AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Airpods Pro

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Airpods Pro
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-10-28, 11:37

Fancy new earbuds from Apple. $249; active noise cancellation; Great Sound™; and just in time to not get any for Xmas*!

Apple

Macrumors

Look nice, and I'm sure they're awesome. And, since I don't use earbuds, they have no place in my life.

Bring on a new, redesigned iMac and we'll talk turkey.

*Also makes me wonder if tomorrow might see something else new? This could be one of those weeks.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-10-28, 11:47

I think I would prefer the Beats X style with a different color and the H1.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-10-28, 11:58

It's interesting the very different design paths that Apple is on between AirPods and Beats. They own both companies, and the sale of both products is off the charts. Clearly, there is a different customer for each, as your post clearly demonstrates.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-10-28, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
It's interesting the very different design paths that Apple is on between AirPods and Beats. They own both companies, and the sale of both products is off the charts. Clearly, there is a different customer for each, as your post clearly demonstrates.
Yup.

(My long-held dream is that they do something similar for the Mac, where there's an "Orange" brand that offers macOS computers that address different markets, thus not muddling the Apple brand and also not having to open macOS up for licensing.)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-10-28, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
(My long-held dream is that they do something similar for the Mac, where there's an "Orange" brand that offers macOS computers that address different markets, thus not muddling the Apple brand and also not having to open macOS up for licensing.)
Hey, you trying to derail my thread?
¡Damned!

2019-10-28, 15:28

Quote:
*Also makes me wonder if tomorrow might see something else new? This could be one of those weeks.
Oooo that would be fun. Maybe a new Apple TV on Friday with the beginning of TV+? A 16" MBP, updated iPad Pros and the Second Coming of Cheesegrater to fill in the days between now and then?

*edit: also the Tags thingies.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2019-10-28 at 17:54.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-10-28, 15:56

Possible. We shall see.
chucker

2019-10-28, 17:23

Quote:
Hey, you trying to derail my thread?
Yes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-10-28, 17:40

Quote:
Yes.
Well, don't!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-11-04, 07:53

I've been using these for about 5 days now and these are what I wish the original AirPods had been. These are awesome. First off, they stay in your ear. I've went through a couple workouts with them in to try out and see if they'd stay and I didn't have to adjust them at all. I couldn't even try with the other AirPods because I was adjusting them as soon as I put them in. The rubber tips make all the difference in the world.

The Active Noise Cancelation is a great feature too. I have over the ear Beats that have them but to have them in these little guys is fantastic. I used them yesterday while vacuuming and steam cleaning the floors and it works fantastic. Was able to listen to podcasts without any interrupting background noise.

I haven't really had any times to try out the battery length because I only wear them for an hour at a time at most and put them back in the case.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
chucker

2019-11-04, 08:51

There's even little things — like, they switch to Transparency mode if you take one out.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-04, 09:56

In the same way that Beats are up-scale headphones, these computers would also have to be upscale. Apple must avoid another fiasco like they had in the '90's when their licensing partners were underselling them and nearly killed them.

chucker

2019-11-04, 09:59

Are you replying to the wrong thread?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-04, 13:26

Holy crap, I am!

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-11-04, 15:18

Quote:
Yeah it's pretty wild when you are taking them out or putting them in and you can hear them switch from Transparency to Noise Cancelation and vice versa.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2019-11-06, 09:11

Got them on day 1. I just popped into the Apple Store sure they wouldn't have any but they did. I bought them on a whim with the expectation that I'd return them.

I still have them. They are awesome. They stay put, sound good and ANC/transparency mode are game changers for me. Transparency mode means I can wear them while cycling outside. Usually wearing any headphones while riding outside is a terrible idea but you can hear perfectly with these. "Hey Siri" works well while riding except at high speeds when the wind noise makes it hard for the mic to pick you up well.

I also did 90 minutes on my Peloton yesterday. They stayed put and seemed no worse for the wear when I got really sweaty.

Most importantly, they sound as good as any IEMs I've owned aside from the crazy expensive Campfire Audio Andromedas.

The only downside so far is that "hey Siri" isn't restricted to your voice. My son was "hey Siri'ing" our homepod yesterday while I was in the kitchen and the AirPods picked it up. My phone and iPad don't.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-11-08, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I also did 90 minutes on my Peloton yesterday. They stayed put and seemed no worse for the wear when I got really sweaty...
Off topic, but how do you like your Peloton? I'm thinking about getting one. I either lift or hit the elliptical in my home every day and have been thinking about getting one of these to mix up daily routines.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2019-11-10, 00:12

Tried them at the Apple store. The ear fit test failed for all three inserts for me. Despite the poor fit, the sound and isolation was good but the sound quality was not $250 in my opinion. I also found the new pressure touch buttons to be a terrible experience. I wish they would add a simple way to raise and lower volume and start and stop music that is easy to do while running as well.

