User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 167 of 222 First Previous 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-13, 08:54

I don't think our employers insure our commute here in the US. I'd guess they don't actually given I've never heard of a lawsuit/settlement for this kind of situation here in the States. Maybe there is and it just isn't publicized though.

Our employers don't care how you get to work, just be there on time at your own expense and liability from what I have seen.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-12-13, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I should know better by this point.
I… wasn't trying to argue, just to point out that the lawsuit is related to (arguably archaic) distinctions of who covers what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I don't think our employers insure our commute here in the US. I'd guess they don't actually given I've never heard of a lawsuit/settlement for this kind of situation here in the States. Maybe there is and it just isn't publicized though.

Our employers don't care how you get to work, just be there on time at your own expense and liability from what I have seen.
Yeah, it's all tightly regulated here (with exemptions, e.g. if you're an employer yourself); things like: it'll only cover a break of up to two hours a day.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-13, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post

Same. I think of all the fender-benders (and worse) that have surely occurred on the way to and from one’s workplace. I’ve never heard of any of them winding up with the employer on the hook for any reason. If so, it’s just not talked about.

Once you enter the building of your company and you slip and fall or fall over a railing, choke on a sandwich or a light fixture falls on your head, then that’s different.

I guess, since staircase guy lives/works in the same place they’re considering the entire joint “the workplace”, and the walk down from his bedroom to the computer/office his commute. Seems a little broad to me, but I'm not a lawyer or legal/workplace expert.

I would like to hear some more details re: how/why he fell down said stairs. Was it a true accident despite doing everything right (holding the rail, paying attention, etc.), or was he, like many stupid, avoidable 21st-century “accidents”, was he dicking around with his phone, distracted and not focused on the task at hand (driving, walking down stairs, etc.).*

I think I’ve got every reason to be curious on that front, considering. Nobody should be rewarded for the latter. But I'm mean and weird like that.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
*I'd love to see some chart/study about any change/rise in accidents (household, highway, etc.) post-2007. I have to believe there's going to be a uptick coinciding with the iPhone, and growing alongside the popularity of the device itself over the years (in 2007 we didn't have games and social media and the concept of "look at me"/selfies we do in more recent years - nobody was duck-pouting on Instagram in those early years - so I would think those numbers, after an initial appearance/bump in 2007-2010, have also steadily accelerated/grown in the past 5-8 years as well as these things are used so much, for so many reasons now than they were 10-14 years ago (banking, gaming, navigation, photography/video, duck-pout/camel toe artisans, etc.).

I saw a guy riding his motorcycle on the freeway a few weeks ago...he had his phone in his left hand, looking at it. This wasn't a surface street, stopped at a redlight, mind you. This was on highway 153, from one side of Chattanooga to the other (across the river), a six-lane divided highway/major route that branches off I-75 and has freeway-like speeds of 60mph for a solid 4-5 miles, until you cross the river into Hixson/North Chattanooga where it transitions into commercial surface street with stores, restaurants, traffic lights, 35-40mph limits, etc.. He passed me, so he was in the 60mph+ bunch, and I clearly saw him holding/looking at his phone with just one hand on the motorcycle at that speed, with other vehicles all around.

All I could think was "you kinda deserve whatever comes your way; you're practically begging for it."

These people are out there. And they're not going to go away, not now. I see just the sliver of it, I'm sure. And so I can't help but wonder if any of that played a role in Herr Staircase's situation. And, if known, would it have affected the judgment/ruling? Naturally, he's never going to cop to such a thing because he'd know better. But I'm still gonna wonder.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-13 at 10:30.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-13, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I… wasn't trying to argue, just to point out that the lawsuit is related to (arguably archaic) distinctions of who covers what.
I know. I should've included a smiley/laugh-y because it probably came across snottier than I'd actually intended.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-12-13, 10:04

Quote:
I know. I should've included a smiley/laugh-y because it probably came across snottier than I'd actually intended.
'sall good man
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-13, 19:25

**Celebrity/Legal News**

Kim Kardashian passes California's 'baby bar' law exam at fourth attempt

Quote:
Kim Kardashian has passed a law exam and moved a step closer to being able to practice as an attorney in the state of California.

Kardashian revealed that she passed the exam at the fourth attempt in an Instagram post published Monday.
"I couldn't concentrate those first three times because the camera kept getting in the way." - KK (okay, she didn't say this, but she probably could've).

