User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
LoCash
Page 4 of 13 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-05-31, 17:43

Oh man. This really sucks. I spent the weekend camping out away from computers, and this is the news that gets me back to reality?

Damn.
Just... DAMN.

R.I.P. Jack.... RIP up that afterlife, buddy, they are in for a hell of a party.
qroo

Send a message via AIM to qroo  
2005-05-31, 17:50

so this is a bit strange writing this here. i'm an ex-girlfriend of jack's, and i just found out today from a mutual friend. i haven't talked to jack in ages, and i'm just sort of in shock now. though i hadn't originally planned to, after reading fellowship's post, i thought i should say something as well. it seems only appropriate. i met jack at macworld in san francisco, and these forums (well, AI really) are always part of my memories of our years together.

sitting here thinking, i see bits of jack still in my life-- the bike he helped me pick out, the photograph he took of me for a school project, and the small penguin figure he gave me one thanksgiving. we may not have parted ways amicably, but i still fondly look back on all the good times we had together-- at macworld, in our tiny boston apartments, with our wonderful cats. sigh, i don't know what else to say, i hope that these wonderful sentiments from all of you are reaching jack somewhere. i know he touched so many lives, including mine.

-qr
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-05-31, 17:53

are thoughts are with you as well roo

g
Fellowship

Send a message via AIM to Fellowship  
2005-05-31, 17:59

Life is all about relationships and people. LoCash has been a part of our lives in many different ways and I just want to say once again what a high level of respect I have for him. He always had a way to resolve differences in a context of humor and grace which is not often seen by all in the world. I admire how he handled conflict after the heat of the moment, his gracefullness was abundant.

Fellowship

You will be missed Jack
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-05-31, 18:03

As luck would have it, I happened to have Jack's ex-boss' phone number. I called to let her know.

Of course the reason I have it is that Jack sent it to me, trying to get me to call her to pull a prank... RIP you beautiful bastard. I'm sure you and Hunter S. will throw a hell of a party.
Amorph

2005-05-31, 18:30

Only 24... damn. I just found this out, and it's still sinking in. I can't say that I knew him well, but it's hard to understand such a bold presence just... not being there anymore.

My condolences to his family and friends. I'll raise a glass to the scoundrel myself this evening.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-05-31, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
I'd be interested in splitting driving/gas/etc with anyone from the Triangle headed down for the memorial, provided I can swing my schedule.
Kickaha,

While many of our more distant members can't attend in person, it would be kind if you'd be our proxy.

Perhaps you can convey official AppleNova condolences from across the planet to his family.

I'm sure his folks would be touched to realize Jack helped make a positive impression on <checks member count> more than 4,600 people. If not one on every continent, then surely one in every time zone... the Sun never sets on Jack's domain.

I'm tempted to suggest leaving AN coasters, or Apple stickers, or a puck mouse or similar offerings...
but I'm not sure if it will be that kind of memorial. Wish we could ask him.
If it is, leave a mini bottle of Scotch from PDT time zone on my behalf.

I'll raise a glass of 1981 GlenGoyne to the Deacon of Marmots myself tonight.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2005-05-31 at 18:55.
autodata
hustlin

2005-05-31, 18:51

I didn't know him well. Just a few chats here and on AIM. However, it's clear that he was an honest and open guy who valued integrity. After all, we all are able to talk about him here thanks to his hard work giving everyone a better place to hang out online. He has helped bring everyone together and fostered a community. It shows how many lives he touched in a positive way...
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-05-31, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship
He always had a way to resolve differences in a context of humor and grace which is not often seen by all in the world. I admire how he handled conflict after the heat of the moment, his gracefullness was abundant.
You're absolutely right Fellowship.

Waking up the next day and I still can't believe it. I feel numb to what is going on around me ... it feels surreal.

I did not even know what this guy looked like or *really* how he lived. All I know is the contact I had with him over the years ... M3DJack (and did he go by turborodent for a brief period too?) over at AI as well. He never appeared to me to raise his voice in anger. Always kept his eye on the ball, and handled conflict and awkward situations, as Fellowship said, with grace. And, I would add, logic and humor as well.

I'd like to see a memorial of some sort on the front page of this web site too - it is a good idea.

Mods, when you are ready - please let us know what we can do to honor his memory.

24 ... too young, too soon.
May his soul rest in peace.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-05-31, 19:08

Also, I'm not even sure if this is correct - but I always thought to myself that the copy for the AppleNova merchandise was Jack's work.

