User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Movie Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 87 of 103 First Previous 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91  Next Last Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2021-07-16, 12:27

Damn straight. 30 bucks is ass-in-theatre-seat money, and you can be damn sure I'm going to enjoy spending that with a massive bucket of popcorn, an ice-cold Dr. Pepper and a snuck-in box of Jujyfruits.

The experience matters.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-16, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
…and a snuck-in box of Jujyfruits.

I wasn't gonna spill the beans on my snuck-in M&M's, lest one of you suckers tattles on me!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-07-16, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Damn straight. 30 bucks is ass-in-theatre-seat money, and you can be damn sure I'm going to enjoy spending that with a massive bucket of popcorn, an ice-cold Dr. Pepper and a snuck-in box of Jujyfruits.

The experience matters.
I used to say that, but I upgraded the home theatre setup this past year, and we don't have to deal with shitheads. XD 7.1 with an old Bose setup that I had sitting in a box, finally just said 'fuck it' and re-arranged the living room, upgraded the receiver, calibrated it out the wazoo, and holy shiitake mushrooms, the floor vibrates, the sounds they surround, and the details are crisp. Right now I'm trying to talk my wife out of an 83" OLED upgrade to the old 52" plasma.

(Yes, I said talk her out of, back off guys, she's mine.)

We probably could have waited, but honestly we just needed a treat for ourselves, and hell... for a family of 4, $30 is money saved over going to the theatre.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-16, 17:11

That's the the thing, and what I talked about earlier. Depending on the body count involved, $30 can be a reasonable price for four people ($7.50 is cheaper than any multiplex ticket I've seen in recent years). But for a single viewer, it's pretty steep and I think I'd figure out another way if I'm in that boat.

$30, depending on how many people are in the room, is either a great deal or a rip job. Choose wisely, and what makes sense for you. If a sole viewer wants to shell out $30 for a Black Widow movie, knock yourself out...it's your money. I just know I'd prefer to have 3-5 others with me. Not that I'd want their money, but just so it would feel like I was treating my friends to something and it shaking out to $6-10 a pop, which is more inline with multiplex pricing (even less, in fact). Hell, get 10 people together and it shakes out to a $3/ticket fun evening with friends.

But the day I pay $30 to watch some movie solo, just me...please hit me in the head with a garden tool, wrap me in a rug and bury me behind the bowling alley.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-07-16 at 18:02.
¡Damned!

2021-07-16, 17:50

While Anna and I like to watch stuff 'together' at night, we don't watch any of the same things. Like, there's barely a handful of times we've actually sat down and watched anything together. She's got her headphones and laptop, and I watch on the big screen literally sitting 3 feet away from one another. Once in a while she'll glance up and ask what I'm watching, once in a while I'll look over and ask the same. And we have a ton of similar interests mind you, in fact most, we're just not involved in each other's viewing list.

I mean, sometimes I'll say something is great, or she should check out this or that, and we can talk about the newest movie trailers all day long, but when it comes down to it we just don't watch things together. At least not the same thing at the same time together. Whatever. It works for us and she doesn't mind getting excited for me when I find something I like and vice versa.

Hmm. That was a weirdish road to say that 30 bucks is about the right price for 2 people going to the theatre together. Maybe we both like it so much because it's rare that we share that experience.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2021-07-16 at 18:01.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-16, 18:19

Depending on where one lives (Bay Area, NYC, etc.), $30 for two people to go see a movie might be reasonable. Especially if you have to factor in parking, travel time, crazy weather or whatever.

Hang on...I'm gonna check current Chattanooga movie prices. It's been a while (16+ months)...

Okay, I'm back...

For a showing tonight (8:10pm) of Black Widow at my nearest AMC multiplex (about two miles from my house, where I usually go), adult prices are $10.99 ($7.69 on a matinee tomorrow before 3pm). IMAX or Real3D tickets tonight are $13.99 per person, and probably a few bucks cheaper than that tomorrow before 3pm.

If those are the prices here, I can only assume other, bigger cities are well above that.

EDIT: They are indeed. The standard ticket prices for tonight's 7:30pm showing of Black Widow at the AMC Empire 25 on 42nd street in NYC is $16.99. God knows what the IMAX and 3D ones are...$20+, I'm sure.

So, yeah...location, location, location.

So for two people living somewhere like that (where movie tickets are $15+), $30 is indeed the better deal (plus all the other benefits of home-viewing...shithead-free environment, ability to pause, no parking fees, snacks that don't require financial aid applications, etc.).
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-07-16, 18:28

In that frame, I can see why Disney is charging $30.

