User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

*CONFIRMED* There is an Apple PDA!! And other musings.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*CONFIRMED* There is an Apple PDA!! And other musings.
HOM
The Elder™

2004-06-07, 22:13

Blatantly ripped from .com:
Quote:
Speaking from the Wall Street Journal's D: All Things Digital conference this afternoon in Carlsbad, Apple CEO Steve Jobs made a number of interesting statements. Most notably, Jobs confirmed that Apple had designed its own PDA device, but canned the project just prior to bringing it to market. Also of interest to Apple followers:

A Security update which closes all the recent vulnerabilities should be "available today, but no later than the end of the week."

Jobs said that the vulnerability came to Apple in two parts, with the first being in February and the second in May. The first vulnerability was not disastrous unto itself, but when compounded by second, it became critical. Jobs said it took Apple three weeks to fix the problems once they understood the seriousness of the flaw.

iTunes 4.6 should be out later in the day, not this week.

Jobs stated that he is proud not only of the products Apple has shipped, but also the products Apple has decided not to ship. When asked to elaborate, Jobs replied, "an Apple PDA."

During a Q&A session, one individual pleaded with Jobs (as he clenched his Treo), begging for Apple to produce a PDA/Phone hybrid. Jobs told the audience member it would be best to remain happy with his Treo.

Jobs was reportedly pressed hard about supporting the WMA format. He said that Apple has no plans to support the format unless Microsoft reaches 50% market share, at which point Jobs welcomed Microsoft to ask him again.

Jobs alluded to a new product when he was setting context prior to announcing the Airport Express. He said people also want the iPod to work better in their car, and to expect some announcements later in the year. Jobs had an image on the screen of the inside of a BMW, with the BMW logo Photoshop'd out.

Jobs said Apple is working very hard at getting the price down on the iPod. When asked when it will happen, he just smiled.

When Jobs was demonstrating the new Airport Express, Walt Mossberg said that the biggest problem he saw was that users had to get up and walk to their computers to change play lists. Jobs joked that walking was good, but when pressed, he smiled a wry smile. AppleInsider correspondents took this to mean that Apple is developing in this area, and the Airport Express is just a step along the way.

Jobs confirmed the European launch of iTMS on June 15.

Summary

Steve Jobs dazzled a very exclusive, high-powered crowd. Carly Fiorina of Hewlett-Packard spoke before him, and took a barrage of questions for which she didn't have good answers; Bill Gates spoke of the digital hub in only the broadest 'visionary' terms. Jobs was 'amazing and very insightful', and he actually delivered.

Further details should be available later in the day
I never doubted that Apple had a PDA floating around in their skunkworks in case PDA suddenly made a complete 180 and started selling like, well, like iPods.

Also, I noted in my bolding, the fact that MS talked to Apple about using WMA strikes me as odd. I get that Apple added WMA -> AAC to appease HP, but why would MS talk to Apple?

EDIT: Would a kind mod move this to GD where it belongs?

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!

Last edited by HOM : 2004-06-07 at 22:16. Reason: I'm a putz, this should be in General Discusion.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-06-07, 22:19

So MS has asked Apple to put WMA support in the iPod, eh? Interesting. As a side note, I hope Apple really touts the AirTunes thing. It seems like it could really distance them from the competition. Want to use something that cool? Gotta use iTunes. Gotta use the iTMS. Gotta get an iPod. Brilliant if it's as cool in reality as it seems.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-07, 22:25

The other thing I'm kinda excited about was Jobs reference that Apple "is working on" some new car-based iPod solutions.

I'll be curious to see what they come up with, although I like that TransPod device that's out there now (cradle, charger, unlimited FM access, etc. in one clean, all-in-one design). But it's kinda large and I'm sure Apple could come up with something smaller, sleeker and less "hey, I'm a cool gadget...steal me!".
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-06-08, 08:45

i think it would be nice if the iPod understood commands from car stereos. so if for example you had your iPod connected to the back of a deck (which normally controls a cd changer) it would also be able to control the iPod.

most decks have input jacks for cd changers, and i would be nice if the forward/backward type buttons would also work on the iPod.

it's basically my car stereo at this point, and a bit better control would make it perfect.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-06-08, 09:13

i would love an elegant solution to using the iPod in the car...what i would also love is for party shuffle to be included on the iPod...if there was party shuffle and easy car use of the iPod, i would never listen to the radio or cds in the car again...and yes there are some songs on my iPod i might not want to hear sometimes, so make the center button "skip to next song" when in party shuffle mode...that way i can listen to a wide variety of tunes, yet still when that clunker song comes on or if i am just not in the mood for sir mix alot's big butt song, i can just push one button and skip to the next

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2004-06-08, 10:27

Quote:
Jobs stated that he is proud not only of the products Apple has shipped, but also the products Apple has decided not to ship. When asked to elaborate, Jobs replied, "an Apple PDA."
I'm almost certain that everybody is reading into this quote incorrectly. Jobs meant that he was proud that Apple decided not to make a PDA (Newton excepted). Apple didn't develop a PDA and then decide not to ship it. They decided not to develop one at all. That's what Jobs is proud of.

Ugh.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-06-08, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug
I'm almost certain that everybody is reading into this quote incorrectly. Jobs meant that he was proud that Apple decided not to make a PDA (Newton excepted). Apple didn't develop a PDA and then decide not to ship it. They decided not to develop one at all. That's what Jobs is proud of.
Actually, the article over at .com states that the PDA was done and canned just prior to release. I'm not sure I believe that article, but that's what spurred this thread....
dfiler
Veteran Member

2004-06-08, 11:49

Steve's comments are a definately spur of the moment and ambiguous. He doesn't sit around all day figuring out how to exactly phrase things in order to drop us rumor morsels. Sure it's possible that Apple developed and then canned a nearly finished product. Yet it is more likely that they discussed a PDA, had some employees investigate the possibilities... and then got together for a meeting where they decided not to pursue the PDA market.

Don't read too much into a spur of the moment word like 'ship'. Replace it with the near synonym of 'make' and eager quote interpreters would be running in a whole different direction.

As for iPods in the car?

Alpine (which makes some of BMW's head units) has a line of products boasting iPod support with tag display and control from the head unit.

Alpine + iPod =
http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...icle_650.shtml
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2004-06-08, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Actually, the article over at .com states that the PDA was done and canned just prior to release.
When I said "everybody is reading into this quote incorrectly," I really only had the writer of the title of the AI.com article in mind.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-06-08, 20:04

Quote:
When Jobs was demonstrating the new Airport Express, Walt Mossberg said that the biggest problem he saw was that users had to get up and walk to their computers to change play lists. Jobs joked that walking was good, but when pressed, he smiled a wry smile. AppleInsider correspondents took this to mean that Apple is developing in this area, and the Airport Express is just a step along the way.
I like this quote the best... maybe I'm reading too much into it, but perhaps the iPod will get added functionality now, (such as Bluetooth perhaps?) to control the Mac and organise or drive iTunes from across the room.

Also, think about watching a DVD from your Mac as well. The iPod navigation controls look so similar to the DVD controls (in vertical display mode) that there is surely some cool congruency to take advantage of there in the future! (I hope) look here, for example

I could easily see the iPod becoming a remote for the iLife apps.

All I want is a simple life
twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2004-06-09 at 08:39. Reason: added a link