AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone 4 reception issues, "grip of death" reports

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 4 reception issues, "grip of death" reports
Page 3 of 29 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-24, 12:11

Yeah, it's something about bridging/connecting those two different types of antennas. You can touch each one, on the metal, with no problem. But having the bulk of your hand (that fleshy big part between your thumb and forefinger) covering/touching each antenna (and thereby "connecting" them) seems to wig it out, or cause a short or jump (or whatever the hell the right word is).

And it's tough to believe this issue didn't rear its head at Apple, during the testing stages, in a big, noticeable way. They've been working on this for, what, 6-12 months? And in less than 24 hours on the street, regular people/customers discover this?

Something's off, and sounds a little strange. There's no way this can be "news" to Apple...

Off-topic (click to toggle):
And it's really odd that everywhere I'm reading is talking about "right-handed people hold phones with their left hands" because I've never done that. The few times I've had to - to write something or whatever - I'm an uncoordinated mess...my left hand doesn't have good "phone-holding" grip, and I don't think my left ear hears as well as my right (in fact, I know it doesn't).

When I hold a phone in my left hand, it's like me trying to write left handed...I can do it, but it's not natural and it's shaky and uncomfortable and takes twice as long. I've dropped phones before, holding them left-handed. I guess I don't have that familiar grip/muscle-memory thing going?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-06-24, 12:18

I've always held my phone in my right hand too. (Right handed here.)
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-06-24, 12:21

It makes sense for a righty to hold a phone with the left hand, because you would use the fingers on your right hand to dial (i.e. the action requiring more acuity/dexterity*). Do you guys dial with left or right hand?

*anybody ever stop to consider the true meaning of that word? If I were a lefty, I'd be quite offended.
rdlomas

Send a message via AIM to rdlomas Send a message via Yahoo to rdlomas  
2010-06-24, 12:35

Doesn't it seem like this "problem" would be immediately mentioned/noticed when the new antenna design was first even suggested?

If this turns into a huge problem, wow you'd have to really hand it to Apple for being so obsessed with a fancy pants design that they overlooked the most basic requirement of any cell phone...

...good reception.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-06-24, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
It makes sense for a righty to hold a phone with the left hand, because you would use the fingers on your right hand to dial (i.e. the action requiring more acuity/dexterity*). Do you guys dial with left or right hand?

*anybody ever stop to consider the true meaning of that word? If I were a lefty, I'd be quite offended.
Yeah that's why I hold mine in my left hand, because my right hand is more accurate for doing things on the phone. I don't think the righty/lefty thing is bad. Now, if it were right/wrongy...
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-06-24, 12:48

I'm a lefty so if this is a design issue, at least it won't affect me (hold in right hand). Of course, not owning an iPhone4 makes this a non-issue for me as well.
Noel

2010-06-24, 12:50

Quote:

What's worse is that "sinister" comes for the Latin word for left
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-06-24, 12:52

Maybe if you can prove you are left handed you can get a discount on the Bumpers!
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-06-24, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel View Post
What's worse is that "sinister" comes for the Latin word for left
Right. I mean correct.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-24, 12:56

On a traditional wall phone or wireless phone (I barely even use either anymore as I've had only a cell phone since June 2004, but there's one at my Mom's house and the house of some friends), I pick it up my right hand. If I can reach the buttons, I simply dial with my right thumb, like I do on my phone. If not, I use my left index finger to dial the numbers.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-06-24, 13:03

Did you say you were right-handed or left-handed?
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-06-24, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
You know, if there isn't a fix for this...Apple could kinda cut everyone some slack and, oh I don't know...knock it off with their nutball Bumper pricing. $29 seems a little ridiculous for a piece of rubber. So if they've unleashed a slightly flawed, not-quite-thought-out product into the world (and are charging $200-300 a pop for it), the least they could do is adjust the pricing on those bumpers to a more friendly $4.99-9.99.

Especially if it's something that is truly needed to held solve this issue. I'd spend $5-10 (even though it's Apple's fault). But $30, just to use the thing I've spend 10x that on? That would bother me a bit. That's not really part of the arrangement. By definition, an "accessory" isn't something vital to the operation/usage of the thing. But if we're all forced to "get a Bumper", then Apple needs to reconsider some numbers and adjust accordingly.