Just too much for me, watching a movie solo.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-07-16, 18:56

It really boils down to how much you hate interacting with the other humans inhabiting your community.

Depending on where you live, $75 might be a bargain.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-21, 15:53

Continuing on with my revisiting movies from the past, I've watched Terminator 2: Judgment Day again and it's still a blast. Easily the best (most coherent, frankly) of all of them. And just fun. Had Cameron just made this, Aliens and True Lies, it would've been enough. Three good, enjoyable movies that I can watch just about anytime and they never really get old for me.

A big dated in some ways (that brat kid and his ginger friend earlier in the movie), but some of it is surprisingly relevant/unsettling in 2021 (we seem well on our way to creating a bunch of stuff that will probably turn on us in my lifetime).

Great action and Robert Patrick's T-1000 is relentless. A great villain!

I'd call it solid, mindless fun. But it's actually not mindless at all. On the surface, sure. But it kinda gives me the creeps when I watch it and pay attention.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-21, 15:56

Awesome movie, and my favorite in the series. The original is hard to beat, but the T-800 character in 2 is brilliantly written and played. Fun, funny, and excellent timing.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-07-21, 16:04

I forgot about True Lies. I love Jamie Lee Curtis in that movie.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-21, 16:07

They got completely stupid and muddled after this one. Should've stopped while they were ahead.

In that way, they remind me of the Alien movies. Strong out of the gate with the first two, and then just a huge drop in quality, enjoyability, coherency, etc. All the time travel, the 47 actors playing John Connor, the repetitiveness of it all, etc. just wore out its welcome after this solid second installment.

Sometimes everything that needs saying can be done so in 1-2 movies. The half-dozen that follow over the years tend to suck, trying to recapture that lightning in a bottle. It's rarely successful.

I'm not sure why Linda Hamilton never hit bigger than she did. Give me her over any of the Jennifers (Lawrence, Aniston, Lopez, etc.) any day.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-21, 16:32

I like Anniston (she's my favorite ) but she's no action star. Different genres.

The others could drop from the face of the Earth tomorrow and I wouldn't notice.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
¡Damned!

2021-07-21, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Continuing on with my revisiting movies from the past, I've watched Terminator 2: Judgment Day again and it's still a blast. Easily the best (most coherent, frankly) of all of them. And just fun. Had Cameron just made this, Aliens and True Lies, it would've been enough. Three good, enjoyable movies that I can watch just about anytime and they never really get old for me.
FUN FACT: Right after Aliens, Lance Henriksen (T1/A2), Bill Paxton (T1/A2) and Jenette Goldstein (T2/A2) starred together in Kathryn Bigelow's 1987 classic vampire film Near Dark. The trio was recommended to her by her future husband, James Cameron.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-21, 19:11

Ah, cool.

I keep forgetting Bill Paxton is gone. He’s been a favorite for a long time. Never flashy or the main guy, but often improving everything he was in or adding that little something extra and having some of the better lines (Aliens, True Lies, Tombstone, Weird Science, Apollo 13)

To this day, anytime there's a major c.f. taking place, I will - in a fake, snazzy panic - blurt out "why don't you put her in charge?" in that same delivery and just randomly point to anyone around.

It usually gets a big laugh from those who get the reference. That's all Private Hudson.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-28, 14:09

Well, shit.

And, no...that wasn't to the news of Blair having no plans to participate (I applaud her for not, actually). It's that the property is being rebooted at all. Such an unnecessary waste.

A few years ago, Fox did an absolutely horrible TV show based on the movie. It was set years later, and as the series unfolded (like a dork, I hung with much of it)...
Spoiler (click to toggle):
it turned out to be a backdoor, modern-day sequel, with Geena Davis' character revealed in the final episode to be the adult Regan MacNeil (which, BTW, I called in the first episode, it was so clumsy/telegraphed). Sure enough, even her mom, now played by Sharon Gless (instead of Ellen Burstyn) shows up in the final episode or two, even replicating that famous "taxi cab arriving on a foggy night to a house" scene where Father Merrin arrived to the MacNeil house in the original movie. Shocker...Regan kills her mom (twists her neck/head around, of course). It was all just awful and so badly written. Probably the hammiest thing I've ever seen. Wasn't scary in the least, and certainly wasn't thought-provoking or unsettling like the original novel and movie. It was just idiotic.

Anyway, this new reboot has Burstyn returning to the role as Chris MacNeil, Regan's mom. But apparently no Blair (unless they're looking to try and pull off that whole surprise/cameo thing, which, in the era of the Internet, smart phones, set spies, movie blogs, leaks, broken NDAs, etc. is pretty much impossible).

