User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Tiger Release?
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
RC23

2005-01-11, 15:21

I didn't get a chance to see MWSF, im just curious if they mentioned a release date for Tiger?
mooty

2005-01-11, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC23
I didn't get a chance to see MWSF, im just curious if they mentioned a release date for Tiger?
not a word.... 1st half of 2005....
NeverFade

2005-01-11, 18:48

Long before longhorn.... that could mean anything!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-01-11, 19:13

Doesn't look like anything new was demoed, other than the new addition to Dashboard where the dock lifts up to reveal stowed Dashboard widgets you can activate or deactivate. Very cool. Core Image also looks to have a bunch more filters added to its repertoire, although my memory might just suck and nothing is new there.

Looks like we know what the "150 new features" are at this point. No new surprises but that's OK. Core Image, Quartz2DExtweem and the underlying technologies are what will make this release kick major ass. Spotlight will be nice too as long as it doesn't suck system resources to the point of slowing other things down while it indexes.

...into the light of a dark black night.
CoreMac

2005-01-16, 10:54

It's now over 200 features. I'm wondering if Quicktime is the hold up.
jccbin

2005-01-17, 09:46

I'm voting for April 5, 2005. Wink, wink, nod, nod.
checksum

2005-01-17, 19:28

Concurrently with Power5-derived highend workstations.
IonYz

Send a message via AIM to IonYz  
2005-01-17, 22:28

Perhaps with the supplied video card list removed, they are also taking this time to tweak newer Core technologies to work with the Mini. At least to some degree.

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm not fanning the flames of new comers asking "Why doesn't Tiger work with the Mini?" But it would be nice to have the 9200 support in their maybe? A 32MB GPU will support QE, nowhere near as well as a 128MB GPU, but its not offloading it onto the CPU either. Since low-power computers have these 9200s it would be best to keep those processors doing real work right? Who cares if your Dual 6 GHz Power Mac can do it.

Anyway as I've stated before, Tiger should be done when its done. No rush, cause frankly there is no hurry.

/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
RC23

2005-01-18, 13:45

Hmm.. i've been hearing...

sooo, Tiger will only run on G5's? Or will it run on the powerbook i might be getting?
(G4)
iRobot

Send a message via AIM to iRobot  
2005-01-18, 13:49

Tiger will run on G5s, G4s, and probably even G3s.

However, certain elements of core image (and probably other elements) may not be available to users with an insufficent graphics card/out of date processor.

Is anyone else as shocked as I am that this handle wasn't taken?!

Come on, people! iRobot?!
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-01-18, 13:49

Quote:

sooo, Tiger will only run on G5's? Or will it run on the powerbook i might be getting?
(G4)
Tiger will run on older systems as well, how well? has yet to be determined. Also it will be shipped on DVD.
del-uks

2005-01-24, 16:08

Quote:
Today, from MacBidouille:

Microsoft's reply to Apple? - Lionel - 21:36:09

During the Keynote, Steve Jobs didn't miss the opportunity to tease Microsoft when anouncing that Tiger would be released long before Longhorn.
Maybe in an attempt to prevent MacOS to be left alone in the fields, Microsoft has just anounced that a 64 bits version of Windows XP will be released in April.
Thus, if Apple doesn't want Microsoft to steal its thunder, Tiger (which also supports 64 bits) will have to be released in March.

[translation by msd13]

...stay tuned for more happy days...
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-01-24, 16:14

In many respects Panther is better than Longhorn. Bear in mind that Longhorn was for the most part written before MS decided security was a priority. Whatever the view on this or that aspect of Tiger, I think we can assume it's going to be one of the best OS's ever written.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-24, 16:20

Quote:
You need to get your ears checked.