The clock and posters descriptions still bring a smile to my face. They just seem like his words. check for yourself

All I want is a simple life
twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-05-31, 19:32

I'm pretty sure that's all him...

He's who contacted me for the silhouette art and all, and we had a few funny PMs back and forth about it all.

This has kinda stuck in my head all damn day, you know? I didn't know him super well and we weren't exactly cut from the same cloth, but he was always very cool and friendly with me. He answered some technical questions on a few occasions, passed along a cool little insider nugget (that allowed me to make a smarter purchase and save quite a bit of money) and liked my silly Aldo Nova silhouette enough to actually do something with it, which I thought was funny as could be.

"Man, I was just goofing around..."

"Yeah, but it's cool as hell! Can you send me the Illustrator file because I want to put it on coasters and stuff!"

Maybe it's the age thing? Maybe it's just the fact that you come somewhere on a daily basis, and some people just become fixtures and old, reliable pieces to the mix...and then, out of the blue, they're gone?

For someone I didn't know all that well, this has eaten at me for a good 10 or so hours now.

It drives a few things home, no doubt.

thegelding totally had the right idea...hug those kids a little extra tonight, g.

You don't realize the space some people occupy or that you just take for granted "oh yeah, he's around...I'll ask him". Until you can't.

Then you feel a bit robbed and want to offer up a heartfelt "hey, WTF?!? This isn't quite fair...".

And to be HIM, of all people. If there was a figurehead or central character here, I've never thought of it as anyone else other than Jack. I felt like, ultimately, if I ever got HIS ear on something - a suggestion, idea, etc. - it had a good shot of getting implemented.

We had a few good-natured sparring rounds over "lifestyle" issues, and one of the things I said to him several months back was "man, be careful. You're not invincible!" after one of his particularly spirited "this is what I've got planned for next weekend!" posts, and he went on to assure me it was all cool and under control, and I never thought another thing of it.

He always called me an "old man", especially if I was on a good "people piss me off with their loud music and rude public behavior!" rant.

"This is what it's like to get old, folks...".

Just a weird, downer day, all this.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-05-31, 19:45

Shit, surreal is right...

I haven't cried for 4 months (since my girlfriend and I broke up)...

Until tonight. Seriously. I've never talked to Jack personally, but he's brightened my time here ever since I joined last January (a few days before I switched). I was reading his profile; I just hope that his demise wasn't attributed to some of the stuff he put down for "interests"...

Why did it have to be shortly after AN turns 1, and shortly before WWDC and when Holbox leaves? Holbox, I hope this doesn't ruin your vacation. His turborodent site pic always made me smile, having 2 guinea pigs myself.

Jack, wherever you are, I await the day I join thee. I'll always remember you as the Turbo Rodent.

This Mac's for you, Jack!

Edit: How about replacing a Speed Hole (the middle one please!) with a picture of Jack in a grayish-sepia tone?

You ask me for a hamburger.

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2005-05-31 at 20:24.
rageous

Send a message via AIM to rageous Send a message via MSN to rageous  
2005-05-31, 20:22

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-05-31, 20:25

Mods/Admins/Ghosts

Nice touch rewriting Jack's member title in memoriam. <removes hat, wipes tear>
Not sure if you want to add a similar autoresponse to his PMs or update biography/interests/etc.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-05-31, 20:44

I suggest an AppleNova day of posting silence in remembrance.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-05-31, 20:50

You know, I haven't met anybody on AN in real life... ever. How about an AppleNova first anniversary real-world reunion in Jack's honor, in some geographically-central location... perhaps rent a conference room somewhere in Central US?

You ask me for a hamburger.
schalliol

Send a message via AIM to schalliol  
2005-05-31, 20:55

I've known Jack for about 7 years and met him twice in person. He's a good guy and I'll miss him. I haven't been on these forums before, but I did help Jack make design choices for it.

I've been talking with some other people and would be happy to organize flowers or something else. I really would like to see if his "Internet friends" could organize something for him in the way of flowers or donations towards his family (flowers unless you prefer otherwise). I would also like it if what we did was the most prominant since only a few I know are able to travel to Atlanta on such short notice. Jack really had a lot of friends online as referenced here and I think those at the service should know he's loved. I'd like to have our individual names of contributors on the note to show the magnitude of those people.

