User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

What the hell is with the Apple leaf-blower FireWire boot thing?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What the hell is with the Apple leaf-blower FireWire boot thing?
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-10-25, 11:36

Is there some technical reason that Apple makes the G5 based computers go into FULL ON LEAF BLOWER FAN ACTION when you boot them from a FireWire drive?

I remember putting earplugs in when I had my duallie last year, and had to work for a while booted from my FW drive. It was too loud to use for any length of time.

Then I booted from a FW drive with my G5 iMac, forgetting about my previous experience, and I swear the iMac hovered for a second. If it wasn't for that power cord, the mother would have floated up to my ceiling.

If you ask me, they've basically taken the functionality of FireWire drive booting away. You can do it if you have to, but holy jesus mother of god sonofabitch is it loud. What the HELL do they need this for?

Here's a little hack job movie of the difference in fan noise between regular use and having it booted from the FW drive. The first part is actually on the loud side too, as it had been running F@H for a long time and the fans were sped up a little.

http://homepage.mac.com/murbot/.Movies/fans.mp4

Crank up the speakers for full effect.

Why Apple, WHYYYYYYY???!!!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-10-25, 11:43

the fans default to full bore all the time. the OS software has to tell them to slow down based on the temperature that it's reading. if the fans don't get input from the OS to slow down, they go full bore.

this is to prevent heat damage in case something goes horribly wrong with your OS. not sure if they can build the intelligence into TargetDisk mode required to meet those needs.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-10-25, 11:49

I wonder why they couldn't? Can it be that hard for them to do?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-10-25, 11:58

Well, if the OS version you have on the FireWire drive doesn't have the right drivers for the thermal regulation system on the mobo, the fans will go into full speed.

Install the OS version that came with your iMac onto the drive (which should have the latest and greatest drivers) and see if it still happens.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-10-25, 11:59

Unbelievable...why are vacuums so big then if you can fit them in a 2" panel?
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2004-10-25, 13:58

your mouse sounded kind of loud too

Yup, thats pretty loud.
I remember running the extended hardware test on my dual 2 G5 and watching some papers that were behind the G5 go flying because of the fans. I go so fed up with the noise that I took an early (and very long) lunch so that I didn't have to listen to the fans.

Last edited by kretara : 2004-10-26 at 08:31.
Canoe112

2004-10-25, 21:16

Murbot,

Yeah, that is pretty loud. Sounds like the Tail Rotor of a Huey I almost walked into years ago.

I wonder what the G5 PowerBooks will sound like.

Canoe112
iDaver

2004-10-28, 00:00

I haven't got that problem when booting my PowerBook from an external disk. What would be the difference with a G5?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-10-28, 00:05

He's referring to Firewire Target Disk Mode. That's when you connect one Mac to another with a Firewire cable and boot one of them up while holding down the T key. Then, that computer's hard drive shows up as an external drive on the one it's connected to. It also makes the fans in the Firewire-booted computer spin up to full.
SilentEchoes
Unique Like Everyone Else

Send a message via AIM to SilentEchoes  
2004-10-28, 04:27

I never really thought of my dual 533 as loud, but if you guys are calling that loud than this thing must sound like a tank starting up.

I must have gotten used to it, either that or its all the PCs I have had around here that really do sound like vacuums. I had one that was so loud that if I ever wanted to watch TV in my room I would have to turn it off. My room is about 18x18 with the computer and TV on the opposite site too.

One thing though, that fan noise is a lot more high pitched than mine. Maybe mine is just easier to deal with I dunno.

Then again I haven't really had the thing off since I got it 4 years ago. Maybe I should try turning it off sometime and see the difference.

WARNING: Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor.
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-10-28, 11:16

No Luca, that's just me using a FireWire drive as the startup volume.

I have also owned a dual 533, and I don't know if this video just isn't capturing the "real" loudness of the fans, but I can tell you that the duallie is *nothing* compared to the iMac when the fans are running full blast.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-10-28, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Well, if the OS version you have on the FireWire drive doesn't have the right drivers for the thermal regulation system on the mobo, the fans will go into full speed.

Install the OS version that came with your iMac onto the drive (which should have the latest and greatest drivers) and see if it still happens.
Have you tried this - installing the OS onto the FireWire drive from the iMac?
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-10-28, 11:23

I can't anymore. I'm not saying why, either.

ast3r3x

2004-10-28, 11:28

I tried to adjust my sound so that the mouse click was as loud as it used to be when I used one...or as I recall.

I was thinking about getting G5, but I am used to my powerbook, where it's silent. I mean, I can just faintly hear the HD spinning, and everything else is silent. Wish my typing wasn't so loud.
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-10-28, 11:38

Oh, the loud mouse thing. I have a habit of tapping the mouse instead of just depressing the button. Like I'll raise my finger an inch or so and hit down on the mouse.

I also think I'm going to get one of those totally loud keyboards. I like loud mice and keyboards for some reason.
ast3r3x

2004-10-28, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
Oh, the loud mouse thing. I have a habit of tapping the mouse instead of just depressing the button. Like I'll raise my finger an inch or so and hit down on the mouse.

I also think I'm going to get one of those totally loud keyboards. I like loud mice and keyboards for some reason.
Reason: Your retarded.
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-10-28, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Reason: Your retarded.
My retarded what?

You didn't finish your sentence.

Oh wait, you did. You just don't have the intelligence to use proper grammar. Makes your post a little ironic in a way.

¡Damned!

2004-10-28, 14:17

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-10-28, 15:19

Quote:
My retarded what?

You didn't finish your sentence.

Oh wait, you did. You just don't have the intelligence to use proper grammar. Makes your post a little ironic in a way.

Burn!!!

Chalk one up for Murbot.

Paul
Veteran Member

2004-10-28, 15:41

Quote:

ALREADY?!

what is it being replaced by?
ast3r3x

2004-10-28, 16:28

I was having too much fun typing that response that all of my grammar and basic english skills failed.

AAAnnnnnnyyyywho, you're retarded.
SilentEchoes
Unique Like Everyone Else

Send a message via AIM to SilentEchoes  
2004-10-28, 19:07

Quote:
No Luca, that's just me using a FireWire drive as the startup volume.

I have also owned a dual 533, and I don't know if this video just isn't capturing the "real" loudness of the fans, but I can tell you that the duallie is *nothing* compared to the iMac when the fans are running full blast.
Its not a stock machine though, Its got an 8500 in it thats decently loud, and a firewire HD that sits on top of it thats quite loud too.

Its not a high pitched loud though so it doesnt really get to me, that and pretty much every PC I have ever had in my room, Custom built ones and store bought ones always over power it.

WARNING: Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-10-28, 22:40

Quote:

It's been murbotted already? Must be a record