Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Watches with exciting design
Page 3 of 5 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5  Next Thread Tools
addison
Formerly โ€œAWMโ€

2011-08-31, 00:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400 View Post
This. I like the feeling of symbiosis the wearer has with a mechanical watchโ€”it needs you as much as you need it. I like how they're intricately designed machines. Plus, a few years after the nuclear apocalypse, my watch will work and you'll be unable to find a battery. ;-)
That is until you need a service! Automatics are the gift that keep on giving in that respect. A battery is a hell of a lot cheaper. As for accuracy I have a Datejust that was extremely accurate over time though it's currently out of commission. I also have an older Omega Seamaster that my grandfather received when he retired from GM that was pretty accurate. That too needs some repair though.

Seiko has a higher end line of watches called Grand Seiko that are really nice. This one is similar looking to the other Seiko a few posts up.

Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2012-01-04, 15:50

Yesterday, I started looking for a modestly priced analog watch for around US$200. Generally speaking, I would like to find something solid, but less expensive and less visible than my brushed-steel Omega Seamaster.

First, I browsed for styles on WatchReport.com. Then, I moved on to Amazon.com for more reasonably priced options. I quickly settled on the simple military/pilot style that dominated our discussion this summer. So I thought it was time to revive this thread!

My Omega has a 36mm case, which is perfect for my relatively small wrists. So, ideally, I don't want to get anything larger than a 40mm case. I really would like something non-shiny. So I am favoring a matte case and dark dial, but with easily readable large numerals and hands that will glow brightly all night. Although I have doubts about the practicality of a leather bracelet, I like the look. In practice, I'll likely end up with a natural rubber bracelet, like the one on my first quality watch, a TAG Heuer dive watch that my Swiss grandmother got my for my high school graduation.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2012-01-04, 16:04

Here's what I've come up with over the last 24 hours:

Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Military Black Plated Steel Canvas Strap Watch ($176)

I love the look of this watch. The large 42mm case would likely take a some getting used to.

Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Canvas Strap Watch ($87)

This is a more reasonably sized option from Citizen. It comes in at an even lower price point. But the hashmarks are somewhat thin and fine.

Tissot Men's PR 100 Black Dial and Bracelet Watch ($298)

This Tissot with black metal band would be a slightly more expensive option. At this price point, I doubt that there is any advantage buying a Swiss over a Japanese watch. But I'd probably catch less flak from my Swiss family if I chose a Swiss timepiece.

What do you guys think? I'm open to any suggestions, including ones to open my mind beyond the styles above.

PS: I love the black dial Stowa Flieger that torifile picked up. And the IWC that Mac+ got as a gift from his generous wife is lovely as well. But since I have embarked on a full-house renovation back in the States, whose complexity and cost have spiraled out of control, I am in no position to splurge on a fancy watch right now.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.

Last edited by Escher : 2012-01-04 at 17:10.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2012-01-05, 03:26

After sleeping over it, I still like the Citzen Eco-Drive in black plated steel with the green dial, large numerals, and black canvas strap. It's actually only $131 on Amazon (not sure whether I misread or mistyped yesterday, or whether the price went down).

Two more watches have appeared on my radar, both from Torgoen Swiss.

The first is a T05 Series with a black 42mm dial, dark gray numerals, red/white luminous marks, black case, black rubber band and, to top it all off, a 24h/GMT hand to boot!

The second is a T10 Series with a 45mm carbon fiber dial, giant white numerals and marks, black case, and black leather band.

However, two things worry me about these. They are both fairly large, especially the T10 at 45mm. And I'm somewhat suspicious of the "Torgoen Swiss" brand. As far as I can tell, it's an American company. The website does state that they use a movement sourced from Ronda in Switzerland. But the watches are apparently made in China.

Both watches cost just short of $300, which would be fine. And I very much like their design and style. I'm just not sure about buying a brand that seems to focus more on flashy marketing than the mechanical substance of its watches...

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-01-05, 05:53

Love the citizen designs, used to have one similar to the cheapest, that would be my choice, especially at 87 dollars.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2012-01-05, 09:20

Hey watch gurus!

I've recently started thinking about getting a watch. But i'm not quite sure where to actually go see them in person/try them on besides something like Macy's. Any recommendations?
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2012-01-05, 18:21

I got one of these for Xmas. Very happy with it...

http://www.skagen.com/en-US/item/233XLTTM.fx
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2012-01-06, 00:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
Love the citizen designs, used to have one similar to the cheapest, that would be my choice, especially at 87 dollars.
There is definitely much to be said for the $87 Citizen watch! The only deal that can top it is to stick with my existing watches.

