Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

From MacTheRipper To Watching DVD

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
From MacTheRipper To Watching DVD
cucubee5

2006-01-01, 21:16

Hi All,

I used MacTheRipper for one DVD and have all of the following files: .vob, .bup and .ifo. The only files I am allowed to play are the .vob with the VLC Media player, however, the problem is that all the .vob files are out of order and does not seem to really entail the entire movie (almost an hour and a half). Am I missing something? Maybe a decompression software to view the whole DVD?

Thanks!
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2006-01-01, 22:28

Hi and welcome to AN.
Let me lead you to the search feature. You will find multiple threads on this issue and on ripping DVD's in general. Search is your friend

To answer your question.
You will need another piece of software. I use DVD2oneX. It is something like $45 and is well worth the price.

Some people use ffmpegx. This is also payware and IMHO is not as user friendly as DVD2oneX.

If you search macupdate.com you will find other software that will help you out.

good luck.
faramirtook
A for effort.

2006-01-01, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucubee5
Hi All,

I used MacTheRipper for one DVD and have all of the following files: .vob, .bup and .ifo. The only files I am allowed to play are the .vob with the VLC Media player, however, the problem is that all the .vob files are out of order and does not seem to really entail the entire movie (almost an hour and a half). Am I missing something? Maybe a decompression software to view the whole DVD?

Thanks!

You can drop the VIDEO_TS folder on DVD player, and it'll play for you. I think.
cucubee5

2006-01-01, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara
Hi and welcome to AN.
Let me lead you to the search feature. You will find multiple threads on this issue and on ripping DVD's in general. Search is your friend

To answer your question.
You will need another piece of software. I use DVD2oneX. It is something like $45 and is well worth the price.

Some people use ffmpegx. This is also payware and IMHO is not as user friendly as DVD2oneX.

If you search macupdate.com you will find other software that will help you out.

good luck.
Thanks kretara. I will look into DVD2oneX program...sounds promising!
WMD

Send a message via ICQ to WMD Send a message via AIM to WMD Send a message via Yahoo to WMD  
2006-01-01, 22:42

You can also tell VLC to play a VIDEO_TS folder. You never really want to play a certain VOB file.
cucubee5

2006-01-01, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by faramirtook
You can drop the VIDEO_TS folder on DVD player, and it'll play for you. I think.
Faramirtook, I tried using the DVD player on the Powerbook, but it wasn't able to open it. If I clicked "File" and then "Open," the program wouldn't read the VIDEO_TS folder.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-01-01, 22:50

Try VLC, like WMD said. Just drag the VIDEO_TS file on to it and it should play the whole movie.
faramirtook
A for effort.

2006-01-01, 22:50

I think Handbrake can encode a VIDEO_TS folder.

For DVD player, you need to drag the folder and drop it on DVD Player.
k squared

2006-01-02, 13:28

Do you just want to watch the ripped DVD? Then DVD Player can handle that.

Do you want to burn the ripped DVD to a DVD? Then you will need an encoder, like Popcorn or DVD2oneX, to compress and encoded the DVD to fit onto a single layer DVD.

If you want to compress and encode into a different format, then Handbreak will work. (To fit onto a CD-R or iPod, for example.)

www.ripdifferent.com is the website you want to check out.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-01-02, 14:18

Or buy dual layered DVD's, but they are still relatively expensive at ~$3.50/disc.
cucubee5

2006-01-02, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by k squared
Do you just want to watch the ripped DVD? Then DVD Player can handle that.

Do you want to burn the ripped DVD to a DVD? Then you will need an encoder, like Popcorn or DVD2oneX, to compress and encoded the DVD to fit onto a single layer DVD.

If you want to compress and encode into a different format, then Handbreak will work. (To fit onto a CD-R or iPod, for example.)

www.ripdifferent.com is the website you want to check out.

Just watch the ripped DVD. So drag the VIDEO_TS.vob file onto DVD player and I should be fine? Thanks for all the advice everyone!
k squared

2006-01-02, 23:30

Typically, I will open DVD Player > File Menu > Open DVD Media > Select Video_TS folder. Select the whole folder, not just a particular file. Edit: if you use the File>Open path, DVD Player will not permit you to select an individual .vob file, only the entire Video_TS folder.

For whatever reason, DVD Player will not recognize an entire ripped folder, only the Video_TS folder within...I know it's possible for an application to be 'aware' enough to see a Video_TS folder nested within another because Popcorn can, but oh well.
faramirtook
A for effort.

2006-01-03, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucubee5
Just watch the ripped DVD. So drag the VIDEO_TS.vob file onto DVD player and I should be fine? Thanks for all the advice everyone!

No, the entire folder. Drag the entire VIDEO_TS folder onto DVD player.
cucubee5

2006-01-03, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by faramirtook
No, the entire folder. Drag the entire VIDEO_TS folder onto DVD player.

K. Thanks!