MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance
Page 21 of 21 First Previous 17 18 19 20 [21]  Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-12-20, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Sent! Only some of these have the nether included. I forgot to grab the nether and end for our last world from T's server before the shutdown. Maybe if I can get a copy of yours, I can merge them back together. Not sure if I still have SSH access to anything on your network.

Also, note that since the original Bridgeport started on a very early alpha version of Minecraft and has gone through multiple migrations over the years, some things in there are kind of weird or broken. Chests are sometimes rotated and disconnected. Some paintings fall off the walls when you come near them. Some doors and nether portals are glitchy. I'm pretty sure this is all because at some point in the alpha or beta versions Mojang decided to rotate the whole universe by 90 degrees, and existing entities preserved their direction for a while but eventually got lost or flipped in one of the migrations.
I just PM'd you a direct link to all the worlds. Thanks to the others, it doesn't have the nginx file size limit we faced earlier. Everything you had access to has been shutdown and archived. The link though, gives full world backups which includes all files, not just the region ones.

I'm actually looking forward to hanging out in Bridgeport again. I really enjoyed that world the most by far. That was back when lighting was new and could burn whole skywalks and forests!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-05, 14:21

I don't know why I didn't catch this sooner!

Sorry that the server had to be dropped, and thanks to Turtle and Brad for all those fun, fun years. I haven't been able to log in for over a year, but I am very thankful to the effort that went into hosting it.

Also, thanks to 709 for showing me the ropes when I first started playing, and for showing Jess around for the short time she was able to log in.

Great fun! Perhaps some day we will be able to "find a way"!

Thanks!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-05, 18:07

It is hard to believe it has been as long as it have since the server was shutdown!

I’m still glad to have been able to host it as long as I did.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2024-01-21, 22:38

I missed this, too, though time with MC has been very little and relegated to skyblock challenge packs mostly for the last while. Thank you for everything with the server over the years. The memories will ever be with me, and so many of the late nights in the early days having conversations with Robo on the Skybridge overlooking the Mana Tree in Bridgeport helped me through one of the most difficult times in my life. I miss you all, and having the time to game together. If we find time to do any sort of reunion event, I'd love to be a part!

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-24, 12:16

I've opened a conversation with Turtle about hosting a Minecraft server for the group. But, I have no intention of going through the effort unless it's something our AN Minecrafters would like to explore.

So, thoughts?

Edit: If we do this, we can either try to get the AN server running on my system, or we can start entirely from scratch.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)

Last edited by kscherer : 2024-01-25 at 16:32.
¡Damned!

2024-01-26, 09:41

I'd be up for it, of course. The all-night-every-night days are long past, but I'd certainly enjoy a place where we can occasionally bump into each other.

If it comes to pass, I'd vote for a new world. The last in-between world we had where I lived with the villagers reminded me how fun MC can be when starting from scratch.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-26, 09:51

I'd vote for from scratch too.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-26, 11:34

If we start from scratch, I'd like to actually find a fun world seed. I've been watching a lot of Minecraft "best seeds" videos and there are some super cool options.

There are some really cool seeds, and we could post some to see which we like best. Personally, I like the idea of a central "spawn" island location that we don't build on, and then explore outward. We could have a chest with some boats and you just pop out and go off across the ocean.

I have a running list of 7 island seeds that are very cool, one of which is at the culmination of most biomes.

Edit:

Here is a list of seeds that I have been exploring. Feel free to start a new single-player survival world and give them a go in Creative so you can fly around a bit.

Hopefully those are right. In all seven, you should spawn on an island.

Last edited by kscherer : 2024-01-26 at 11:54.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-01-31, 01:08

https://youtube.com/shorts/LCyzkjuQx...aGxJLVw40HfOqw

MEMORIES!!!

¡Damned!

2024-01-31, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Out of the list I like these 2 the best. The first one has the best island (and some immediate danger w/ the Pillagers), the second has the best proximity to varied biomes, like you say.