I added a smiley but I'm actually completely serious. This thread and my obsessive search for a watch I really don't need reminds me of the witty URL for a personal finance website, StopBuyingCrap.com! Wise words, I tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
I got one of these for Xmas. Very happy with it...
http://www.skagen.com/en-US/item/233XLTTM.fx
I've actually had several Skagen watches in and out of my Amazon shopping cart over the last 48 hours. But I keep removing them because they look just too much like the Swatches that I used to wear (and buy/sell for profit at the peak of the craze) in the early 1990's.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-01-06, 04:08

Have you thought of looking at Swiss Army watches? I bought my dad a new one from a seller over at watchuseek.com (again, a terrible URL but a great watch site) for $250 shipped. It was a great value for a really nice watch.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2012-01-06, 08:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher View Post
I've actually had several Skagen watches in and out of my Amazon shopping cart over the last 48 hours. But I keep removing them because they look just too much like the Swatches that I used to wear (and buy/sell for profit at the peak of the craze) in the early 1990's.
I'd never heard of the brand, I just saw it in the jewellers window and liked the simple design, and the size. Or, to be specific, the lack of it. Why are so many mens watches thick enough to hide a small battleship inside them!?!

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-01-06, 08:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
I'd never heard of the brand, I just saw it in the jewellers window and liked the simple design, and the size. Or, to be specific, the lack of it. Why are so many mens watches thick enough to hide a small battleship inside them!?!
The vagaries of fashion. Why did cars grow enormous brand badges on the front a few years ago? Bling culture.

I like my watches small, the way they should be.

I may have something to add to this thread in the near future, since I turned thirty a few weeks ago and dropped hints like mad to my girlfriend. She assures me something's in the works.

Escher: I think I like the first Citizen you presented best, of the ones you mention.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2012-01-09, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
Thanks, geriatric. The lower-priced Citizen is what I ended up ordering. It arrives tomorrow.

Some of the reasons for my choice: I had a really hard time coming to a decision. So I figured that the least expensive choice was the least likely to cause major regret. More seriously, the inexpensive Citizen was the only watch with a reasonably small diameter case, to match my relatively wimpy wrist. And with the black dial, I can always swap out the strap for another color and/or material, e.g. a black leather strap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Have you thought of looking at Swiss Army watches? I bought my dad a new one from a seller over at watchuseek.com (again, a terrible URL but a great watch site) for $250 shipped. It was a great value for a really nice watch.
The watchuseek.com URL is indeed terrible. But checking out their forum made me realize how many choices are out there, even when looking for something relatively specific, like a pilot-style watch. I absolutely cannot believe how many different brands are out there, often producing look-alikes of fancier brands! All this makes selecting a new Mac or buying a new car look like a kids' game.

Right, torifile. I did look at Swiss Army brand watches. There are a couple of them within my wife's family here in the US, and they are generally well-liked. However, being Swiss and owning an actual Swiss Army-issue pocket knife (when I got mine they were silver and no longer red), I cannot get myself to buy anything other than a knife from Victorinox (owners of the "Swiss Army" brand) and Wenger (the second Swiss manufacturer of pocket knives, which was bought out by Victorinox in 2005).

With all this said, that Torgoen with the dual-time (GMT/24h) function still looks awfully tempting. Hopefully I'll be able to try it on in-store to see whether it fits my wrist before I click "buy." Besides that, I'm discovering new watch brands and attractive new designs and styles every day now...

Bottom line: I reserve the right to buy additional watches!

Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2012-01-10, 00:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Escher: I think I like the first Citizen you presented best, of the ones you mention.
Thanks for the feedback, DG. That was my initial favorite. I really love the clear layout of the dial with only the 12-3-6-9 numerals. But I got concerned about the military green color of the dial. While I like fatigue green, I'm not sure it would go well with either my casual or my professional wardrobe. Maybe I'll pick it up when my newfound addiction to buying watches gets out of control...

PS: Happy Birthday, DG! Hope your GF comes through.

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-01-11, 20:14

I only just found this. I want one. This has to be the coolest watch ever.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H4...ode=MTY1NDA4Mg
Mac+
9" monochrome

2012-02-02, 23:40

This is a bit late - but 2012 sees the release of a new series of Pilot's watches from IWC.
http://www.iwc.com/en-us/collection/pilots/
http://www.iwc.com/en-us/experiences...lot-novelties/

Noticed this today too - the sharing watch. I like the simplicity.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
gsxrboy

2012-02-03, 00:49

With the euro exchange rate looking good in my favour, I'm sorely tempted by a Steinhart NAV B Chrono II. A lot of watch for a pretty reasonable price but I should sort out some other stuff first.

