User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

Anyone use Cg or other Shading languages?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone use Cg or other Shading languages?
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2005-02-14, 17:18

I'm waiting for my PB to come, and I'm wondering about programming Cg on it. Does anyone have experience doing GPU programming on a Mac? If so, what are your experiences, and what platform (i.e. hardware, compilers, etc) do you use? Thanks.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-14, 17:24

Mac OS X does OpenGL through and through. You could write in C, C++, Java, Objective C. What exactly do you have in mind? Anything specific?
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2005-02-14, 17:31

Thanks, Brad. Well, actually what I want to do is sort of vague at the moment, but here goes, if you're interested. I am an engineer (actually biomedical engineer) and do a lot of image processing and also numerical computation, so I am intrigued at the possibilities that I've been reading about using the GPU for scientific programming. I've bought two books, so far, CG Tutorial and GPU Gems, and I get the main ideas, but I'm not sure about how to go about implementing all this stuff, hence my question. I guess what I'm missing is some sort of "Hello, world" program for GPU programming ("Hello, GPUworld", I guess). From what I've read, C++ or C is used as the wrapper for Cg, but I haven't really found any sample programs that specifically show how this is done. If you know of any, please, do tell. Thanks.