It'll be interesting to learn what comes of this in the coming weeks...hardware? Software? A bit of both? Recalls? Replacements? An e-mail from Jobs saying "then use your right hand"?

I'm sure, as we speak, someone's already stirring up the idea of a lawsuit... Who's that one guy who's always pulling that stuff? You know he's already got the papers going...
You are far too much an apple apologist!

If this is truly an issue, which it appears it is, Apple had better start giving away those bumpers with every iPhone.
Quagmire
meh

2010-06-24, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post

If this is truly an issue, which it appears it is, Apple had better start giving away those bumpers with every iPhone.
Thing is, is it software or hardware that is causing the issue? 3G and 3GS owners are reporting that it is happening to them with iOS 4.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-24, 13:10

Quote:
Did you say you were right-handed or left-handed?
I'm right-handed. But I dial phone numbers, throw frisbee and drink with my left hand.

I write, shave, brush my teeth, hold the phone, throw a baseball or football, use TV remote, etc. with my right. And I play guitar right-handed (not McCartney/Hendrix/Easton).
rdlomas

Send a message via AIM to rdlomas Send a message via Yahoo to rdlomas  
2010-06-24, 13:39

The Bumpers should be free if this is a hardware issue.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-06-24, 13:39

I have a weird wondering that the antenna problem wasn't spotted sooner because the field testing was done in a plastic case that made them look like iPhone 3GS. (Apologies for linking to Gizmodo.)
zippy
Veteran Member

2010-06-24, 13:42

Quote:
I'm right-handed. But I dial phone numbers, throw frisbee and drink with my left hand.
If you look like a girl when you throw that frisbee, you're right handed. If not, you're ambidextrous.
Quagmire
meh

2010-06-24, 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I have a weird wondering that the antenna problem wasn't spotted sooner because the field testing was done in a plastic case that made them look like iPhone 3GS. (Apologies for linking to Gizmodo.)
I am sure they did naked testing on campus and home.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-24, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlomas View Post
The Bumpers should be free if this is a hardware issue.
I agree. I was just trying to approach it from a real-world standpoint, and I had a hard time imagining Apple giving something like that away for free. I'm a realist, after all.

But yes...if this is all some boneheaded, form-over-function, "design decision" (and those Bumpers solve it), then hell...Apple should, without question, be tossing them in with every iPhone 4 purchase. That's the least they can do.

And just for purposes of stock inventory/management, they don't even have to get cute or clever with it...simply give the black and white ones away. Anyone wanting a color can "splurge" and pay for the privilege. But I'd put a white one on my white iPhone if it was free, sure (the more I play with that white phone + orange bumper at the online store, the more I'm convinced I might be setting myself up for an ass-beating or something). It's a bit, how should I say...stylish (apply your favorite, more crude take on "stylish").

Then again, what do I care? It's my money, and my bill.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-06-24, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
If you look like a girl when you throw that frisbee, you're right handed. If not, you're ambidextrous.
spiraling further off-topic:

Spoiler (click to toggle):
I am decidedly left-handed but dribble a basketball with my right. I can do it with left too but for some reason I naturally place the ball on my right side. Then again, baseball players learn to catch with their weak hand, so anyone can probably train themselves to do something with their opposite hand. I had a bowling instructor (I took bowling for my college PE credit!) who was lefty and was a perfect mirror for most folks since he was a lefty, but he learned to bowl right-handed to teach folks like me too.

I am not quite keeping up but are people actually dropping calls or not getting through when holding this area of the phone, or is it just the "bars" test that is the hubub? If the latter, again, it's something my 2G and 3G iPhones can reproduce without the iPhone 4.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-24, 13:55

No, there are actual lost/dropped calls.

There's a video at Engadget where this is demonstrated quite vividly. Lemme see if I can find it...

EDIT: Ah, here you go...watch both videos.

