I rent. 1 2.08%
Don't watch movies. 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

How many DVDs do you own?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-09-06, 19:38

Just curious because, well, it's a lazy evening and I want to know dammit.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure I own more than you.

Last edited by sunrain : 2004-09-06 at 19:45.
Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2004-09-06, 20:14

I own 4. and rent about 3-5 times a week.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-09-06, 21:55

I own six DVD's, and use Netflix most of the times. Most DVD's I own are things like LOTR 4-disc sets, and other movies that I watch a lot. Pirates of the Caribean, Johnny English, and Mr. Bean(Rowan Atkinson fan) are three others I own.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-09-06, 22:20

I've got about 80 or so, but, to be honest, never watch them because I work on DVD's for a living.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-06, 22:25

I own about 15 or so, and I'll probably buy maybe two or three more (RotK Ext Ed, 2001, and a couple other classics) and stop until this HD DVD and HD TV shakes out to one standard. I'm not buying all my DVDs twice.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-06, 22:30

13, if you count each multi-DVD set as a single DVD. There's a total of 40 discs.

For the money, multi-DVD sets give you more stuff. They can be expensive, but you get a LOT of material. For the $50-$100 it costs to get a full season of many shows, you get something like 20-25 hours of material. A $20 movie gives you two hours.

EDIT:

sunrein, am I reading this right? You have 500+ DVDs?

O

M

G
sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-09-06, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
13, if you count each multi-DVD set as a single DVD. There's a total of 40 discs.

For the money, multi-DVD sets give you more stuff. They can be expensive, but you get a LOT of material. For the $50-$100 it costs to get a full season of many shows, you get something like 20-25 hours of material. A $20 movie gives you two hours.

EDIT:

sunrein, am I reading this right? You have 500+ DVDs?

O

M

G
Yup. I did some dot.com work in the late 90s that gave me a bunch of dough to throw around. I bought nice home theater stuff and shitloads of DVDs. I think I've got 527 at last count. Found some nifty database software to catalog it.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2004-09-06, 23:39

89 for me. Do TV Series count?
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-09-07, 01:26

Let me tell you the secret to a good DVD collection. Every time I moved into a new apartment, I always get mailings from Columbia House for the prior tenet, or in some cases, prior tenets. So fuck it, fill out the form to sign them up for the DVD program. You get to pick like twelve DVDs for free, and it's all under someone else's name. I haven't had to buy a DVD in years

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-09-07, 03:25

Crap, I never get mailings like that at my place!

But back OT...I have 50 some...I haven't counted recently and quite honestly, it's 3:30 in the morning and I'm way too tired to do it now.

Come waste your time with me
ZO

2004-09-07, 03:48

why does everyone make this mistake when making polls? the 1 point balance.

e.g. what do I select if I have 250 DVDs: 150-250 or 250-500?

anyway, 120 something DVDs at last count

I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
thequicksilver

Send a message via AIM to thequicksilver Send a message via MSN to thequicksilver Send a message via Skype™ to thequicksilver 
2004-09-07, 04:17

Think I have 17. Mostly television series though. Don't watch many films.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-09-07, 04:36

14 DVD's. Since I don't have decent screen or sound, I never ever watch my DVD's at home. Considering that, I think 14 is a lot.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-07, 07:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO
why does everyone make this mistake when making polls? the 1 point balance.

e.g. what do I select if I have 250 DVDs: 150-250 or 250-500?
Fixed.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-09-07, 07:36

personally, i probably own less than 5. the fam has in the range of 20 - 30. our vhs collection is considerably larger; and less time-resistant.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-07, 08:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
89 for me. Do TV Series count?
Other than special mini-series like Band of Brothers, I would say no, but I'm not the guy who created the poll.
¡Damned!

2004-09-07, 09:36

Probably less than 20...with more than a dozen comprised of the SHORT series.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-09-07, 09:44

I have about seven (does something like the Godfather trilogy count as one or three? I say one). Got that, first season of "Starsky & Hutch" , two Benatar concerts, Jaws anniversary and The Exorcist (with separate cool-ass "making of" and interview disk).

I am, however, going to grab the new "Goodfellas" one that just came out.

I've got a list on my Mac of everything I want to get as time goes on (American Graffiti, Glengarry Glen Ross, Willy Wonka, etc.)
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-09-07, 10:14

I don't have many at all.