Quote:
Kardashian said she was suffering with Covid-19 during one attempt to pass the exam, which is one of two she needs to pass in order to become a practicing attorney in California.
For those who've always wanted your case presented with a vocal fry, 25-60 selfies and on-point contouring (and a huge round ass), your day is coming.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-13, 19:29

Quote:
(and a huge round ass)
It is not "round". It is more a lumpy collection of cauliflower and botox nodules.

If you're gonna report the news, do some fact-checking!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-13, 19:59

I've not seen it up close, so I don't know. I just know it's bigger than most Buicks.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-14, 12:26

Well, there it is: BuickButt.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-14, 14:30

...and probably driven as much.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-14, 14:32

Have a look around, dude. The only people that drive Buicks are old and wrinkly.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-12-14, 15:23

She was likely thinking of the little engine that could... "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can," each time she tried. Lets face it a computer could likely do a better job than most lawyers, so the fact that she can pass doesn't say much.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-14, 15:41

I'm looking forward to the first lawsuits she files, because you know that's why she's doing it. Why pay her own attorneys 35% when she can represent herself?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-15, 09:56

In all seriousness - as much as one can be serious about a Kardashian - I don't know what she plans to do with it. She doesn't have to work. You know she's not about to go into criminal law and align herself with the lowlifes and takers. And she's just not going to be smart/experienced enough to be some major firm's high-powered legal representation (is Apple going to keep her on retainer or any makeup/fashion-related legal snags?).

I think there's a bit of "daddy" in this, some promise she made to her old man or something, ages ago. Just because she wanted to. No problem with that. It's a pretty lofty goal, one that I could never do. I couldn't stand to be around that many lawyers, for starters...

When you look at her Instagram feed, or anything else she's put out into the world, would you feel, as a client, that she was putting as much time and focus into your case/situation as she was her makeup/contouring routine? You can't have an attorney be someone that vain and narcissistic fully going to bat for you...it won't work.

No, you need a Lena Dunham-type who you know never looks in the mirror before she heads out into the world.

I think it's a "box-checking" thing. She's not going to go into law all of a sudden. She might dip a toe into it for a bit and then realize "I can make more money, and have more impact, posting ass selfies on a vacation yacht..." (I hear ya, sweetie; same here ). I think she just wanted to do it because she thought she could. And there's nothing wrong with that. But anyone thinking she's going to be some practicing, day-to-day lawyer - in any field - is nuts. She wouldn't lower herself, or take the pay-cut.

But what's going to be funny - and the ultimate payoff to all this - is to see her soon-to-be-ex(?) feeling upstaged; and then the world has to someday deal with Kanye West (or Yeezy, Ye, Puff Ye or whatever-the-hell-he's-calling-himself-that-week), Esq.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-15 at 10:16.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-15, 10:22

**Movie/Entertainment/Cultural News**

National Film Registry deems Return Of The Jedi and The Lord Of The Rings culturally significant

Pretty cool. The other two SW entries were already on it, deservedly so, so I guess they felt like they should round out the trilogy and include the closing chapter.

I'll withhold comment on if/when episodes 1-3 (and 7-9 ) ever earn the honor*. But I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully I'll be long gone and won't have to know about it, either way.

But they can certainly stop right now, and maintain their credibility.

The other movies selected this year (not gonna take the time to italicize them all):

- Selena
- WALL-E
- Cooley High
- Pink Flamingos (it was the turd scene, right?)
- Strangers On A Train
- Stop Making Sense
- The Watermelon Woman
- What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?
- A Nightmare On Elm Street
- The Flying Ace
- Hellbound Train

Looks like another year of Lesbian Nurse Sorority Pillow Orgy, Vol. 17 being snubbed.

*I withhold nothing! I can actually imagine the prequels making it there one day. As disjointed, incoherent and overwrought of a mess as they were, they were still George's disjointed, incoherent and overwrought mess. It was still squarely, fully his vision and story to tell, leading up to the three movies that are already in the registry. That may count for something among these film registry folks...overall vision, a writer/director seeing his "big picture" story through, that multi-decade continuation, etc. But the sequels? No. George had left the building by then, and none of those three movies made any real sense on their own, let alone viewed alongside the six that came before. Not a snowball's chance in Hoth those wind up anywhere but the $5 bin at Walmart, being outsold by Lemony Snicket and Rush Hour movies.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-15 at 11:11.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-12-15, 15:14

Quote:
Looks like another year of Lesbian Nurse Sorority Pillow Orgy, Vol. 17 being snubbed.
Yeah, the movie you made as a crazy kid just isn’t going to cut it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-15, 15:25

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Uhm, link?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-15, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
*smack*

Good one, actually.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2021-12-16, 04:41

Peaked at 15
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-17, 09:07

Florida Men.... Do I really need to say more?
Quote:
Two South Florida men have pleaded guilty in Ohio to leading a nationwide scheme to fraudulently obtain more than $35 million in COVID-19 relief loans.
At least this one was an overachiever!
Quote:
Prosecutors said they submitted or facilitated at least 79 fraudulent loan applications worth at least $35 million and planned to submit more.

