User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Toured around the North Georgia mountains today...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Toured around the North Georgia mountains today...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-16, 21:30

My Dad and I got out and I loved being a passenger for the first time in ages. Basically drove through Dahlonega, Dawsonville, Tate (marble!) and numerous little towns. Dahlonega is beautiful, with a college (a northern branch of the University of Georgia nestled in this little mountain town).

I've never seen such beautiful scenery throughout the day...mountains, valleys, so much green, rolling farmland, old farmhouses, barns, tractors, old trucks, little one-stoplight towns, trains, country stores, etc.

I live for that stuff and, since I didn't have to drive/focus on the road, I got to take it all in. We drove past the Tate House in Tate, made of pink marble. It's now a wedding venue. I'd never seen such a structure (you can Google it). I noticed it through the trees as we approached.

"Is that a marble block house? Wait...is it pink?!" Yes to both.

We put in about 270 miles and 7+ hours, and ate at two good places while gone. We made a huge circle encompassing about 6-7 counties, just a gigantic clockwise sweep with zero backtracking. The only bit of that was 2-3 miles from his house, coming back in from the main road out. The rest of the day was just driving forward, all new road for the first time (I have a thing about backtracking, or returning from the way I came...drives me nuts; so anytime I can just keep moving forward and still wind up back where I left from, I'm happy). We did just that

This post is for no other reason than just me recounting a good, relaxing day. And forgetting just how beautiful places can be. Two-lane winding, hilly roads...all day long.

This post might appeal most to drew, since he's probably heard of the above towns and knows where they are.

I'll try to draw it out on a map if I can figure out a good way to do so...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-17, 13:44

PS - There were a couple of times where we'd be on a mountain road, looking off to the east toward even taller mountains, miles and miles away. And between us just a dip/valley of nothing but trees. No houses, no smokestacks, no Walmart or Home Depot, no tell-tale road/highway cut-ins, etc. Just forest/trees for miles.

And I'd think "has anyone ever even walked there?"

Maybe. But maybe not.

"Other than bears and snakes, what's down there?!"

You could walk down in there 6-8 miles, build a little 10x10 cabin and the world would probably never find you if you didn't want it to.

There's still a lot of untouched wilderness out there. I got numerous eyefuls of it yesterday. Conversely, I saw a lot of nice homes and cabins perched on hillsides, cliffs and mountain bluffs/crests. I can't even imagine what they paid for that view, every single day when they wake up (especially come autumn)!

I'd forgotten just how much I enjoy a good aimless, no-hurry-to-be-anywhere drive to/in the middle of nowhere. I surely saw places yesterday nobody has ever set foot.

I used to think about that when I lived in SoCal and would visit Joshua Tree or the desert in general and look at faraway ridges or mountains and think "has anyone ever been up there? I doubt it...why would they, it looks like a great place to die/get killed!"

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-07-17 at 13:55.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-07-19, 14:38

I got drive up to a town north of Asheville NC a few weekends ago and it really is remarkable up in the Blue Ridge. Not my first time up there, but it has been a REALLY long time. Of course I had a specific destination in mind so I stuck to major roads/interstates. I still got to see so much "untouched" land out there.

I used to camp/hike in the George Washington Forest in the NW of Virginia. So amazing to be there along the Appalachian Trail. After that trip my son has really renewed his interest int rules roughing it with me in the woods. Guess it is time for me to start shopping for a backpack again.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-19, 14:43

I'm looking to go back and take that similar trip from the other day in late October or so, whenever the leaves are changing. It'll probably knock my eyes out. As pretty as all those miles of trees were in their green, summertime form, I can only imagine how it would all look in orange, red, yellow, etc.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-07-19, 15:54

Yeah, my wife and I talked about that for our family too. Apparently there are websites that help you map out the colors. Should be worth looking at for sure!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.