You know what would/would've solve(d) this? If they'd simply made sure those "breaks" were located at the top of the phone and the bottom. Because no matter which hand you use, or how you grip your phone, I don't think anyone covers or touches the bottom or tops of their iPhone when they're using it. So that should greatly reduce the chances of this happening if those seams were there. Plus, that would mean you only have to have two of them (because I think that bottom right one is more for a visual "balance" look because that's still part of the main phone/GSM antenna, right?)
Dave
Ninja Editor

2010-06-24, 14:11

Quote:
You know what would/would've solve(d) this?
Yeah, $0.10 worth of plastic around the edges of the phone.

Seriously, though, does anyone *know* that the bumpers solve this, or is it just conjecture based on speculation as to the cause?

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
zippy
Veteran Member

2010-06-24, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Yeah, $0.10 worth of plastic around the edges of the phone.

Seriously, though, does anyone *know* that the bumpers solve this, or is it just conjecture based on speculation as to the cause?
Macrumors has stated that some users who have been able to replicate the problem have also been able to eliminate the problem by using a bumper.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-24, 14:16

I've not heard anything solid. Just guessing on the skin touching both parts, and maybe that rubber/plastic barrier prevents it? But I think it's all just theory at the moment. Why is nobody on Engadget or MacRumors testing this?!

Oops, zippy got me.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-06-24, 14:19

I suspicious that the bumpers were the engineered solution, and his Steveness didn't like the look enough to approve them as a standard fitting.
zippy
Veteran Member

2010-06-24, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I suspicious that the bumpers were the engineered solution, and his Steveness didn't like the look enough to approve them as a standard fitting.
That's crossed my mind too.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-24, 14:25

Well, the story is starting to slowly crop up in the mainstream, non-tech press. So, as I suspected yesterday, things might get a little ugly and weird today. Because you know there are companies and individuals out there who are more-than-ready to jump on Apple's nuts about anything...and if this is all the "ammo" they need (and, granted, it's a legit issue and complaint), they're gonna play it for all it's worth.

Apple will have to release some sort of comment within the next couple of days, I'm betting.

Meanwhile, I eagerly await the dozens of "Apple Design...Too Clever For Its Own Good?" articles that are sure to come.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-06-24, 14:28

Quote:
Well, the story is starting to slowly crop up in the mainstream, non-tech press. So, as I suspected yesterday, things might get a little ugly and weird today. Because you know there are companies and individuals out there who are more-than-ready to jump on Apple's nuts about anything...and if this is all the "ammo" they need (and, granted, it's a legit issue and complaint), they're gonna play it for all it's worth.

Apple will have to release some sort of comment within the next couple of days, I'm betting.
I'm amazed they haven't already, just to ease the concerns of the thousands waiting on line, and the thousands more who are now having second thoughts about buying one, like myself.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-06-24, 14:35

I agree. The silence isn't really helping, is it? Sure, I want a white one so I'm having to sit it out anyway. But I can say in all honesty that if my plan was to wake up this morning and cruise the more out-of-the-way Walmarts and Radio Shack stores in hopes of landing an iPhone 4 today, I probably would've aborted the mission. I know I would've. Just to see what the next several days bring, and what we learn or hear from Apple (or anyone in a position to know).

It's one thing if a new iPod has a "fast-forward" or CoverFlow glitch that requires a software fix, right out of the chute. Fine, whatever. It happens. But when we're talking about a phone - which is what the iPhone is, first and foremost - then this is serious. Nobody wants a phone you can't use to make - and reliably maintain - calls. I don't care how nice it looks, or how pretty the screen is. Or how awesome the new camera might be. Those are all side points and icing on the cake to the main function/purpose.

And it doesn't matter that it's "not happening to everyone". That's not the point. It shouldn't be happening period, and buying such a device should not be like going to Vegas and putting down $199 or $299 on a "maybe" or a roll of the dice. You shouldn't have to hope you "get lucky" when laying out money like this for such a device. That's not how it works.

So, yeah...

And the fact that it seems to be such an obvious, "W(hy)TF wasn't this picked up on months ago?!" thing somehow makes it more aggravating. And nutty.

And, for once, you can't even lay this at the feet of AT&T (who is probably breathing a sigh of relief today..."whew...at least it's not us lousing everything up!")
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-06-24, 14:42

Also haven't heard of people having activation issues either, unlike past releases.

[/silver lining]

[edit]
Waiting for the missus to get home so I can zip over to the Apple store and check out a model in person, if I can get in the door that is.