As part of the same scheme, Diamond Smith, 37, of Miramar, Florida, was sentenced Thursday to one year and eight months after pleading guilty in August in South Florida to conspiracy to commit wire fraud. Smith, a recording artist, obtained two PPP loans, for $426,717 and $708,065, and paid more than $250,000 to Stote and Augustin as kickbacks for their assistance in preparing and submitting the fraudulent loan applications, officials said.
What amazes me is how these people think they would get away with it. It is a loan. Someone is one day going to stick their hand back out to get the money back.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-17, 10:03

Exactly. I’ve posted two similar stories in recent weeks, and I’ve seen others about people doing similar things. The stupidity involved is mind blowing.

They’re just not thinking. Most shithead criminals don’t. That’s why so many are in the joint, or six feet in the ground.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-12-17, 15:10

Reminds me of the idiots up here who got COVID benefits, while working full time (which means they were not eligible). They spent the money, then at tax time the CRA gave them a call, ‘so you need to pay that all back, plus a penalty fee.’ Can’t fix stupid.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-17, 15:38

Florida Man...

Sentenced to longest term yet for Capitol Riot on Jan 6th.
Quote:
U.S. Judge Tanya Chutkan sentenced Robert Scott Palmer to the longest sentence for any person convicted for their role in the January 6 insurrection at the Capitol.

Palmer was given a 63-month sentence to be served in federal prison. He received an additional 36 months of supervised release and was ordered to pay $2,000 in restitution.
This guy was truly combative to law enforcement, he wasn't just along for the ride like so many others who trespassed.

Personally, I'm glad to see these idiots getting hammered for their actions. I still find it completely inexcusable no matter what logic they come up with.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-17, 22:23

On a related note:

Actor Jay Johnston Banned From ‘Bob’s Burgers’ Over Capitol Riot

Fuck around, get booted from acclaimed TV show?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-18, 19:49

**Funny/College News**

UTC Professor Leaves $50 Bill For Any Student Who Spotted It In The Class Syllabus; It Goes Unclaimed

Neat local story.

Years ago a high school teacher did something similar, telling us all to read through the entire test beforehand BEFORE we started taking it. Me and one other person walked up about a minute later, turned our test in and headed to the library. People saw us doing it and it never occurred to them to maybe ask/figure out why. Big shock.

The test, at the very bottom, after the final "question", had said something like "congratulations for following instructions. This was the test. Sign your name and today's date and enjoy a library pass".

I read the small print and all the extra, incidental stuff. Always. You never know what sort of surprise or treat might be waiting for you.

These dorks all missed out on a chance to score an easy $50 because of their apparent inability (unwillingness?) to read anything longer than 140 characters (and even that's pushing it for some). Bet these members of Generation TL;DR will all read their syllabus next time!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-20, 04:52

**Tech/Funny/We-Can-All-Finally-Agree-on-Something News**

Facebook Crowned 'Worst Company of 2021' by New Survey

I can dig it.

Quote:
Yahoo Finance every year crowns the best company of the year, with Microsoft taking the top spot for 2021. This year, however, Yahoo Finance also did a "worst company of the year" challenge, with Facebook, now known as Meta, quickly taking the top spot. According to the survey, which polled over 1,000 individuals, Facebook received 50% more votes for the spot compared to Alibaba, a Chinese e-commerce platform.
Sounds about right. Hey, no such thing as bad press, right?

Marky Mark, when reached for comment.

“Deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that Web -- you need me on that Web. We use words like "security lapses”, “misinformation", "selling your info". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent producing nothing. You use them as a punchline!” - Col. Mark E. Zuckerberg

Afterwards he inexplicably threatened to rip out Tom Cruise’s eyes and piss into his dead skull, which most agreed was a bit out of nowhere and “random AF”.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-20 at 05:15.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-12-20, 11:18

Metabook can change it’s name, but the face of evil cannot be hid.

Well deserved award for Facebook. Just like one my clients neighbours dogs, they’ve won the most annoying dogs of the year award 5 years straight.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-23, 10:51

**Travel/Idiots-on-Airplanes News**

TSA to Take Away 'Privilege' of TSA PreCheck From Unruly Passengers

Well no shit, it's about time. I was wondering if they were just going to make obnoxious dickheadery a consequence-free thing forever.

