Mercy! Dropped my Powerbook!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mercy! Dropped my Powerbook!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-05-23, 09:22

Hello all,

I've just had a bit of computer bag strap failure and I've bent the corner of my powerbook. Eeeek!

Excuse the quality, Camera phone and all that.

Anyway, the Powerbook seems to work - opens and closes and all that. Do you think I can get away with gently hammering the case back into shape? Or shall I get someone "proper" to look at it?

Is there anything I should do to check it's all ok?

Thanks y'all.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-05-23, 10:07

if it's working, why hammer anything at all? i know it's unsightly to have a ding in it, but i'd take unsightly over not functioning.

that being said, if you really want to put it back into place, something like a ballpeen hammer and a strip of rubber (like neoprene gasket material or the like) should allow you to bend it back into place without causing too much shock damage.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-05-23, 10:22

From those photos I would personally stand it up on the bent end a press down gently to push that bulge above the DVI port back in.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-05-23, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
From those photos I would personally stand it up on the bent end a press down gently to push that bulge above the DVI port back in.
...being careful not to bend the area around the outward bend in. Remember you want to force the metal to straighten out towards the corner, not just flatten out completely.

Another thing to worry about is the metal breaking.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-05-23, 22:48

Please, for your sake, back up immediately and check the SMART status of your internal drive.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-05-24, 12:45

Backups are regular anyway. SMART reports all ok, luckily.

I've mostly managed to fix it by attaching the DVI adaptor and doing it up really tight - the case popped mostly back into shape, and the big bend has flattened back out to being mostly ok.

I *think* I got away with it. Phew!

PS: First e-mail I got, ironically, was from an insurance co. quoting for accidental damage cover.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-05-24, 12:48

How about another picture?
Louie
I hate content

Send a message via AIM to Louie Send a message via MSN to Louie  
2005-05-24, 13:11

2 words
apple care
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-24, 13:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie
2 words
apple care
3 more words
doesn't cover accidents
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-05-24, 14:14

I have got it already...but Brad is correct anyway
Louie
I hate content

Send a message via AIM to Louie Send a message via MSN to Louie  
2005-05-24, 14:57

ok then whats the point, i break something and they dont fix it

i though it said WARRENTY on the web site

humph!....

eidt: it wasnt his falt, he should get on the phone with the company who made his case that he was using
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-05-24, 14:59

It would only cover accidents if it said INSURANCE on the website Warranties only cover problems that were already in the product when they shipped it, but were only discovered later.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-05-24, 15:00

I think you've missed the point. Applecare is for things like failures and software problems. If you drop your p'book, there's nothing Apple could have done to prevent that. Thats the point of a warranty.
nassau

2005-05-27, 22:53

actually, appelcare ONLY covers hardware failures, it does not cover ANY software issues whatsoever. and naturally, as stated above, it does not cover damages from dropping your machine, intentially or not.

another interesting piece of information; apple batteries have a one (1) year warranty only, they are not covered by the extended 2 year applecare.
CobaltFire

Send a message via AIM to CobaltFire  
2005-05-27, 23:53

Unless they catch on fire and have to be recalled
flail

2005-05-28, 00:37

I had the exact thing happen to my powerbook, except on the corner. Your pictures look eerily similar to how mine looked.

I can tell you that YES HAMMERING WORKS. I fixed mine fine with a hammer wrapped in a washcloth and it looks like nothing happened.

Whatever you decide.. good luck.
cwiens

2005-06-12, 23:17

Buy insurance for your computers. I have, from our homeowner's insurance provider. Very reasonable and covers theft, loss and damage. Costs me $93 a year, covers digital camera, video camera, two computers and software. Before insuring, I dropped my iBook, broke the screen/lid. $400 to replace it. This doesn't cover wear and tear.
dougiemac

2005-06-14, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
I have got it already...but Brad is correct anyway
Yes not only is that damage not covered by your warranty, but you have wasted your money. Once any physical damage is done to the Powerbook, your entire warranty is voided. As I found out after I received a similar ding on my powerbook and I went in to get screen problems fixed (problems that occured before the ding).
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-06-14, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiemac
Yes not only is that damage not covered by your warranty, but you have wasted your money. Once any physical damage is done to the Powerbook, your entire warranty is voided. As I found out after I received a similar ding on my powerbook and I went in to get screen problems fixed (problems that occured before the ding).
That's entirely dependant on who you get. I've brought in machines that were horribly battered and still had them fix items under warrenty.

Your best bet is to call on the phone and talk to someone and have them ship out a box you can send it in with.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
dougiemac

2005-06-14, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
That's entirely dependant on who you get. I've brought in machines that were horribly battered and still had them fix items under warrenty.

