User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

What whiskey are you drinking right now?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What whiskey are you drinking right now?
Page 8 of 9 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9  Next Thread Tools
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-07-14, 14:51

I really like WDO. My group did a pick of it a couple months back. It's a great dessert supper.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-14, 14:58

I have regular old Woodford Reserve on the shelf. Not tried the DO, but I have tried the Rye and it was a bit too "fishy" for me. Yeah, I know that's a harsh word when describing whisky, but that's what I got out of it. It was weird.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-26, 11:59

Basil Hayden's KSBW and Aberlour A'Bunadh write-ups.

I'm enjoying this.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2021-07-28, 04:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Though I haven't tried this one in awhile it was always a classic.

I have a bottle of Octomore that is meant to be the business that I need to drink at some stage...

I do like peaty styles so Ardbeg Supernova and Nam Beist were two of my overall favourites (both discontinued), and the rebirth of the distillery in recent times gives them a nice back story as well.

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-28, 10:44

I'm not as big a fan of the really peaty stuff. Highland Park 12 is about as adventurous as I've been able to tolerate. I've tried Laphroaig, Glen Fiddich, and JW Blue Label, and all are a bit too much for me. It doesn't stop me from trying others, mind you, it's just that they're not my favorite.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2021-07-28, 20:43

When I was younger I used to drink port (cheap, sweat, and high in alcohol) but as I got older my preference changed for sherry (a good PX or a Palo Cortado please), which funnily enough translates into my whisky drinking. I first noticed it when I tried the Glenmo Port and Sherry casks and much preferred the whisky finished in sherry casks.

I have a friend who is a whisky fiend, and I could always pick her preferences - cask strength in oloroso barrels. When you find your sweet spot makes buying from the plethora of choices such easier to navigate. However one style that I can't get my head around (and also the price) are the Japanese whiskies. Some people swear by them but don't see the fascination myself.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-07-28, 20:52

I'll admit I'm a sucker for Hibiki 21.

Nikka's From the Barrel is a great value whiskey if you can find it. Pre-pandemic I found myself in Japan once or twice a year and I'd always bring back a couple bottles. Over there it's $15 a bottle.

These days I'm focused local. Stranahan's, Tin Cup, Copper & Kings Apple Brandy.

And still Rittenhouse Rye as my go-to cocktail spirit.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2021-07-28, 21:23

Hate to think how much a Hibiki 21 would be in Hobbiton. The Harmony which doesn't even have an age statement is close to $200 here. The Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof is about $90 for comparison.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-07-28, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ω_ View Post
Hate to think how much a Hibiki 21 would be in Hobbiton. The Harmony which doesn't even have an age statement is close to $200 here. The Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof is about $90 for comparison.
That's why I stuck to beer, cider and wine while I was living down there.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-07-29, 03:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ω_ View Post
$90 for Rittenhouse?!?! It’s $25.99 here. It’s bottom shelfer that I absolutely love to make cocktails with. Don’t care for it solo neat but it’s money in drinks.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2021-07-29, 08:11

It's Hobbiton so the exchange rate is about double. Then add in Nazgul tax and a little bit of eye of Sauron
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-29, 10:35

Sounds expensive.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-07-29, 10:36

At least NZ is slowly building up its own liquor industry. I tasted a tequila from a distillery near Takaka that was downright fantastic.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-29, 10:50

"Fat hobbit hates us!" said all the thirsty Kiwis.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-07-29, 13:27

Ah didn't realize you were in New Zealand.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-29, 13:37

Not me, but _Ω_ is.

I think.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-07-29, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Not me, but _Ω_ is.

I think.
Correct.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-07-29, 20:51

That is a crazy high price for Rittenhouse Rye. I pay around the same price as Yontsey if buying from the corner store. Pay a little less if buying from a liquor store.

That and Old Overholt are two of my favorite utility/bang for your buck cocktail ryes. If you wanna go extra cheap, Jim Beam rye (yellow label) is honestly decent.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2021-07-29, 22:39

Our "Be Kind" leaders are very generous on the taxes when it comes to high octane spirits, so they can spend it on frivolous glory projects. From memory over 50% of the purchase price will be taxes, be it excise or GST.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-30, 10:48

Whereby "be kind" you mean "Be kind to fearless leader!"

