Own chips again?
Page 5 of 5 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5]  Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-06-23, 21:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
The one thing that stands out, though, is that XDR display, which is Thunderbolt. Will that thing be a one trick pony?
That thunderbolt display reminds me of the ADC (Apple display connector) equipped displays Apple made years ago. ADC didn't last long, so the monitors were not a good investment. Yet even those got a few refreshes before being useless, and there was an adapter to make it worth with DVI-D connectors.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-06-23, 23:58

I don’t think thunderbolt is going away.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-06-24, 04:23

One thing that's nice about this is that Rosetta 2 apparently supports mixing x86 and ARM plug-ins in the same app. This was missing in Rosetta 1, so you couldn't, say, run Intel Photoshop with some old PowerPC plug-ins.

I think the 68k emulator in PowerPC back in the day did support it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-24, 08:24

I'm still seeing articles that indicate you will be able to run Windows VMs on the new systems. Time will tell for sure. If these chips are as powerful as they say they are, they should be able to emulate and function. Not sure what kind of performance we would see, but it should function.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-06-24, 09:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I'm still seeing articles that indicate you will be able to run Windows VMs on the new systems. Time will tell for sure. If these chips are as powerful as they say they are, they should be able to emulate and function. Not sure what kind of performance we would see, but it should function.
My understanding is booting non-macOS isn't supported at all. I'm guessing they didn't bother implementing something like OpenFirmware or EFI.

As for virtualizing, they didn't mention Windows, but I'm guessing Parallels and VMware will be eager to find a way to support virtual Windows on ARM. That supports emulating 32-bit x86. At what speed, as you say, remains quite a question.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-06-24, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
My understanding is booting non-macOS isn't supported at all. I'm guessing they didn't bother implementing something like OpenFirmware or EFI.

As for virtualizing, they didn't mention Windows, but I'm guessing Parallels and VMware will be eager to find a way to support virtual Windows on ARM. That supports emulating 32-bit x86. At what speed, as you say, remains quite a question.
I think the upcoming iMac refresh will be extremely popular with those needing Bootcamp. Everyone else will wait for the Ax version.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-24, 13:04

If/when I move to an Ax Mac I'll just move my work VM into an ESXi host and RDP into it. I don't think that will happen, but I have no desire to buy a PC since I only need it for the day job. My company provided me a desktop for the job, but I made it an ESXi host and run test stuff off of it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-24, 15:00

I suspect that Windows virtualization will have to go down the same path that VirtualPC took back in the Power days of Mac computing. Basically, the entire instruction set will have to be virtualized. VirtualPC was slow as hell, but it did work.

So, I guess there is hope.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-24, 15:15

I looked at the DTK for Ax and know it isn't something I'm going to do. It is a loaner and you can't do much with it. I'll wait until someone else shares the details.

I'm needing a new desktop because I'm tired of the hackintosh bugs. My MBP doing desktop duty with the dock is just not enough power alone. Now I'm stuck trying to figure out if I'm going to go with a current mini or suck it up and wait out a production Ax. Generally speaking I go with "if I need it now, get it now" mindset. This is a little different though.

chucker

2020-06-24, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I suspect that Windows virtualization will have to go down the same path that VirtualPC took back in the Power days of Mac computing. Basically, the entire instruction set will have to be virtualized. VirtualPC was slow as hell, but it did work.

So, I guess there is hope.
Well, yes and no — increasing portions of Windows now run on ARM. Macs might ironically become a big driver for Microsoft to boost those efforts.

And Windows on ARM has a built-in x86 (32-bit) emulator. So, we'll see?
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-08-15, 15:31

I know Apple has its hands full with the Mac transition.
But articles like this make me wonder what would happen if Apple decided to turn the Apple TV into a full-fledged game console.

If heat restraints are one of the major design issues, ARM chips would seem to have an advantage there, right?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-08-15, 16:12

Not really, for it to compete with existing consoles they'd have to up the anti power wise, so active cooling would be a must anyway. I don't see room for another console on the market, unless we get some idea how many people are actually using Apple Arcade and such, I wouldn't rush in to it. Even if a lot of people are using Apple Arcade, that doesn't mean they'd rush out for an Apple console.