Quote:
Personally, I like the idea of a central "spawn" island location that we don't build on, and then explore outward. We could have a chest with some boats and you just pop out and go off across the ocean.
I like this idea as well, but if we're not building on it maybe it should just be a small patch of land in the sea? I took the world randomizer for a few hundred spins and holy shit, I can appreciate what you went through to find those seven worlds, because finding one with a real, open-water surrounded island and biome proximity is quite the chore.

I found one like I'm talking about, total:

OR, if you're just gonna drop people on an island unarmed in the middle of the night... ...maybe make it on a mushroom island? I found one decent contender with good biome proximity:

Thing is, for whatever reason, MC doesn't like setting your Spawn Point on mushroom land even if it's close to 0,0, so we'd have to move the SP from the ridiculous area it's placed.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-31, 18:17

A nice point of having one of the bigger islands as a spawn point is that there are enough resources on them that a player can grab some coal, wood, and iron before bailing out.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-31, 18:21

Also, I found those seeds on YouTube. Who has time to randomly explore?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-31, 18:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I found one like I'm talking about, total:
This one is good if you like small. 'Cause,

Might have to drop some chests with basic supplies on that little sucker. Ain't gonna get very far on nothing but crickets and sand!

Of the two you like, I like -2111445014944430058 the best. The proximity to all the biomes makes for better adventure, and the island is big enough to provide ample resources to get started.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-02-01, 00:03

OMG - how much would we need to contribute?

I might not visit often, but it would be so cool to have one again.

From SCRATCH would be amazing.

¡Damned!

2024-02-01, 09:44

Quote:
A nice point of having one of the bigger islands as a spawn point is that there are enough resources on them that a player can grab some coal, wood, and iron before bailing out.
Aha. I took "don't build on" as "this place is a sanctuary. here's a boat. now fuck off and pray for land"

This makes more sense. And I like that it has cherry trees.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-01, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
OMG - how much would we need to contribute?

I might not visit often, but it would be so cool to have one again.

From SCRATCH would be amazing.

I'm hoping no one has to contribute anything. I have a computer available, and I have the necessary bandwidth for the few players we still have. I've asked Turtle for a little help with configuring the network bits, and he's made himself available should I bang into obstacles. I have to find the time and a place for the iMac close enough to the router to cable in. Other than that, I think I have everything I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Aha. I took "don't build on" as "this place is a sanctuary. here's a boat. now fuck off and pray for land"

This makes more sense. And I like that it has cherry trees.
As long as everyone re-plants trees, it should be ok. And, I'm thinking a few "temporary" cabins scattered about the place would add a bit of character. Nothing bigger than, say, 10x10 and single-level so we have a place to stay whilst we work out the necessaries to travel with.

Also — and I'm pretty adamant about this, because I *HATE* "mining" with crappy picks — I'll want to drop in a chest with some fancy picks in them. Use them if you want, don't if you don't want. Otherwise, the server will be in survival mode!

I'm also thinking about installing some command blocks instead of the usual Nether Hub. Hubs take ages to build out and kind of wreck the entire Nether "experience". Jess and I have taken to creating a "Command Hub" instead, where we install command blocks in a central location that get you to wherever the hell your creation is at, and another at your spot to get back to wherever "Community Central" is located. They're easy to drop in, can be hidden away in a corner of your build, and their surroundings can be customized without having to worry over nether portals and all their noises. Nothing gonna stop you from building your own nether portal, I'm just thinking the place will look/feel nicer without the Nether being loaded with a "network" of them. Thoughts on that?

Last edited by kscherer : 2024-02-01 at 12:03.
¡Damned!

2024-02-02, 10:29

The Command Hub idea sounds great. At one point back in the olden times we were able to /tp (iirc) back and forth between two player-placed beds, and it was friggin great. So much time saved instead of hauling loot for miles. Also, I'm totally fines with never having to build another hanging Nether path in my life. If I need to cut a path between portals I'll do it up near the bedrock roof or the bedrock floor, as I've done in a few past worlds.

So it goes.