The Exorcist is a great movie. It isn't even scary to me anymore, as I've read the book and have watched the movie many, many times over the years. But the scenes with Father Karras and his mother, Karras meeting Chris the first time, Father Merrin, etc. (basically everything taking place outside the bedroom and the spinning head/pea soup/crucifix masturabation stuff) is wonderfully written and acted. People who reduce this movie down to the above shock scenes are missing the point, IMO. I only consider/acknowledge the original, as the sequels (minus parts of the third installment with George C. Scott) are really weak/bad.

Just leave it alone. Is it truly too much to ask Hollywood to stop endlessly screwing around with stuff that doesn't need help? This is one of those movies where everything that needed saying was covered in 1973. A remake or reboot or sequel isn't going to help one bit. And how are you going to explain the continuity between the events of the awful TV show and this upcoming thing with Burstyn reprising her role?

What's next, Jaws? I guess I shouldn't say that out loud.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-30, 08:09

Bite that hand, sweetpea. Harder!

I’m guessing there won’t be a sequel? At least not with her in the title role.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-07-30, 08:34

Yeah, good thing they already killed her off in the Avengers.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-07-30, 08:40

To be fair, if I lost tens of millions because they streamed the film simultaneously with the theatre run, I might sue as well.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-30, 09:07

It sucks but all I’ve heard for a year-plus is how the pandemic has changed everything. “We’ll get through this”, “the new normal”, "in these trying times...", etc.

That obviously affected how Hollywood went about their usual routine, and dipping their toe into these dual release approaches since movie theaters aren’t fully up and running. I assumed that was a good thing for everyone involved, making it possible for shitball, unasked-for movies to stand a chance of making something, vs. just being released to empty multiplexes and losing their butt completely.

Maybe they all should've gotten together and clarified the situation a bit more and honored their original agreement? If so, that's on them.

I’m sure she’s upset. It’s weird that they couldn’t work something out, being longtime collaborators. If Disney, pandemic or not, screwed her over then she has a case and the system will play out.

I just figured these enlightened, artistic millionaire types would roll with the punches a bit more. You know, like all the rest of have had to do (without millions already in the bank to shield us from the economic cornholing of lost jobs, collapsed businesses, etc.?

Half the people I know have had their existence turned upside down (permanently in a couple of cases) the past 12 or so months. So I find it tougher than usual to be torn up over millionaire movie stars squawking over amounts of money I’ll never see in seven lifetimes.

But I’m silly that way.

It’s contentious/adversarial now, right or wrong, so that always sucks.

Turtle’s right. She probably realizes her time there is done anyway (the character's outcome in Endgame), so it’s all business now.

“Gimme my money, pricks!”

I just found it interesting to see a big star sue a big studio, especially the studio that, let’s face it, contributed heavily to her being the household name she is. She worked a good bit prior to that and had some successes (Lost in Translation), but her fortunes really changed and took off post-2010. I'm sure, post-Marvel, more scripts/opportunities have come her way than would've otherwise (I mean, she's not exactly Olivier or Pacino, is she...let's be honest).

For it to get to lawsuit stage must mean one or both parties were being greedy, unreasonable and/or unwilling to work something out. That's what I find interesting/surprising here...she's been playing in that Marvel sandbox for about a decade. I assumed people working together that long, contributing to each other's success, shouldn't have to sue each other to do the right thing.

Apparently they do.

These people all deserve each other.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-07-30 at 09:34.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-07-30, 10:41

I'm not sure it really burns bridges in Hollywood. Peter Jackson sued New Line over some accounting tricks that he claimed reduced his payout from LOTR and they still work together.

But yeah, hard to get too worked up about someone getting slightly fewer millions.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-30, 10:42

Oh, dear. Another rich, Hollywood socialite suffering from poverty. Whatever will we do?

Oh, I know: I won't watch the stupid movie!

What's really funny is that her "poverty-stricken" social media followers will support her, even as she does absolutely nothing for them.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-30, 12:50

It's weird that even when you're high profile, rich, have some clout, etc. people/studios will still get cute with the books and money-related matters.

Nobody's immune to a screw-job (if that is indeed what happened here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
What's really funny is that her "poverty-stricken" social media followers will support her, even as she does absolutely nothing for them.
You mean like show up at the courthouse with signage proclaiming "justice for ScarJo!"? Who in the world would do such a silly th...oh, never mind.