My primary hesitation in buying them is their lifespan. My AirPods are basically useless now because their batteries are dead. We are in a weird stage of consumerism right now where everyone is pushing subscriptions but for some reason consumers are not picking up on the fact that nearly everything is a subscription. These AirPods are no different. At $250 we are basically paying $125/year for them as they won’t last more than 2 years.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-11-10, 18:03

I'm looking at these but haven't jumped yet. I was at the Apple Store getting my iPad swapped recently and looked at them. They had them in stock but I just couldn't bring myself to buy them yet. One I'd rather wait until the go on sale and I'm just not sure I'm ready to even pay the discounted price of $225 for my veterans pricing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2019-11-10, 19:07

Whether they sound good or not, $250 is a lot of money for earbuds. Especially on top of my just completed annual Apple splurge that occurs every September.
chucker

2019-11-11, 05:35

I'm still hoping for better-colored, H1-based Beats X.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-11-13, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Off topic, but how do you like your Peloton? I'm thinking about getting one. I either lift or hit the elliptical in my home every day and have been thinking about getting one of these to mix up daily routines.
I love it. I ride all the time. It's the best health-related purchase I've ever made.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-11-27, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I love it. I ride all the time. It's the best health-related purchase I've ever made.
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered one. Getting it delivered next Wednesday. Beyond excited.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-11-27, 14:23

Stupid Question Alert™

I've only ever owned/used wired Apple earbuds on any iPod or iPhone I've ever owned.

On these AirPods, how easy are they to lose, not being tethered to one another and being so small?

I feel like I can always be aware of/hang onto my wired earbuds (you definitely know you're wearing them, and if one were to fall out, you'd know it because it would dangle and hang there and the chanceof losing them completely seems greatly decreased.

Is that a known, accepted problem with AirPods, being extra careful/aware of all that? Are there third-party outfits that make some sort of "behind-the-head" tether cord for those concerned? Or do they just fit so good that falling out and losing them isn't an issue?

Have any of you, in the time AirPods have existed, lost one (or both), due to their design (small, wireless)?

I listen to music and podcasts more these days than probably ever before, but the stock earbuds that come with my iPhone have always been "good enough". But sometimes that cord does get tangled or I accidentally yank it in a way I wish I hadn't, etc.

I've never even seen AirPods in real life.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-27, 14:28

Interestingly, the biggest single reason for headphones "falling out" is the wire getting tangled/yanked, thus pulling the earbud out. AirPods do not have a wire to get tangled.

I don't own them, but the complaints we hear about are not loss, but hardware failure (which is rare considering the shear number of these things in the wild). However, that said we do see them get lost (replacements are not "cheap") but it is rare and tends to affect folks who habitually lose things than those who do not.

chucker

2019-11-27, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I've never even seen AirPods in real life.
Huh.

I see them all the frigging time these days in public. They seem to have largely displaced the circa-2010 "the cool kids wear Beats" trend.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-11-27, 16:03

Was everyone surprised that these new Pro offerings only came in the white? I know that's the standard, iconic color for so many of Apple's accessories (and their wired earbuds since the dawn of man), but I figured maybe there would be a Space Gray and maybe even another color or two (Product [RED], gold, etc.). A lot of their other products with "Pro" in the name come in Space Gray, so I just assumed that would've been an option on these new ones. Those other colors may not look as good in plastic as they do in aluminum or stainless steel, so that could be a reason as well.

Apple's funny...the products that 90% of the population puts into opaque, protective cases, Apple makes in multiple colors. Then on something like the AirPods, which are highly visible, aren't hidden in protective cases (and would kinda make sense to offer in a few different trendy, rotating colors) Apple just sticks with white. But that's also an established, iconic look at this point, so I can understand them just sticking with that...you see white things in people's ears, you just think "Apple". Free advertising all around the world.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-11-27 at 16:57.
chucker

2019-11-27, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
But that's also an established, iconic look at this point, so I can understand them just sticking with that...you see white things in people's ears, you just think "Apple". Free advertising all around the world.
I think there's all there is to it.

There's knockoffs in white too, of course, but no matter what, any earphones in the next few years will continue to have that brand association. "Oh yeah, that person has an iPod — or lookalike" is now "…a pair of AirPods — or lookalike". Nobody is going to think "hey, those look like Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro 3!"
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-27, 16:51

Yep. White earbuds are Apple, no matter how you shake the bottle.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-12-02, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered one. Getting it delivered next Wednesday. Beyond excited.
Nice! Did you use a referral code? It gives you like $100 off or something like that. If you didn't, you may be able to add it now (and you can use mine )

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.