User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

tired of not being able to play online music on my mac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
tired of not being able to play online music on my mac
nassau

2004-10-21, 17:21

i'm a macuser since the dark ages and i'll stay a macuser till cars start flying, but...

Am I the only one that's s i c k - a n d - t i r e d of not being able to play a lot of audio online. .ASF and all of those things, i don't know the name of them all. why can't quicktime play this. i'm so tired of treating myself like a second grade citizen thinking i shouldn't even bother clicking on links to audio cus i can't play it. probably 40% of audio online is unplayable on my mac.

and don't tell me to "hack the terminal" with fsj -r remote fsk or something. i'm on a mac cus is easy to use. the terminal isn't. GAAAAHHH

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-10-21, 18:00

WMP will play most of the proprietary MicroSoft formats.

Blame the buggers who don't publish in standard formats, rather than Apple/Quicktime.

Or go to versiontracker and search for the filetype you can't play and get a player.
nassau

2004-10-21, 18:14

i was just gonna say, don't say "blame the content providors". this is the way it is and macs are left out - period.

and this is media, not just audio, so many movie clips that are lost on a mac, it's saddening.

can they just suppport all formats in one player? imagine getting 3 different CD players for different types of CDs, this is retarded! ( )
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-10-21, 18:47

Does Apple support all of the standard protocols? Absolutely.
In fact, good chunks of modern standards such as MPEG-4 are based on QuickTime.

Check out this old comparison chart of supported data formats.

Macintosh support for everything listed. Windows gaps in many formats.

Some of the data types supported by QT include SGI/Sun/Amiga legacy formats seldom found in competing players. Some SMIL support is included in QT, but recent proprietary changes by Real mean there are some files you must have their player for.

There are additional codecs you can add to quicktime or vlc or other mac compatible players.

Even WMP for the Mac won't support some Microsoft proprietary codecs. Talk to Redmond.
Their latest player doesn't even support their own streaming technologies.
Where do you think more of the blame rests?

If more people published in standard formats, or offered multiple options...

[ edit: better graphs and more updated comparison lists exist, but this one googled first ]
futuretheory

2004-10-21, 19:51

Standard this, standard that. Don't matter folks 'cause the standard is Windows. I love my Mac, but that's just how it is. Less games, less compatibility, but still a better experience. That's the choice you make when you go with a platform with low market share.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-10-21, 20:07

If you really want to hear and see Microsoft proprietary crap then you might have to use a Microsoft product. No, not Windows, you CAN get Windows Media Player for Mac you know.

Although if it's an ASF file, VLC will almost certainly play it.

And expecting Apple to support ANY proprietary format is not a realistic expectation (although a couple of non-Apple proprietary formats are supported in Mac OS X, Apple has been on a quest for open standards for the past few years).

And please nobody feed the troll.

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-10-21, 20:08

use vlc
or mplayer