Yeah, I went to Washington State (Leavenworth) a few years ago and was blown away at the crazy liquor taxes. I think it was 25% or something like that, and that was added at the register. I remember the shock when the cashier read my total.

"Okay," says I, "not coming back here for vacation."

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-20, 13:53

This week I wrote up The Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14-year.

Yums in my tums!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-23, 10:53

And last night I selected Larceny KSBW. Not one of my favorites. In fact, not even close.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-06, 12:20

This week I decided to post my very first YouTube video, because why not?

So now you get to see my ugly mug.

I found a cute, little whiskey called Warfield Organic American Whiskey that is made here in Idaho. The stuff tastes so much like Glenlivet 12 that if it weren't for the subtle peat in the Scotch it would be impossible to tell them apart.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-12-06, 15:23

Great to see Ken! Bravo! 👏
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-06, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
Great to see Ken! Bravo! 👏
Thanks. It was fun to do. I've got a lot of things to work on, but I'll give it a go!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-06, 16:15

Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool. I don't know/care anything about whiskey, but you've got a good on-screen vibe/demeanor. I get so tired of the glib, trying-too-hard-to-be-funny (or edgy) YouTube clownery (so many of the tech and guitar folks, and all of "comedians"/Jackass wannabes clogging the joint up).

Nice to see a normal person just standing there dispensing helpful, straightforward info without all the razzle dazzle and taking forever to get to the point (so many YouTubers will just blabber on for a good 4-5 minutes about what they're going to talk about, and why, when, instead, they should just STFU and get to it, in the first 45-60 seconds). At this point, I'm drawn in more by those who can hold my attention/interest without all the bells and whistles, or those constantly trying to be Johnny Quipmeister.

YouTube has definitely reached their quota on that bunch. Those who present their YouTube channel as a late-night TV talk show (Fallon, etc.) are my least favorite things to sit through. You're more like Rick Beato or Bob Ross (that's a compliment, BTW).

The cool bar acts as a good "set", and you have a good voice/presence.

The editing was nice too (still shots of stuff as you spoke about them, vs. slinging the camera all over the place - and all the noise and blur that goes with it. It's as though you put some thought/planning into it.

Maybe one of those ring lights and a mic on you (collar or wherever) so the audio is super consistent? Those are the only two things I could think of, and those are minor things (and coming from someone who's never filmed himself doing any sort of informational/instructional video, so take it with the appropriate-sized grain of salt). But I thought it was pretty smooth and polished for the very first outing. Imagine how slick it'll be 5-10 installments from now?

I could see me learning more about something I don't drink than I would've ever imagined.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-06, 16:40

Thanks for the input, Paul. I appreciate it.

I didn't want to invest in all the bits and pieces until I see how things go, land on a "style" that I want to settle on, etc. I used my iPhone 13 Mini and a flexible wand/mount thingy that sucked to blazes to get positioned correctly. Other than that, it was just me, the bar, and some whiskey.

I ordered a tripod yesterday that will get here tomorrow, and that will help with consistent camera angles and positions. I'm holding off on the microphone until I cross a few other things off the list (like time, getting the bar/living room to myself for a consistent, weekly hour, etc.).

As for style, yeah, I don't mind a touch of humor, but I'm not trying to be a whiskey comedy show. I'm trying to be a whiskey reviewer that other whiskey lovers can relate to. I don't want to cut anyone down or come off as snobbish, either. Just trying to have fun.

I hope to do one per week through the winter. Fingers crossed.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-12-07, 10:25

I bought, on a whim, some Wayne Gretzky 99 Maple Cask Canadian Whisky. I thought it would have a very slight maple twang to it....

https://www.gretzkyestateswines.com/...y/category/40/

It's basically like drinking straight maple syrup. I think I can find a use for it, but straight-up drinking whisky it aint.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-07, 10:39

Ewwww, gross. That's too sweet.

But pour over your pancakes for a more exciting-than-usual breakfast!

"I never liked you, bagel...you smug sonofabitch."
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-12-07, 10:44

I was thinking it might be a good "add to coffee on a Sunday morning" whisky.