Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Migrated to iCloud and now my iPhone push mail isn't pushing as before

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Migrated to iCloud and now my iPhone push mail isn't pushing as before
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-02, 10:08

Finally pulled the trigger three days ago and migrated my MobileMe account to iCloud. Everything went smooth and easy, but I've noticed the past couple of days that I don't get mail on my iPhone unless/until I turn the phone on, click the Mail app and navigate to the inbox. Because of this, I've missed about 15-20 e-mails in the past couple of days, not seeing/knowing about them until sometimes hours after they were sent.

Whatever you want to say about MobileMe, this was never the case. All day long, as new mail would arrive, I'd hear that little "ding" sound (or feel the vibration/buzz).

Just missed two emails from Dad this morning, sent 90 minutes ago.

What gives?

I didn't change any settings anywhere on my OS X Mail.app's preferences, and nowhere on the iPhone itself either. I can send and receive everything just fine, that's not problem. But my iCloud mail doesn't seem to be pushing/loading automatically for me now, after switching over to iCloud.

In my iPhone's settings - in the Mail, Contacts, Calendars section - the "Fetch New Data" field is set to "Push", as it's always been.

Is this an iOS 5.1 glitch, or something on the backend from Apple and their iCloud servers?

I ask because the same thing is happening to my Mom and my friend (who both have the iPhone 4s and running 5.1.

For what it's worth, my Mom is a newcomer to iCloud (she was never on MobileMe), and my friend, like me, is a longtime iTools/.Mac/MobileMe user. So this weird little issue seems to affect both types of iCloud users (those who are brand new, and those who've migrated over from longstanding, previous accounts).

Any ideas? Are any of you experiencing this?

I do believe my OS X Mail is working as it should. New mail will pop up in that inbox, even if I'm in other apps or not even sitting at the Mac or otherwise "triggering" any sort of "get new mail" actions.

It's my iPhone. And it worked perfectly (MobileMe push/IMAP mail) until I migrated to iCloud, so I know the problem lies within that in some sort of way.

EDIT: just saw this post at Apple's support forums. It describes exactly what I'm dealing with:

Quote:
I have been quiet but am still monitoring.

I just wanted to summarize:

Push stops working for no real identifiable reason
It could work for hours or days, no identifiable time
It fails on Multiple Servers (platforms)
It fails on Multiple Providers (iCloud, Google Apps for Domains, Gmail, Corporate Exchange Servers 2007 and 2010)
This eliminates issues with "server capaticy" since it is across multiple providers
It fails on WIFI and Cellular with no identifiable reason for starting/stoping
DNS Changes have not reliable solved the problem

The common denoninators are iOS 5.x and PUSH.

Push works on Google Apps for Domain, Gmail, Corporate Exchange Servers 2007, 2010 on other devices, thus this rules out the provider
Push works (worked) on iOS 4.x, thus rules out providers

All indications point to iOS.
Apparently it's a known, ongoing thing for many.

Bummer.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-05-02, 19:01

Now that you mention it my phone doesn't auto-download mail at all. I currently don't use my free iCloud email account but have IMAP accounts set up. None of them auto-check. I have to navigate to the inbox like you said before it does. Doesn't matter to me because I do check regularly, but it does matter I guess.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-02, 21:12

That's the way mine has worked all this time, except until this iCloud changeover a few days ago.

I always liked not having to manually check - the whole point of "push" I thought - so it's a bit weird. Not that I'm some important, "gotta be reached 24/7" mover-and-shaker type, don't get me wrong...

But I am indeed missing emails from friends and family as they're sent, which was never the case before, all these years. I've missed a couple of time-sensitive questions/invites, left someone hanging on a Mac-related question, etc. the past several days (and I'm one of these "if you write me, I'll always give you the courtesy of a prompt reply" types...so I'm sure people have wondered if perhaps I've died. Or been sent to prison or something.

So it has a bit of legit, real-life fallout.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-05-02 at 21:24.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-04, 11:30

That little tip outlined above worked for two days. Starting late last night, and then all day today, I've missed e-mails because they're not being pushed/loaded automatically.

This is stupid, I guess that's the difference between paying $99 a year for something, vs. getting it for free?

Never had any real, ongoing problems of this sort the entire 10 years I was on iTools/.Mac/MobileMe. I change my crap over 4-5 days ago, and now I'm checking e-mail manually like it's 1998 or something. What worked perfectly all this time has, as of five days ago, stopped. Merely by switching to the "new and improved" version of all the above.

Nice. Now I get to be one of those jackasses walking around with their phone always in their hand, checking the damn thing every 5-10 minutes because most of my communication these days, friends and family, is email-based. I've already missed a few time-sensitive ones that loused up plans or an afternoon/evening scenario...

This kinda sucks.

Give me Calendar and/or bookmark glitches. I'll deal with those. Don't torque up my e-mail, though...
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2012-05-04, 11:46

If you can't get push working, you could always change to fetch and have your phone pull every 15 minutes. Not the best solution, but it should solve your problem.

As an aside, my Yahoo push setup still works.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-05, 09:11

Of course. But that's certainly a "less than" workaround, and not how this should be working (nor is it how it's worked all these years). It's something on Apple's end, and I wish they'd fix it so it works like it's supposed to.

I also have a Yahoo account and it works fine with push, so it's definitely something on the Apple/iCloud end of things.

And FWIW, all other iCloud aspects work fine (calendar, bookmark and contacts syncing, downloading purchases on other devices, etc.).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-05-05 at 09:24.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-27, 11:48

22 days later, nothing is any better. I'm missing e-mails constantly. I even did a complete restore on my phone (and didn't even do the "rebuild from backup"...I set it up just like a brand new, first-time phone". Everything wiped/removed, iOS reinstalled, I had to go through that initial set-up procedure again, etc.

As before, everything works perfectly except my iCloud-based mail (my primary "@mac.com" account that I've had for all these years, since iTools) simply won't automatically push/notify me. The only way I know if I have a new e-mail is to wake the phone, launch mail, go to the inbox and wait for it to refresh/load. As you can imagine, this sucks after a long time of stuff just automatically "dinging", 24/7, as new mail arrives.

Others I know with iPhones and iCloud-based mail are having the same, or similar issues, while others aren't at all. So I can't discern any sort of set, obvious pattern or rhyme/reason. It's just aggravating. I thought surely yesterday's restore would've fixed it.

Nope.

FWIW, I loaded up my secondary/rarely-used Yahoo! account on the iPhone and sent some test mails to it and it, too, isn't being pushed. Just as with my iCloud/@mac.com e-mail, I have to launch the Mail app and wait for it to get. All my settings are on Push, etc.

Just some weird iCloud/server snag?

It's a pisser because it worked perfectly until I migrated.

Am I the only one dealing with this? What makes me so special?

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2012-05-30, 08:18

My Yahoo email account still pushes. Not sure what's going on with your phone. Maybe bring it to an ATT store and see if they'll swap it???
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-08-20, 15:26

EDIT: eh, screw it...I'm tired of bitching about it. There's obviously a problem somewhere, and everything on my end - hardware and software - is set the way it should be.

I know that Siri is under beta. Is iCloud Mail/Notification Center too and I just somehow missed the announcement?

Gonna go check and see if www.paulgripesabouthisiphone.com is already taken. If not, keep your eyes out for an awesome new site coming soon!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-08-20 at 15:37.