Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wwdc 2021
Page 3 of 4 Previous 1 2 [3] 4  Next Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-06-07, 09:17

It’s not just Apple that is doing this, announcements of announcements, it seems to becoming the industry standard with tech companies now. Even music, they do spoilers of songs or themes from the music video a few days before release. Got to hype people up, the longer the better, because that seems to make demand higher than ever a launch. Strong sales at launch seem to be the goal now, get them out to trend setters, YouTube reviews, Instagramers and draw in even more buyers.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-06-07, 09:24

I dunno. I can't be the only one who reacts:

1) oh, sounds interesting!
2) oh, I can't order yet
3) (two weeks later when you can pre-order) <has entirely forgotten about the product>
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-07, 11:20

Pre-announcement is bad.

Remember that wireless charger thingy?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-06-07, 11:25

You never heard of it (Jedi gesture)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-07, 12:05

The event has started and the store is still up. So...

1) No new hardware coming
2) New hardware is coming, but of the pre-announced/"order in a month, receive a few weeks later" variety
3) They've moved away from taking the store down during events.

My money is on #1 at this point.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-07, 12:21

It's sad that we're having to have our iPhone/iOS tell us how to be normal, life-having humans again. Good grief.

Federighi's 10 minutes into "let's not have these things control our lives, even though, deep down, we'd love nothing more".

Just turn the fucking thing off every once in a while, how about that? Is that just too difficult/unthinkable?

The hoops we're jumping through in 2021 to "balance" our real lives and all our online/digital horseshit is disheartening. And weirdly funny/amusing. We're so clever, aren't we?

Each passing year, I feel more and more disconnected from a lot of this stuff. But I'm viewing that as a good thing, to be honest. I've not seen/heard a single thing in 25 minutes that I honestly care about.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-07, 13:05

So far, this is the most yawn-inspiring Apple Keynote in years.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-06-07, 13:18

... huh.

I'm seeing feature after feature that will apply solidly to my family, across three generations.

Update: Universal Control... ok, I am... sucked in to this. This is slick as hell, from a dev POV.

Too bad 'Fusion' is already used in so many places, because this is pretty clearly the start of a iOS/macOS/iPadOS globbularification.
¡Damned!

2021-06-07, 13:27

Universal Control is cool af.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-06-07, 13:31

Automator -> Shortcuts, cool, cool... WHAT ABOUT APPLESCRIPT YOU JACKASSES I NEEDS MAH 1990 TECHNOLOGIES
¡Damned!

2021-06-07, 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
... (Which, boy, did Apple screw that one up. They launch iChat 4 with virtual backgrounds in 2005, do nothing with it for over a decade, and then Zoom eats their lunch.)
Was thinking about this comment when they were presenting all the new FaceTime stuff, especially now that it will be available to Android and Windows users now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-07, 13:48

Universal Control is cool. No doubt about that.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-06-07, 13:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
True, from a certain point of view.

One can certainly see the power of the innovations, but this year's WWDC lives up to its name as being for developers.

If you are a regular Mac user looking for immediate gratification, jump in the car and go to Krispy Kreme.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-06-07, 14:11

Come on guys, say it with me, “developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers…” oh wait wrong company.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-06-07, 14:23

I felt it was light on details actually. I was expecting more detail into certain features but they now how to cover so many unique OSs that it is hard to give as much detail on any one thing. Clearly they picked the "highlights" and let those be the talking points.

I will say that them making FaceTime a Teams like platform is really nice. I don't see it replacing Teams, but nice to see inclusion beyond Apple products. Now they just need to figure out how to put a camera on an Apple TV (remote from iPad/iPhone like thing) so we can do family calls using the big screen instead of heading to a Mac.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-06-07, 14:28

Oh, and someone was recently asking for AirPlay to a Mac, that will be a thing for free now too.
chucker

2021-06-07, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Was thinking about this comment when they were presenting all the new FaceTime stuff, especially now that it will be available to Android and Windows users now.
Yeah, I'm happy they finally gave FaceTime a significant update.

Boy, that would have been useful during a pandemic, right?
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-06-07, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I was expecting more detail into certain features but they now how to cover so many unique OSs that it is hard to give as much detail on any one thing.
Yep. Apple is now primarily an OS company.

Quote:
I will say that them making FaceTime a Teams like platform is really nice. I don't see it replacing Teams, but nice to see inclusion beyond Apple products. Now they just need to figure out how to put a camera on an Apple TV (remote from iPad/iPhone like thing) so we can do family calls using the big screen instead of heading to a Mac.
Great another camera in my house.

It is a bit weird that FaceTime is just getting pandemic collaboration features at the end of the pandemic. Hopefully, this teaches Apple something about building in collaboration features for everyone instead of always going for user lock-in all the time.

I would agree that it's not likely to dislodge Teams and Zoom, because Apple has rarely shown itself to be any good at building competitive corporate software (iWork vs. Office, Aperture/FCP vs Adobe, etc.)