Not only would it be phenomenally stupid to lock out G3 and G4 users (killing sales and support to millions of users), it would also mark a dramatic change in Apple's programming philosophy. Each major revision of Mac OS X so far has gotten faster on the same hardware while still introducing new features, throttling back features like Quartz Extreme if the hardware won't support it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
blissed

2005-01-24, 19:24

Any thoughts on when it will finally be released? I've heard end of March, June, August... What's it cost to upgrade?
ixocean

2005-01-24, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by del-uks

...stay tuned for more happy days...
What would a 64bit XP get you? More spyware, and faster?
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-01-25, 01:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixocean
Drives you over the edge quicker, crashes better.
MacDude15

2005-01-25, 19:44

Tiger is UNDER RATED. Widgets ROCK
holbox

2005-01-25, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissed
Any thoughts on when it will finally be released? I've heard end of March, June, August... What's it cost to upgrade?

Amazon.com is taking orders on TIGER at $129.95. Will ship it when it comes in!
TednDi

2005-01-26, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixocean
a 64 bit virus

Xeno

2005-01-31, 15:16

The MWSF keynote demonstration of Tiger was amazingly unstable compared to previous releases. While this is probably a sign of Tiger just entering what is effectively beta stage, it's possible that Apple could just be trying to throw us off given Apple legal's recent litigious field day.

On the other hand there are a lot of past and upcoming events that may hint to a Tiger release.

* All release of Mac OS X have been on a 24th or 25th (Not an actual factor, but just something to note).

* The release of 64-bit Windows XP in April (Microsoft tried to overshadow the release of Mac OS X with the launch of XP)

* NAB in April

* Jobs probably will not launch Tiger at WWDC as a few weeks are initially between the press release of it's release date and it's actual launch.

I suspect, that Tiger will probably be launched in April, if not, I suspect Apple's showing at NAB may provide significantly greater insight into its development.

Also, the price has been slated to remain stable, though one hopes that Apple does not go and revise it because of "harder to implement than first thought" comments.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-31, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno
The MWSF keynote demonstration of Tiger was amazingly unstable compared to previous releases.
Huh? It stalled only once during the demonstration, as I recall. The problems after Jobs switched to a different machine were because it had a virgin install and applications hadn't been opened yet.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Xeno

2005-01-31, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Huh? It stalled only once during the demonstration, as I recall. The problems after Jobs switched to a different machine were because it had a virgin install and applications hadn't been opened yet.
It didn't really stall, he just couldn't get out of that mode. I'm sure a force quit or something might have fixed it, but the system itself did not crash. However, the slideshow mode in Mail did not add the photos to iPhoto, Spotlight didn't get a document he wanted, etc. There were a few bugs that came up that illustrated a lack of stability in the new features.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-31, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno
the slideshow mode in Mail did not add the photos to iPhoto
I don't feel like pulling up the stream again, but I'm pretty sure this was because of the "you've never opened this application" type dialog because it was a virgin install.

Gregg
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-01-31, 15:50

It was in "XP" mode!
del-uks

2005-01-31, 15:51

Tiger will be ready at WWDC.
So, we'll have to wait until june... but I'm sure it will bug-proof by then.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-01-31, 16:06

Jobs did get that first-run dialog a few times as I recall, but I don't know if that's what Xeo was referring to. It was actually kind of fun to see Jobs slightly peeved at the added security measure, and to watch him handle it rather humorously.

I do remember that he couldn't find some document he was expecting in his Spotlight results. It was a really obvious find IIRC, but he never fond it and went along with something else I think. Hard to say if it was a problem with Spotlight or that the thing just wasn't on the machine.
TednDi

2005-02-01, 10:16

Jobs also said that the iWork pages templates are in greek. They are in Latin.

That is RDF for ya!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-01, 10:47

Unless I'm mistaken (because I haven't seen them in person), the templates are probably in Lorem Ipsum, a fake Latin-like language invented by typesetters.
nomorewindows

2005-02-01, 11:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TednDi
Jobs also said that the iWork pages templates are in greek. They are in Latin.

That is RDF for ya!
I think he must have said "geek" not Greek. Brad is right--Lorem Ipsum.

I'm happy with iWorks, but as someone pointed out earlier, it certainly could have included more art. I can always get my own, but I'm lazy and into instant gratification. What can I say...

Waiting impatiently for Tiger!

"A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other." Baltasar Gracian