The Evil Dead
Memento
Seven
High Fidelity

Jesus, that's it. At least none of them are shit.

I also owned The Matrix Revolutions, but sold that coaster the day after I watched it. I'm still trying to mentally un-see it so I can still love the first one.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-07, 10:40

Hah! I never saw Matrix Revolutions and I had little temptation to see it even when my dad rented it. I'm actually amazed he rented it, he is not stupid but he is what I would call "weak-minded." He of course succumbed to the siren song of that last Matrix movie. But usually he just buys movies if he thinks he might like them. He probably has about 40-50 of them.

Mine are as follows:
Boa (just got it, gotta love huge killer snake movies)
Minority Report
Vanilla Sky
Run Lola Run
Clerks
Red vs. Blue Season 1
Red vs. Blue Season 2
Family Guy Seasons 1 & 2
Babylon 5 seasons 2-5 + all 5 TV movies
Wrao
Yarp

2004-09-07, 10:47

I don't have many.

6 Cowboy Bebop DVDs(Series) + 1(movie)
2 Miyazaki movies(spirited away, princess mononoke)
4 Music Related(2 Victor Wooten, 1 Jaco, and Standing in the Shadows of motown)
2 LoTR extended editions
3 Family Guy seasons

Very few movies I feel inclined to buy on DVD. Though I could do with a few more concerts and music related videos. I really want joni mitchell's Shadows and light tour, but it's hard to find.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-09-07, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I've got a list on my Mac of everything I want to get as time goes on (American Graffiti, Glengarry Glen Ross, Willy Wonka, etc.)
Got it. Got it. Got it.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-09-07, 16:16

I own a single DVD: The Big Blue (Le Grand Bleu) by director Luc Besson (1988).

I bought a 5xCD/DVD player two years ago, but I didn't buy and watch this first DVD until last month. In French we say: "un plongeur qui n'a pas vu le Grand Bleu n'est pas un vrai plongeur." (A [scuba] diver is who has not seen The Big Blue is not a real [scuba] diver.) I'm taking my wife and her brothers scuba diving in Curacao over the holidays and wanted to make sure they were in compliance.

Next on my DVD shopping list: the Naked Gun series, the Hot Shots series, the Scary Movie series, and the first season of South Park. Plus Top Gun.

Then I'll have to get a real TV, i.e. a large wide-screen flat thing.

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-09-07, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Other than special mini-series like Band of Brothers, I would say no, but I'm not the guy who created the poll.
Well, I didn't say how many 'movies' do you own, so I suppose any DVDs should count.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-09-07, 21:56

i, uh, rent to own.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-09-07, 22:06

The three 'R's

rent. rip. and return.
SilentEchoes
Unique Like Everyone Else

Send a message via AIM to SilentEchoes  
2004-09-07, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher
Plus Top Gun.
Good choice. I got that on DVD. Still a good movie to watch on a good surround sound system.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-09-07, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEchoes
Good choice. I got that on DVD. Still a good movie to watch on a good surround sound system.
I've got that one too. For its age it still blows me away every single time.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-09-08, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
I've got that one too. For its age it still blows me away every single time.
Especially Tom Cruise's sweaty abs when they play volleyball. It creeps out everybody in my family that that's my favorite scene.

Plus, Stevie Stevens' guitar riff on the Top Gun Anthem still gives me goose bumps every time I hear it. And it brings back good high school memories (along with Berlin's "Take My Breath Away," of course).

Escher

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-09-08, 15:58

For the mostpart, I'm very picky about what DVDs I buy. They have to be good to look at and hear, but I can't get myself to buy schlep like Top Gun either, despite whatever technical merits the DVD may have. I have the usual assortment -- LotR, Coen Broethers, Kubrick, Pixar, plus some stuff like Metropolis (the anime movie, not the silent movie), etc. I try to be choosy with the features, extras and qualty, though I don't go overboard with things, like the 8-disc releases of LotR movies showing a 30 minute vignette of Peter Jackson clipping his toenails.

The one big exception to this quality rule of thumb on my DVD purchases is MST3K episodes, of which I have 4 box sets of the stuff, with 4 DVDs in each set, usually 3 movies and a bunch of movie shorts on the fourth DVD. The picture is awful and the sound is muffled, but, damn, they are funny!