I'd totally take a Grand Seiko GMT as well, they are amazingly well made. On par with the very best.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-03-15, 06:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher View Post
PS: Happy Birthday, DG! Hope your GF comes through.
Cheers. She certainly did! However, there was a four-month waiting list for the model she got me.

Here's a couple of photos. I can light things better than this, but only if I have literally a couple of hours to futz around with light modifiers and polarising filters. If I ever do that, I'll be sure to show off in this thread.

It's a Stowa Antea Kleine Sekunde silver: manual-wind, simple, legible, beautiful, high-quality, unostentatious (except the display back, perhaps), can be dressed up or down. Exactly my style. I love it!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2012-03-15, 07:15

Congratulations DG - beautiful piece.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-15, 12:58

Very nice, DG! I still love my Stowa. I thought about the Antea but I think the face is a touch to small for me and a tad dressy for my style. Stowa make beautiful watches, don't they? I find the very slight whirring sound soothing.

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-03-15, 14:02

Cool.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-03-16, 10:40

Cheers, all.

I like the sound too, torifile. I have slim wrists, so large watches look faintly ridiculous on me. This one suits me nicely.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-06-02, 14:22

My latest addition.

And the watch I'm actively searching for.

I won't keep all of them at the same time.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-06-17, 22:03

I need to quit looking at watches.

I sold my Stowa flieger and have replaced it with this. (sorry for the crappy iPhone photo. It doesn't do the watch justice.)

Somebody stop me before I end up spending my tech budget (something I actually make money doing/using) on this addiction.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2012-06-18, 17:42

Here are some of the things I love 'bout the 'nova...

Jack's freaky as shit posts
709 telling it like it is plain and simple or urban dictionary style
Moog's foretelling demise of said company in order to bring forward updates
tori's decisive follow through in terms of going on buying and selling sprees

It looks great tori - as did the pilot watch!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-06-18, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
Here are some of the things I love 'bout the 'nova...

Jack's freaky as shit posts
709 telling it like it is plain and simple or urban dictionary style
Moog's foretelling demise of said company in order to bring forward updates
tori's decisive follow through in terms of going on buying and selling sprees

It looks great tori - as did the pilot watch!

I figure I'm not making a life long decision. It's fun and interesting. I get an experience then move on when it becomes ho hum. I'm not hurting anyone by doing it and at worst it costs me a few bucks. At best, and in most cases, it costs me next to nothing after all is said and done.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2012-06-19, 02:28

You psychiatrists know all the rationalisations answers!

I'm only having fun and probably a little envioius of your decisive manner and just do it attitude. I hope you wear them all in good health.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2012-06-19, 06:31

Just saw this cool piece of advertising for IWC Big Pilot's watches - thought I'd share.

Last edited by Mac+ : 2012-06-19 at 16:32. Reason: Added Big
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-06-19, 17:30

Interesting watch, torifile. (A Sinn? Hard to see with the hand at 12.) However, your post, or at least AppleNova's thread alert with your new post, was reckoned to be watch spam by Gmail.

I'm really enjoying my Stowa Antea. To me, part of the appeal of a mechanical watch is that it should stay with me "forever," each day gaining significance as an artefact of my life. I see it as a reservoir of deeds done, mistakes made, fun had, maybe dreams fulfilled... a life story. True to form, I started chapter one by putting a nice nick in the steel bezel.

Each morning when I wind it up I'm practically forced to reflect on the passage of time, if only for the 15 seconds it takes to wind. For a chronic procrastinator like me, that's a very good thing.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-06-19, 18:07

Yes, a Sinn U1. The thing is built like a tank. Between Stowa and Sinn, I think I've found 2 watch companies I can really be a huge fan of. Sinn puts some amazing tech in their watches (mine is hardened sub steel - nearly impossible to damage) and Stowa just has this incredible craftsmanship and care. Plus, they're both indie so they appeal to my inner hipster.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2012-06-19, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Plus, they're both indie so they appeal to my inner hipster.
Yup, you won't see a Sinn or a Stowa hanging from a bus ceiling. (But that's a fun ad, Mac+. The Big Pilot is aptly named, though. Wrist presence? It would make me look like a seven-year-old!)