Quote:
Oh, and someone was recently asking for AirPlay to a Mac, that will be a thing for free now too.
That was me, and yes it's great to see it arrive.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-06-07, 15:32

Quote:
Boy, that would have been useful during a pandemic, right?
You beat me to it.
chucker

2021-06-07, 15:33

Quote:
Hm.

The iOS stuff mostly bored me (the contexts they're establishing for notifications are nice and were rumored, but aren't quite what I was hoping for).

In fact, in general, the OS updates themselves seemed a bit meh. Especially watchOS. Kevin's presentation felt a lot like they had to pull something last-minute? Or they pulled most of the interesting watchOS stuff into the Health section instead?

However, lots of little things that are great.

iPadOS's multitasking UI finally looks a lot more discoverable, which I think was its biggest problem. Each window gets a very clear grabby handle at the top, which leads to multitasking settings. Good.

Their translate stuff is going system-wide, including on macOS.

Siri speech recognition is now entirely on-device. Apple never gets your speech. Tasks that can run locally, such as home stuff, will run entirely locally. Much lower latency, and of course better privacy. Only stuff that involves the server runs on the server.

iCloud recovery contacts (allow a relative or friend to recover your account) and digital legacy contacts (allow a relative or friend to access your data should you pass away) are great.

Lots of health stuff! Walking steadiness, better explanations of lab results, better trends (incl. for blood glucose), and notifications on trend changes. Selective sharing of health data with a doctor. Sharing of health data with family members. You can get notified of aberrations in your elderly parent's health.

Universal Control, as Kickaha mentioned. Basically a riff on Mouse Without Borders or Synergy. Craig's demo of dragging a graphic from an iPad to a Mac… to yet another Mac? Now that's Apple stuff.

Web extensions coming to iOS.

That said: I think some of the recent events, especially the ones for first M1 Macs and the one for the M1 iPad Pro and M1 iPad Pro, were edited much more tightly. This one wasn't. I also thought the intro was a bit much; I'm clearly not the target audience there (I'm guessing aspiring-developer college kids are).
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-06-07, 16:14

Quote:
Universal Control is cool. No doubt about that.
Wired: Universal Control
Tired: Multiple Monitors
Expired: KVM Switches

Why buy one computer when you can buy three!
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-06-07, 17:36

Quote:
Especially watchOS. Kevin's presentation felt a lot like they had to pull something last-minute? Or they pulled most of the interesting watchOS stuff into the Health section instead?
Or the game changer that will sell Apple Watches like hotcakes - Blood Sugar Monitoring - is being held for November.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-07, 17:41

This is the first time that I have stood up IN THE MIDDLE OF watching an Apple keynote, walked into the living room, sat down in a lounge chair, and plummeted into an ugly 4+ hour midday nap.

I awoke to a stream of work notifications, social media notifications, and the yawning realization that THIS KEYNOTE SUCKED ASS!!!!!!!!!

Edited to emphasize that I got up and walked out.
(mostly because I had eaten an entire can of clam chowder and was crashing)

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Last edited by drewprops : 2021-06-07 at 18:29.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-06-07, 17:48

The HomeKit upgrades and Siri on third party devices is actually huge though. I was going to mention it early but got tied up with work. I need to see more details. It seems like the third party devices would communicate with a HomePod and that device would do the Siri logic functions. Kinda hard to tell from the little bit they mentioned.

Third party integration though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-06-07, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Edited to emphasize that I got up and walked out.
It wasn't riveting due to the lack of immediate product announcements, but there has clearly been a lot of hard work happening at Cupertino this year. To steal a line from U.S. Presidents, "the state of our platform(s) is strong."

The product announcements will come soon. A larger iMac must be in the works, and the 16" MacBook Pro is a similarly iconic machine and profit center of the Mac line, so it will also need to get Apple Silicon soon, probably at the same time.

Back to School is still a thing, so it's probably just a matter of a month or two.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-06-07, 20:02

And by the way, iCloud Private Relay is just an Apple-branded VPN, right?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-07, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
there has clearly been a lot of hard work happening at Cupertino this year
There truly has been.
Some truly interesting new workflows ahead.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-06-07, 22:00

I thought this was a pretty interesting keynote, with the understanding that this is clearly directed towards developers with a few things thrown in there for the "regular" crowd that they know is tuning in because it's an Apple Keynote.

The enhancements to FaceTime are great. Yes, would have been very beneficial to have this in place last year, but there are going to be video calls happening a lot at this point, so these are great. Having the ability to have a link to a room is going to make it so useful for using for work. I'm definitely going to try to schedule my calls using FT if possible.

Really was hoping for more iMessage & Mail.app improvements, but I'm sure there will be more coming out this week as the developer sessions roll out.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-07, 22:05

I can't find it now, but years ago I surmised the emergence of a decentralized social media standard, and (were it not constrained to the Apple platform) I would consider some of the sharing methodologies shown today as my prediction, realized.

chucker

2021-06-08, 02:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
And by the way, iCloud Private Relay is just an Apple-branded VPN, right?
Sort of. It’s Safari-only, and more of a proxy than a VPN, I guess.