User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

A How To question for Mac Keyboards.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
A How To question for Mac Keyboards.
Skkyhawke2

2006-11-13, 15:52

Does any one know if there is any successful way to convert a mac keyboard either on a desktop unit or a laptop from QWERTY to dvorak? Not via mapping but physically moving around keys.
Many thanks.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-11-13, 15:55

Just pry the keys off (carefully) and snap them back on in the desired order.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-13, 16:01

Of course,
1) this won't work with keyboards where each row has distinct height of keys, such as the Tactile Pro. I believe all Apple keyboards (and certainly the laptop ones) have uniform key height, though.
2) ideally, you should avoid looking at the keys' labels at all. Part of Dvorak's efficiency appeal is in memorizing key locations, not having to manually check.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-11-13, 17:05

can you get blank keys?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-13, 17:09

http://www.daskeyboard.com/
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-11-14, 00:01

i meant for the apple keyboard, i know of das keyboard.... i like the silky smooth scissor keys of the MBP
chucker

2006-11-14, 00:02

Well, you'd destroy part of the backlight function (since it works both through shining between keys, as well as shining through the keys' translucent labels).
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-11-14, 08:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Well, you'd destroy part of the backlight function (since it works both through shining between keys, as well as shining through the keys' translucent labels).
If you're not looking at the keys (as you suggested), this would be irrelevant. In fact, if you don't look at the keys, you probably shouldn't be using the backlight illumination anyway.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

2006-11-14, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
If you're not looking at the keys (as you suggested), this would be irrelevant. In fact, if you don't look at the keys, you probably shouldn't be using the backlight illumination anyway.
Yes, I thought about that in the past, but I find myself enjoying the illumination — as an ambience effect more than anything — despite not actually looking at the keys.
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2006-11-15, 00:36

How would moving the keys and changing the order and layout of them ruin the backlight?

They're all the same size are they not, and each key is just a key. Should make no difference to the backlight- it'll still be able to shine through the gaps and through the label.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-11-15, 02:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFerret View Post
How would moving the keys and changing the order and layout of them ruin the backlight?
chucker was (I believe) referring to the use of "blank" keys that have no letters and thus no inner area for the light to shine.
chucker

2006-11-15, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
chucker was (I believe) referring to the use of "blank" keys that have no letters and thus no inner area for the light to shine.
Oui monsieur.
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2006-11-15, 23:56

ah, yes. sorry.