Feel free to IM JSchalliol on AIM or email:ripjack[at]schalliol[dot]com. I don't have to be the organizer, but I would be happy to do so.

Jack, rest in peace. I know you sold your HDTV, and I'm sure you're using a 200 incher right now!

Last edited by schalliol : 2005-05-31 at 21:04.
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2005-05-31, 21:41

Vale Jack.

Despite our past differences, I had a lot of time for you. When I saw this thread last night, I hoped it would turn out to be an elaborate joke. But I knew it wasn't. I gather from something Paul said that Jack had a sister who died and I vaguely recall this being mentioned in the past. The loss of one child is gut wrenching. To lose two is simply too awful to even contemplete. My heart goes out to Jack's parents.

Perhaps something the living can get from this, is a little perspective. That the bitterness of last year was because people cared, because they valued what they had so highly. It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking you've lost something irreplaceable until you really do lose something irreplaceable. Passion may result in angry words but what it signifies is far preferable to indifference.

Yeah, passion, that's the word.

Without passion, what you've got is just an internet forum, anonymous names that live only in cyberspace. Add passion, and you get something that straddles the real and cyberspace worlds. The downside, as we're now being painfully reminded, is that reality bites. That's why many, myself included, are having so much trouble getting their heads around this.

Jack had passion in spades. His loss reminds me not to take things for granted.

In spite of whatever words have been exchanged in the past or might be exchanged in the future, I value all the passionate people who have made AI and AN not just internet forums to me but something unique and precious. Words are cheap. Passion is priceless.

I note there's no word from Brad who, as cofounder of AN, I imagine has probably been hit for six by this news. I'm sure somebody's already thought to contact him and is looking out for him. I don't know what to say to Brad except I'm sorry and hang in there. Putting my thoughts into words is proving diffficult at the moment.

Take care all.

Please.
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2005-05-31, 21:46

I always had him put in that "crazy bastard" part of my mind but his humor and his odd mannerisms always provided constant fodder for my brain to chew over. I have no doubt that he lived life to it's fullest.

LoCash, good-luck and godspeed...

"It's a good thing there's no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-05-31, 21:57

Fellow RTPers, I'd love to make a trip down to Atlanta but I've got my national licensure exam next week. Sometimes I hate life. It causes all this suffering then gets in the way when you want to mourn.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Trumpetman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

Send a message via AIM to Trumpetman  
2005-05-31, 21:58

Rest in Peace Jack.

Nick
Fellowship

Send a message via AIM to Fellowship  
2005-05-31, 22:27

I think one thing that might be nice for us as forum friends of LoCash is to get someone to create an E card on Hallmark.com and sign it for all of us at apple nova and possibly apple insider as well and express our sorrow for the family. Send to his father's email address. LoCash touched our lives via the world wide web and maybe we all collectively could send a gesture of our love to his family via the web in some capacity as well... Just a thought.

Fellowship

Here is a Hallmark link: Hallmark

You will be missed Jack
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-05-31, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
I suggest an AppleNova day of posting silence in remembrance.
I like that idea 'nut ... maybe shut down the forums annually on May 28 ... his anniversary.

[EDIT: just for the day]

Last edited by Mac+ : 2005-05-31 at 22:56.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-05-31, 22:38

I don't think LoCash would want that at all... I got the impression he was very much a realist and he would rather AppleNova carried on as usual.

We should certainly remember him, and I like pscates idea of a dedication of some sort to him on the forum header...

Does anyone know what actually happened to LoCash? I don't mean to be morbid, but it would be nice to be able to have some perspective on this...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-05-31, 22:52

I just found out.

If anyone decides to come down to Atlanta let me know, I work a couple of miles north of Spring Hill and might be able to get away from work to attend the memorial. Not sure if I could do it by myself.

Jack and I shared the same city but we never knowingly crossed paths, although we had several opportunities at one of our AppleNovaCons. Last year Jack wanted me to scan and post the Hooter's manual that I obtained at last year's DragonCon and I almost emailed him about it two weeks ago when I found it under a stack of papers. Like Paul, I didn't play as hard as Jack, but I *always* appreciated his posts, his help and his humor.

I'm going to be very angry about this if this was intentional.
24 is too young. Man are we going to miss that kid.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-05-31, 23:11

If someone knows how it happened, it'd be good for us to know, as long as his family doesn't have any objections. From the obit in the paper, it seems they didn't provide any details. That has me worried.

