Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Change .Mac email address in Apple ID?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Change .Mac email address in Apple ID?
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-06-01, 08:18

I have set my .Mac account to not auto-renew after two years of absolutely mediocre service. The email address for my .Mac account is my Apple ID (I have used Gmail for the past two years). I want to change the email address in my Apple ID to my Gmail one, but apparently if you use your .Mac email address you aren't allowed to ever change it to another email address...When i went through all the steps I was denied the ability to change it to Gmail with this message:

"Changing your .Mac Apple ID is not allowed. If you would like to use a new email address, please create a new Apple ID"

The reason i want to change my Apple ID email address is so i don't lose my purchase history (so i can upgrade my available songs to iTunes Plus) and my AppleCare agreements are tied to that account.

I talked to online customer service (the Live Chat thing) and he said you cannot do what i'm trying to do, and to call tech support. I called tech support using the provided number, but when i said it was for .Mac, a voice came on giving me a website to look at and the phone call ended -- not cool. www.apple.com/support/dotmac was pretty useless for my needs.

Has anyone successfully done this (changed the email address of their Apple ID from a .Mac email address to anything else?)

digitaldave

2007-06-01, 11:21

You can change your email address for the ITMS, but the log in will still be your old .Mac address. I know you can do this, because I've done it, and for the same reasons you want to . Here's what to do...
  • Open up ITMS
  • Click on the Account link in Quick Links (or on the button near the top with your account name)
  • Click on 'Edit Account Info'
  • There should be an option to change your email address, just below the Apple ID. Enter your new email address.

Hope that helps .
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-06-01, 11:38

Ah, i see. So everything will be sent to my Gmail, i just ahve to remember my Apple ID can never change. Got it. Thanks!