Wait a damn minute...are you telling me that Lady Gaga, the Kardashians, Lizzo, Britney Spears, Gwyneth and the various Bachelorette/reality TV jizz jugs and duck-pout artisans aren't close and tight with all their fans/followers?! They don't hang out and go shopping and have them over for cookouts, yoga, vaginal meditation/psychic healing and slumber parties?! No way. I refuse to believe this! They all *like this* and, like, BFFs! I just know they are.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-07-30 at 13:13.
¡Damned!

2021-07-30, 13:07

You don't fuck with The House of Mouse.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-30, 13:19

That's the word on the street.

Whatever crooked-necktie billboard lawyer you convince to the take your case won't stand a chance with the legal minds/teams such outfits can afford.

"Your honor, is this the part where I bend over and spread?"
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-30, 14:40

"Hey, everyone, look at me. I'm giving ten dollars to the poor house. Hey, camera people, look over here. I'm donating to the cause, see!? HEY LOOK AT ME, DAMINT! Watch me give this dolphin ten bucks and a stick of frozen fish."

"Okay, I took care of the poor and the dolphins! Now, where's my $20million payoff?"

"Wait a minute. Where did I leave my yacht? I can't remember through the heroine and cocaine. Did I forget to leave a tip? Oh, well."

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-30, 14:53

If they didn't come to her at some point and say "hey, we're having to release movies differently now due to things being the way they are..." and then they either renegotiate something new to reflect that, or they pledge to uphold their end regardless.

If they made no effort at something along those lines, I guess she's got a case? That seems to be her beef.

"Hey, I signed on for this deal and you're not upholding it. We never discussed other options/scenarios. You have my number...I've been working for you guys for a good while now, in some really big, popular movies. Remember?"

Just seems like they all would've gotten together, on the down-low, before it got ugly. I don't care how much her sweet ass makes, but now it's kinda everyone's business because it progressed to legal actions.

I don't wanna go too far out on a limb or anything, but it kinda makes me think some dickheads may possibly be involved.

Still, I bet she wouldn't have done this 4-5 years ago. Or...
Spoiler (click to toggle):
if that character were still alive in present-day continuity. The only way further Black Widow movies can be made is if they're set in the past. No biggie, but the character can't be part of anything Marvel/Avenger-related going forward, post-Endgame.

Kinda makes me wonder if we'll see more suits like this? Quite a few movies have hit the theaters and streaming on the same day in recent months. I wonder if some other actors look at this suit and think "hey, the same thing happened to me...I'm losing money!"

"In showbiz news, every actor is suing every studio. There may not be any new shitty, unasked-for movies produced for some time."

Promise? Is there anywhere I can contribute to the legal fund?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-07-30 at 15:08.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-30, 16:09

Meh.

All she does is look good while reciting someone else's work. And for that, she gets paid a crap-ton of money.

I wonder, when all the power goes out, how these people will feel when they realize they exist amongst that group of humans that is most useless to society.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-30, 19:48

Me, about five hours ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Kinda makes me wonder if we'll see more suits like this? Quite a few movies have hit the theaters and streaming on the same day in recent months. I wonder if some other actors look at this suit and think "hey, the same thing happened to me...I'm losing money!"
Emma Stone reportedly "weighing her options" after Johansson's Disney lawsuit.

Quote:
Johansson filed a lawsuit against Disney on Thursday for releasing the Marvel film Black Widow on streaming and in theaters at the same time, arguing this breached her contract and cost her millions of dollars since her salary was largely based on the film's box office performance. It seems she's hardly alone in her frustration over compensation for movies that debut on streaming, as Variety reports the lawsuit "appears to be emboldening other stars," and "several Disney actors are considering their own legal challenges."

Disney has released a number of movies both in theaters and on Disney+ for $30 during the COVID-19 pandemic, including Cruella starring Emma Stone and this weekend's Jungle Cruise starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Emily Blunt. In his newsletter What I'm Hearing..., former Hollywood Reporter editor Matthew Belloni reports that Stone is "said to be weighing her options," while Blunt is "likely watching the Jungle Cruise numbers closely this weekend." Blunt, Belloni reports, had already raised objections over Paramount releasing her film A Quiet Place Part II on streaming about 45 days after its theatrical debut, sooner than the pre-pandemic norm of around 90 days.

"The floodgates might be opening," Belloni writes.
I'm betting so if people think they're getting screwed over/shortchanged.

Will I get the pleasure of seeing Hollywood eat itself from the inside-out in the months/years to come? Fingers crossed! *lunges for the popcorn*
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-07-31, 00:41

Theaters have been dying for years, with or without covid. Can't say I'm gonna shed any tears if they didn't see that coming long ago.