AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Found a great deal, share it here!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Found a great deal, share it here!
Page 7 of 17 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  Next Last Thread Tools
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2010-08-07, 15:53

I'm not sure if this is worldwide but here in the UK at least Civilization Revolution is now free

It was £4.99 I believe and I used to love the old Civ games so will see how this goes.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-08-07, 16:58

It's free on the US store as well as part of some Free app a day promotion. Definitely a good game, IMO, but I own the game on 360, DS, iPhone & iPad so I might like the game more than the average person. :-)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-08-07, 17:55

Nice post! Thanks. I've been looking to get something like this to kill time but have a hard time buying apps unless I *KNOW* I'm going to like it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-08-08, 23:19

Amanita is putting their cult hit adventure game, Machinarium, on a "Pirate Amnesty Sale" this week for only $5 (it's normally $20). Of course, the sale price is intended for everybody. I haven't played it yet, but I'm buying it now -- it's worth it for the beautiful art, if nothing else. Here's a link. It's Mac-compatible, of course.

Also, shame on anyone who pirates indie games from tiny developers, srsly. (Amanita estimates that only 5-15% of players paid for Machinarium.)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-08-14, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Amanita is putting their cult hit adventure game, Machinarium, on a "Pirate Amnesty Sale" this week for only $5 (it's normally $20). Of course, the sale price is intended for everybody. I haven't played it yet, but I'm buying it now -- it's worth it for the beautiful art, if nothing else. Here's a link. It's Mac-compatible, of course.

Also, shame on anyone who pirates indie games from tiny developers, srsly. (Amanita estimates that only 5-15% of players paid for Machinarium.)
They've extended the sale till the 16th. If you're like me and forgot, you've got a couple more days to forget.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-08-17, 18:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
They've extended the sale till the 16th. If you're like me and forgot, you've got a couple more days to forget.
Did you get it?

All of you who didn't get it are bad people. Be ashamed of yourself and your family.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-08-17, 18:55

Does the Refurb store qualify for "back-to-school" iPod deal?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-08-17, 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Does the Refurb store qualify for "back-to-school" iPod deal?
Nope.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-17, 20:18

Quote:
Did you get it?

All of you who didn't get it are bad people. Be ashamed of yourself and your family.
Shit. I forgot again. I use my iPad so much, I miss out on these types of deals because I think, "Oh, I'll just buy it when I get to my computer." But, I haven't pirated it, either. So, there's that. I don't pirate any more. Back in the day, I was a big downloader but I'm too old for that nonsense anymore.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-08-25, 21:31

DJ Hero, Toys R Us, stores only, today and tomorrow, $20.

Call ahead.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-25, 22:09

Quote:
DJ Hero, Toys R Us, stores only, today and tomorrow, $20.

Call ahead.
I don't need any more plastic peripherals but I'd like to get this. Of course, they're probably all sold out. I bet I'd actually be good at this game.

SpecMode
Wait what

2010-08-25, 23:29

Ah, yes...since I mentioned it in the Seagate thread, I might as well put the link here as well; OWC has their new 40GB Mercury Extreme Pro SSD on sale for $99.99 until the 31st (regular price $139.99). Definitely a great deal for one of the fastest drives on the market.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-26, 05:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Ah, yes...since I mentioned it in the Seagate thread, I might as well put the link here as well; OWC has their new 40GB Mercury Extreme Pro SSD on sale for $99.99 until the 31st (regular price $139.99). Definitely a great deal for one of the fastest drives on the market.
How would one use a 40 gig SSD drive effectively? I mean it would only hold the OS and a handful of programs, right?
SpecMode
Wait what

2010-08-26, 12:32

Quote:
How would one use a 40 gig SSD drive effectively? I mean it would only hold the OS and a handful of programs, right?
Well, on my MBP, it would hold my OS X install, all of my applications, and a stripped-down user folder; everything else would be kept on the second drive (mostly music/video). I'm only using around 75GB of space on the drive I've got installed at the moment anyway, and that's with a relatively large home directory (>40GB).

I'd be doing a fresh install, so I figure I should only be using around 25GB of space total, including a ~15GB /Applications folder, on the SSD when all is said and done.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-26, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Well, on my MBP, it would hold my OS X install, all of my applications, and a stripped-down user folder; everything else would be kept on the second drive (mostly music/video). I'm only using around 75GB of space on the drive I've got installed at the moment anyway, and that's with a relatively large home directory (>40GB).