Your best bet is to call on the phone and talk to someone and have them ship out a box you can send it in with.
The guy at the store told me that they would just send it back if I had done that. Is this true?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-08-25, 10:47

Note the date on my OP.

About a week ago, the backlight stopped working on my Powerbook. "No problem" I think, "I have Applecare". I sent my Powerbook in. I told them it had a dented case in the back corner.

Today they've decided that my backlight problem is due to the drop. I emphasise: the drop was in excess of a year ago and the machine has functioned perfectly since that time. I'm just on the phone now attempting to resolve it.

I guess it looks like the moral of the story is to cancel your Applecare and get a pro-rated refund the second you drop you machine, as they'll claim that you damaged it in response to any issue.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-08-25, 11:17

Yep, they want £750 ($1500) to repair it.

I guess it just became a server with a screen and I'm going to buy a Macbook.

So, for sure: If you drop your machine, cancel your applecare immediately. I just lost a years worth of Applecare monies over this.

A very, very, very pissed-off Bryson.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-08-25, 11:31

Would it be entirely impossible to report such damage to Apple when it occurs, so they know it's not an issue at a later time?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-08-25, 11:38

Bryson, couldn't you have used *this thread* as proof of when the damage occurred to your PowerBook?

I think it definitely would be worth a try. Print out the thread and take it or send it in. Maybe they'll change their minds.

I mean, after all, the truth is on your side.

Also... if you could find some other *interim* threads containing comments you've posted that show you've been using your PowerBook all this time, it might help.

Surely having your story posted on a public messageboard in 2005 should be proof enough? And an Apple messageboard at that.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-08-25, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
Bryson, couldn't you have used *this thread* as proof of when the damage occurred to your PowerBook?
It doesn't matter.

As I understand it, if there's been any sign of external physical damage, no matter when in the past, Apple will use that as a reason to deny coverage.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-08-25, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
It doesn't matter.

As I understand it, if there's been any sign of external physical damage, no matter when in the past, Apple will use that as a reason to deny coverage.
Well, I guess I can see it from their point of view, Brad.

All the more reason then to invest in an extremely high-quality, well-made computer bag/backpack if one chooses to transport a laptop on a regular basis.

Quote:
I've just had a bit of computer bag strap failure and I've bent the corner of my powerbook. Eeeek!

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-08-25 at 12:40.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-08-25, 12:25

Sad thing is, it was a decent Case Logic one - I guess it just wasn't sufficently padded.

I've come to a conclusion. When that bad boy comes back, I'm going to crack the case and have a dig around inside. The backlight doesn't come on - everything else is fine. That's got be be a single dry solder joint or cracked cable to my mind. I'm handy enough with a soldering iron. I'm going to fix it my damn self.

And I will never, ever, buy Applecare again. The things most mortals use Applecare for can be answered here anyway, and as we've seen, paying for accidental damage cover outside the home from your house insurance would be more useful in the long run.

Irony is, the insurance that I just got for my new house would have covered it. But it happened 15 months ago...see.

grrr.

Last edited by Bryson : 2006-08-25 at 16:13.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-08-25, 13:01

Quote:
The backlight doesn't come on - everything else is fine. That's got be be a single dry solder joint or cracked cable to my mind.
If it is just the backlight and not the screen - and you don't seem the kind of person to make a mistaken diagnosis - then in all likelihood you will have to replace either the backlight or the inverter that powers the backlight (backlights use extremely high voltage AC power). These items may be difficult to find, but if you can find them they would cost a tiny fraction of Apple's quote.

Quote:
And I will never, ever, buy Applecare again.
Good idea! Insurance is a profit-maker for whoever offers it, so obviously one is statistically likely to spend more on the insurance than fixing or replacing whatever it would cover. Buying AppleCare for a laptop which you could probably afford to replace if need be is probably not a good idea. You should only buy insurance if you couldn't possibly afford to take the risk, e.g. a car (where you might be required to pay millions of pounds to someone you negligently injure), a house, etc.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-08-25, 13:22

That's bum luck, Bryson. You might have a case in small claims court, if you wanted to pursue that. I consider it, if I were you.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-08-25, 15:02

Quote:
If it is just the backlight and not the screen - and you don't seem the kind of person to make a mistaken diagnosis - then in all likelihood you will have to replace either the backlight or the inverter that powers the backlight (backlights use extremely high voltage AC power).
Correct.

Quote:
These items may be difficult to find, but if you can find them they would cost a tiny fraction of Apple's quote.
eBay!