Whatever it was, I hope he went happy.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
FallenFromTheTree

2005-05-31, 23:18

Hearing of this sad news, it's difficult to understand how someone
who contributed so much to other peoples lives, could be taken away
at such an early age.

As we see from these posts, his life had worth and he leaves behind
a legacy of friendship.

God be with you Jack Frost IV
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2005-05-31, 23:22

I don't really have much more to add but this. e-Eloquence may not be my forte so I will leave it to my hero, Cicero.

Quote:
My sad musings were not interrupted by the business of my friends, nor by the management of public affairs: there was nothing I cared to do in the forum: I could not bear the sight of the senate-house; I thought—as was the fact—that I had lost all the fruits both of my industry and of fortune. But while I thought that I shared these losses with you and certain others, and while I was conquering my feelings and forcing myself to bear them with patience I had a refuge, one bosom where I could find repose, one in whose conversation and sweetness I could lay aside all anxieties and sorrows. But now, after such a crushing blow as this, the wounds which seemed to have healed break out afresh.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-05-31, 23:24

Thought you guys might appreciate these chat logs from last week.

Quote:
jack (3:35:59 AM): then yesterday a fucking Morotola V3 RAZR is on my porcg
jack (3:36:08 AM): porch
jack (3:36:15 AM): This phone was SUCH a good idea
jack (3:36:22 AM): I went to the pub in scrubs tonight
jack (3:36:24 AM): I whip it out
jack (3:36:27 AM): women FLOCKED to me
jack (3:36:36 AM): "ohhhh I love that phone. Are you a doctor?"
jack (3:36:44 AM): I said yes
jack (3:36:47 AM): second year resident
jack (3:36:49 AM):
jack (3:36:56 AM): Also showed them my car
jack (3:37:00 AM): got a few numbers
jack (3:37:01 AM): it rocked
Alcimedesthe1st (3:37:25 AM): lol
Alcimedesthe1st (3:37:27 AM): smooth
jack (3:37:30 AM): hell yeah
jack (3:37:38 AM): I'm lying to this women through my teeth while two friends are by me
jack (3:37:41 AM): They didn't say shit
jack (3:37:43 AM): it was great
jack (3:37:58 AM): I was gonna go home with one, but I gotta do this report tonight
jack (3:38:01 AM): and i got her number anyway
jack (3:38:42 AM): can't believe it's been a year
jack (3:38:49 AM): We rule

jack (9:31:14 AM): We should buy an Apple Nova Fish Scale at the GA Aquarium
jack (9:31:28 AM): http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/acb/s...les-P10C1.aspx
AIM (9:33:05 AM): jack has changed status to Available: Luniz - I Got Five On It (Aphrodite's Origin
jack (9:33:26 AM): if I had $55 I'd do it
jack (9:34:05 AM): You know, one of the things I wanted to leverage in the community we have at AN was to give back to the community as a community.
Alcimedesthe1st (9:34:15 AM): uh huh
jack (9:34:18 AM): I'm still not sure as to how to go about doing that.
Alcimedesthe1st (9:34:18 AM): that's not likely
Alcimedesthe1st (9:34:25 AM): as we're broke
jack (9:34:39 AM): Doesn't have to be with money.
jack (9:34:49 AM): the folding@home shit for instance
jack (9:34:55 AM): and besides, not all of our members are broke
Alcimedesthe1st (9:35:11 AM): true
jack (9:35:54 AM): If we stood up and took a stance on something, and told our members, and this is just a fictitious example, "We want to support breast cancer research. We have a goal was want to reach of five hundred dollars. Let's donate in the name oif this community and do some good"
jack (9:35:59 AM): I bet we could reach that goal
jack (9:36:22 AM): *shrugs* I like the concept of giving back
Jack was very excited about AN and where the site might be going, as well as enjoying life to the fullest.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
schalliol

Send a message via AIM to schalliol  
2005-05-31, 23:29

[CENTER][/CENTER]
I'm starting a PayPal donation plan. I tried to get the donation button to work, but it just won't here. EDIT, see this post for the plan. Remember that we need to get this in ASAP to get it in time for the service tomorrow, so please give what you can.

Let's make the online frienship and those who cannot go who knew him more face-to-face the biggest presence at the service/to his family

Jack, rest in peace. I know you sold your HDTV, and I'm sure you're using a 200 incher right now!

Last edited by schalliol : 2005-06-01 at 00:00.