I'd be doing a fresh install, so I figure I should only be using around 25GB of space total, including a ~15GB /Applications folder, on the SSD when all is said and done.
Interesting. If I did this, it would void my Applecare, right? I just extended it, but I could cancel it since it would be void anyway. I'd get a refund of about $150 which would cover a new SSD. What do I want more, 22 months of Applecare or an SSD... Decisions, decisions...

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-08-27, 11:31

Quote:
Interesting. If I did this, it would void my Applecare, right? I just extended it, but I could cancel it since it would be void anyway. I'd get a refund of about $150 which would cover a new SSD. What do I want more, 22 months of Applecare or an SSD... Decisions, decisions...
This is still unclear to me. We broached this topic a little bit at the end of my discussion about the MBP, Optibay doesn't make that very clear. I imagine it would but who knows...

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-08-27, 11:37

I guess it depends on whether your MBP has a user-replaceable hard drive. If Apple puts instructions for how to replace it on their website, I doubt you'd void your warranty. If it involves keeping track of a couple dozen screws, you probably would.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-08-27, 11:39

Oh, I thought Tori was discussing installing a second drive in place of the optical. It seems to me that pulling an optical will definitely void the warranty.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-08-27, 11:51

Oh. Didn't catch that part.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2010-08-27, 18:59

Default Case for the iPhone 4 and 3G/3Gs. The cases are $.01. A few people I work with have them and they're pretty decent. Of course, it's nothing more than a simple plastic case, but if you're in the market for something like this, pick one up. Shipping is $3.99, but you can ship multiple cases within that order.

Come waste your time with me
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-27, 21:12

Oh. Yeah. I was talking about the optibay option. I think I've used the optical drive like twice since I bought the computer.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-08-29, 23:26

Continuing my policy of only purchasing books that are too large to read in-store, I just ordered Justin Cronin's The Passage (which everybody just will not shut up about) from Amazon for 43% off and had the option of adding The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (by Steig Larsson...seriously, have you been living under a rock or something?) for a crazy 60% off. I got two of the biggest (in any sense) books of the summer for under $27. In other words, I bought a super-hot $27 book and got a super-hot $27.99 book for free.

I'm pretty happy. It would have been better if I remembered to use the AN link though but if anybody is planning on picking up those two books, get them from that newfangled Amazon thing, srsly. Sorry Powell's

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-31, 05:50

AVG Antivirus Pro free for today.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-09-10, 12:21

I don't know if there's any other Atlus whores here, but if you buy Knights in the Nightmare for PSP you get a free download of Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone! Atlus being Atlus, last year's DS version of Knights in the Nightmare is already hard to find, so it's a good chance to get one Sting game and get another, more different Sting game, for under $30.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-09-10, 13:20

...That may be something to investigate. Thanks, Robo!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-09-15, 00:49

Monkey Island 2. iPhone. $0.99. You're welcome
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-09-15, 03:12

The MI2 deal is still going! I was worried it would end at midnight, like an hour after I posted that, haha.

Oh, and for anyone considering purchasing a PlayStation Move, Kmart is having another one of their krazy game deals, because nobody buys video games at Kmart. Buy the PlayStation Move Starter Kit and get a $25 "gaming coupon" for a future purchase. Buy a Move controller, NaviCon, or charging station and get a $10 gaming coupon. Buy any of Sony's Move launch titles or Toy Story 3 (which supports the Move) and get a $10 gaming coupon. And if you're just buying the PS3, if you get the 320GB PS3/Move bundle, you get a $40 gaming coupon, which is sort of like getting 10% off. The deal lasts until the 25th, or "while supplies last," but any coupons obtained last until 10/23. It's "officially" one coupon per customer, though. Deets here.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-09-15, 08:43

Quote:
Monkey Island 2. iPhone. $0.99. You're welcome
Thanks! Snagged it this morning! Now to finish the first one.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-09-16, 10:10

I thought this looked interesting, for five dollars.

I ordered one so I will let you know how it is. OMG, I just bought a bible :O
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-09-16, 10:46

$95 off? Damn, that's awesome.