AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Found a car for Paul...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Found a car for Paul...
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2009-12-04, 11:30

I wonder if these will be selling anytime soon in Tennessee?

g

maybe we can use the amazon money to get it for him?

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2009-12-04, 11:43

I thought it would have a built in "cone of silence" that nukes all cell phone conversations within a 10 car radius. Now that car I would buy.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-04, 12:03

Wow, that's quite a looker. I usually go for more of a copper or burnt orange on cars, but that "candy tangerine" works on this one. Sure, I'll take one. Thanks!

When I saw this thread's title, I thought it would be another one from the L.A. car show. I saw a picture of it online yesterday, and it was an orange Dodge Viper with black racing stripes.

I'd be okay with either, but I think the Audi is a bit more me (black and orange looks like Halloween; white and orange is a delicious Creamsicle).

I've never been to a big car show like this. I'd like to go sometime, just to see some of these things up close, in person. Probably the closest I'll ever get...

The strange thing is, when I Google that Audi above, all the photos I see of it are red. I don't know if they made a special orange one for the show, or if it's the lighting in that photo or if the lighting on all the Google photos is off (and they're all orange, but look red). Point is, I can't find any other pictures of that Audi above in orange.

EDIT: Okay, I found some. It's orange, and...well, I gotta go repair my zipper. Mariska in the passenger seat...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2009-12-04 at 12:15.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-04, 12:52

This is the second time they've shown off the e-tron concept. The first time, they showed it off in red. Now it's orange. (Next: Yellow?)
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-12-04, 12:57

Who cares about the color? It's called "e-tron" - the only way they could make it geekier is to call it an iTron!

Hmmm... a high-performance electric car.... look out, Tesla!

Quote:
As a refresh, the e-tron concept uses four electric motors with a combined output of 313 horsepower (and a mind-boggling 3,319 lb-ft of torque) to move its 3,527-pound mass to 62 mph in 4.8 seconds. More impressive is its rolling acceleration from 37-75 mph in just 4.1 seconds. The top speed is electronically-limited to 124 mph. According to Audi, we'll see a production version in 2012.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-04, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
This is the second time they've shown off the e-tron concept. The first time, they showed it off in red. Now it's orange. (Next: Yellow?)
Maybe. All the colors of the rainbow?

Speaking of cool cars and "what's to come", etc., I'm still bummed that Saturn never did anything with their Curve concept from a few years ago. I followed it closely, from the first time I saw the poster (and begged the dealership for one). Around the same time, they had posters up for the Sky, although, at that time, it looked very different from what actually came to be sold on the street.

But I think the Curve is pure hotness on a stick. If I could have this in copper or metallic orange...OMG.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-04, 13:00

About the torque...that figure is apparently *measured at the wheels.* Which...nobody else does. The "real" torque is more...sane (I think it's about 260 lb-ft, vs. the Tesla's 273).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-12-04, 18:58

Ooooo. I like that Saturn.... too bad THAT won't come to market.

And I also like orange, though I'm not sure I'd have the nerve to drive it in traffic... it's a great big "Pull Me Over" color.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-12-04, 19:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Speaking of cool cars and "what's to come", etc., I'm still bummed that Saturn never did anything with their Curve concept from a few years ago. I followed it closely, from the first time I saw the poster (and begged the dealership for one). Around the same time, they had posters up for the Sky, although, at that time, it looked very different from what actually came to be sold on the street.

But I think the Curve is pure hotness on a stick. If I could have this in copper or metallic orange...OMG.
If that's not a proof that they were deliberately sabotaging themselves so they could get extra help from Uncle Sam, I don't know what it is...

Seriously, why do they keeping doing this... make up great concept then when it's time to sell, drag out a butchered version?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-12-04, 19:29

Mass-production certainly figures into the equation of translating a one-off design into something for consumers, but still.... it's the hallmark of the American auto industry to promise big and deliver small.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-04, 19:39

The Paulmobile...

I get a bit aroused just thinking about it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-12-04, 19:59

I miss Saturn already, too. Cut it out, Paul!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-12-04, 22:41

Check this Saab prototype out from a couple years back... pretty bad ass CG / ad concept in general.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1n6c1_saab-blackbird
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-04, 23:03

Very nice.
addabox
Veteran Member

2009-12-05, 03:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Check this Saab prototype out from a couple years back... pretty bad ass CG / ad concept in general.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1n6c1_saab-blackbird
Oh hi, it's addabox, monitoring all threads for freakishness, as stipulated in my contract.

WHAT IN HELL IS THAT THING AT THE 5 SECOND MARK?!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2009-12-05, 03:16

A robot bulldog. Who doesn't have a robot bulldog around the house?
addabox
Veteran Member

2009-12-05, 03:19

Oh, right, I hadn't watched it all the way through to see the completely explanatory reappearance of the robot bulldog as it..... woke up?

Quick cut of robot bulldog-- completely insane. Two quick cuts of robot bulldog, continuity.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-12-05, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
WHAT IN HELL IS THAT THING AT THE 5 SECOND MARK?!

Cylon Dog! I think by far the coolest concept / scene though is the car racing over the ice with the seals swimming underneath... that's pretty cool. Also liked the shot of the car from the top as the windshield/doors close down then flip to front and lights on at the bell sound. Very well executed ad concept. Some serious 3D skills in play... even the forests and all that is CGI but you'd never know it unless you're into this stuff.

...into the light of a dark black night.