Quote:
Unruly passengers on planes could lose access to TSA PreCheck in the Transportation Security Administration's latest tactic to fight back against an uptick in disruptive incidents in the skies.

Announced Tuesday, the agency will rescind membership for anyone who is fined by the Federal Aviation Administration for bad behavior. The agency called the TSA PreCheck service "a privilege reserved for low-risk travelers."
You'd think.

Quote:
"TSA has zero tolerance for the unruly behaviors, especially those involving physical assault occurring aboard aircraft. We have tremendous respect for airport staff, gate agents, and flight crews that get people safely to their destinations," TSA Administrator David Pekoske said in a statement. "This partnership with FAA will help ensure the safety and security of all passengers and hold those who violate federal regulations accountable for their actions."
Punching flight attendants, shitting on beverage carts, trying to access the cabin/cockpit or open the door at 34,000 feet, etc. aren't normal, acceptable things. Period. Those doing this sort of stuff should lose the right to ever set foot on an airplane again.

Why did this take so long? But it doesn't go far enough, IMO.

When people don't face swift and certain consequences - real consequences, not wrist-slaps - for their actions, behavior and general jerkwittery (and no, not just air travel), it sends every wrong message in the world, including to any other jerkwits waiting on deck for their turn to act the role.

I realize everything is different and stressful, but I've never read/heard so many "disruptive, violent and unhinged morons on airplanes" stories as I have this past 12-18 months. I know people are stressed and on-edge, but everything can't - and must not - be Because COVID™. That's not sustainable, or realistic.

It may be a reason, but it's certainly not an excuse. There is a difference.

And I still think they need to revisit the whole "alcohol on airplanes" thing. With practically everyone in the solar system on some form of prescription medication these days (none of which, to my knowledge, play well with alcohol) - and so many, given the opportunity, unwilling to refrain from adding booze to the mix - I think a lot of these incidents never come to be if people aren't suffering from reactions to their medication mixed with alcohol. Because when the dust settles and we hear the follow up story a day or two later, alcohol - combined with medication or not - is almost always in the mix in these incidents. It's no mysterious coincidence. Plenty of people at ground level can't hold their liquor and act like a normal human when drinking. WTF do you think they're going to do at 35,000 feet, enclosed in a tube with a captive audience of hundreds and reacting with their depression/anxiety/allergy/psoriasis/cholesterol/restless leg/IBS/Parkinson's/macular degeneration/hepatitis meds?!

Every single one of those "ask your doctor about..." commercials says some variation of "don't drink alcohol while on [fill in the blank]", yet...it's obvious a bunch of people don't follow that particular bit of advice. And then they become everyone else's problem.

But start lifetime-banning some of these boneheads from flying and see how quickly everyone else magically straightens up/gets their shit together once they realize their future vacation/travel plans may be drastically monkeyed with ("I gotta take a boat to Europe?! Screw that..."). Sometimes you have to break a few eggs in order to enjoy a bigger, better omelet...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-23 at 11:27.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-23, 11:47

I would agree with that approach provided due process is provided. If they get their day in court and their guilt is proven, then absolutely.

If not, then not.

Innocent until proven guilty.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-23, 12:05

What do you mean? Due process for what? Being disruptive on a plane?

Wouldn't a flight crew, Air Marshal(?) and 100+ witnesses provide all the needed proof someone was running up and down the aisles with their pants down, trying to enter the flight cabin, groping titties not belonging to them, screaming about gay Mexicans invading their thoughts/stealing their mailbox, etc.?

Their "guilt is proven" by acting the way they act, causing flights to divert to a city that was never on the itinerary so they can be yanked off/arrested/carried away, etc.

"You did this, 150+ fellow passengers saw you do it, we've got the arrest records from Salt Lake City* (and all the things you were screaming when officers boarded the plane were caught on body cam). You're banned, chump. Here's a complimentary Greyhound schedule. Good luck...".

But I'm not a legal scholar, so...

*Salt Lake City is my go-to stopover place for removing shitheads from airplanes, only because, for some reason, I've read about 15-20 stories over the years where that seemed to be the place so many planes had to divert to. So now it's just my shorthand for "toss this clown". All flights with unhinged troublemakers wind up diverting to SLC for some reason. It must be on the way to/from everywhere?

"Baltimore to Miami? We're on our way, but first we gotta shoot out to Salt Lake City so we can unload this chronic masturbator who claims to have a hydrogen bomb in his rectum. SLC Sheriff's Department is already waiting at the gate."

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-23 at 12:20.