AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

macOS High Sierra

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
macOS High Sierra
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2017-06-05, 12:33

"we assure you this name is fully baked" indeed.

Looks like a Snow Leopard equivalent, patching up bugs and improving the experience.

Safari: changes to kill trackers and cross-site ads + killing auto-play sounds amazing!

Photos: faces recognition syncing across devices.

APFS as new filesystem default instead of HFS. Stated benefits: "64-bit, native encryption, crash protection, file and directory cloning, parallelized metadata operations"

Metal2 and graphics improvements and support for external graphics and VR!

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-06-05, 14:41

Now if only they could make file sharing more reliable.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-05, 22:16

So this is looking like a Leopard to Snow Leopard update. Mostly under the hood that most won't notice.

Personally I cheered when I heard the Safari updates with regards to auto-play!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2017-06-06, 08:22

I liked the "Read everything in Safari Reader" option. So many stupid ads on the web these days and Reader makes it so much easier to actually get through the article.

I want to install this on my MacBook, but may wait until the next release.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-06, 08:25

I'm torn too. Do I go ahead and install now and deal with the bugs or what it out at least until public beta? I'm not going to do my phone or Watch this time. I just can't bear the bugs on those two devices.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2017-06-06, 14:02

I"m skipping my Watch for the time being.

Installed it on my iPhone yesterday. Only bug I seem to be running into is the battery drain, which is always a problem in the beginning.

Some slowdowns with transitions and such, but it's overall pretty stable.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-06, 21:47

Looking at the file copy function they showed on the keynote, does APFS use use a de-duplication function? As in, two files that are the same only take up the storage space of one file?

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-06-07, 01:40

No deduplication, no. But copies are COW, so that demo showed what amounts to a hardline. Only when changes occur is significant space needed.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2017-06-11, 22:24

In case anyone is wondering/tempted....
Don’t install these developer betas if you want to be able to use your iPhone, iPad, Mac or watch. They are pretty rough. Even by Apple WWDC beta standards. Particularly iOS 11 on iPhone.
chucker

2017-06-12, 02:15

I have it on my iPad, which I don't really rely on. It's sluggish at times and gets stuck sometimes (it seems, for instance, that a Safari View Controller won't init until you leave the app and then go back), but generally fine — except when it's not: it sometimes hangs altogether, eventually reboots automatically, and then gets stuck in a reboot loop where you'll briefly be able to unlock, then not be able to do anything, and then another reboot follows.

So, in short, no, don't install this unless you're feeling lucky and/or want to adapt your app to use new APIs.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-12, 14:58

When I get the new iPad Pro I might put it on there, but only because I won't be used to the performance on it at that point.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2017-11-29, 11:02

A MASSIVE security vulnerability has been discovered in High Sierra.

https://twitter.com/lemiorhan/status/935578694541770752

Quote:
Dear @AppleSupport, we noticed a *HUGE* security issue at MacOS High Sierra. Anyone can login as "root" with empty password after clicking on login button several times. Are you aware of it @Apple?

You can access it via System Preferences>Users & Groups>Click the lock to make changes. Then use "root" with no password. And try it for several times. Result is unbelievable!

Sounds like the workaround is to set a root password. Probably a good idea for anyone on High Sierra to do this until a patch is released.
chucker

2017-11-29, 11:53

Yup. Pretty bad one.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2017-11-29, 13:40

This was fixed quickly.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2017-12-01, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Now if only they could make file sharing more reliable.
Reading this, after the latest security fix broke file sharing even more, was hysterical.