Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
LoCash
Page 5 of 13 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-05-31, 23:37

schalliol, not that I doubt that you are who you say you are, but I think many of our members would feel better if alc, Brad or murbot set something up. Thanks for the gesture and I'm willing to donate if we decide that it will be how we do something...

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-31, 23:38

I just found about this a while ago and am still at a loss for words.

As for the donations page, we're working on it right now... just a bit longer. Thanks.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-05-31, 23:38

Sorry it took so long, we're going to have something set up offically within the hour though for PayPal donations. I'd like to send something for the service tomorrow, as well as something for his parents.

Along those lines, if any of you who live in Atlanta can PM me with the name/number of a good local florist, please let me know. I think that's the only way they're going to make it to the service on time.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
pmazer

Send a message via AIM to pmazer  
2005-05-31, 23:42

I didn't really know LoCash, being new and all, but it sounds like an AN charity drive in his name would be what he wanted rather than some arbitrary cash.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-05-31, 23:44

If you click the number of replies linked for this thread on the forum page or VTP page,
you'll get a list of members posting, which might serve as a partial signature list. Ditto on AI.

Currently 26 on AI, 64 here, with some duplicates.

edit:

Love the Masthead/Speed Hole update!

(but the linked calendar event is the festive 15th ANovarsary™, not the expected memorial)

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2005-05-31 at 23:50.
schalliol

Send a message via AIM to schalliol  
2005-05-31, 23:48

Sure, that's fine, I'll change my post when anything goes online from the Mods. I do recommend strongly that the donation be in everyone's individual names, though A.N. could certainly be noted.

Jack, rest in peace. I know you sold your HDTV, and I'm sure you're using a 200 incher right now!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-05-31, 23:50

Depending on what people donate, I'm thinking a floral arragement for tomorrow, a fish in the AN name dedicated to Jack (seeing as he said he wanted to do that if he had the money just a week ago) and then something to send to his parents. If that works for people we'll go from there. Any extra money can be donated to a charity in his name. Jack was a big fan of giving back to people.

Those that want to donate can send them to my PayPal account.

edit: There's an official tribute page now with the correct PayPal information.

http://forums.applenova.com/tribute.html

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
schalliol

2005-05-31, 23:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
if any of you who live in Atlanta can PM me with the name/number of a good local florist, please let me know. I think that's the only way they're going to make it to the service on time.
FTD can arrange this same day in most cases. Just go to the site and look for the little clock next to items.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-06-01, 00:28

I keep re-writing this first line because I don't know how to convey it.

[....]

First a moment of "wha?!" when you read the announcement, then shock, then theempty numbness spreads out from your gut until you're just staring at things like an idiot. I haven't felt this weight in almost a decade. So close to forgetting. Why is it in life we can't remember things we'd like to remember and we can't forget the things we want to forget?

Pain would almost be better than this, except of all the kinds of pain in the world there is only one that can accompany this event, and I don't want it. I really feel for those closest to Jack right now. [While I had some direct contact with him via email and chat, I missed out on the real deal...]

A blessing and a curse I guess. When you don't know someone well enough to outwardly grieve, it means you didn't really get to know the essence of that person. You got a good glimpse but really you missed out. Which is worse? Not having real memories of being with a person (even just for a beer or coffee), or feeling a pain for which there is no remedy but time?

Jack's sense of humor, his sarcasm, his way of seeing certain things -those were all things I think I had a pretty good sense for- but I never got to know the whole story and so this is what I'm left with. What many of us are left with I suspect. Vaguely relieved I'm not in tears, but genuinely sad because that means I missed something important.

I'll never get to have a beer with Jack and have those few laughs. Had I taken more initiative, who knows... we might've done just that. And though until today it would've been just a fun memory, after today it would've been a gift.

It's true for all of us who have friends here. Sounds stupid but those who've had the chance to meet and share a few laughs and good memories -- that's a gift. It's the only answer I've ever been able to come up with. There's no master plan, no fate necessarily. No jigsaw puzzle I don't think. It's just as simple as this:

There are a hundred different (useful) paths we all might take in life, but in the end all that really matters is how many of these gifts we collect and give to others in the process. Everything else is rubbish. I'll be damned if all my years of contemplating life and trying to understand "the big questions", has gotten me any closer to "the meaning of life" than that. Gifts.

Had it been one of us and not Jack, I can't help but feel [...] that he might've asked what the larger purpose of it all is. What is it we're supposed to get from an untimely death of a decent human being, that will enable us to do whatever we're supposed to do? We all know our days are numbered to one degree or another, so that can't be it can it? If we're supposed to do anything at all. I guess the previous paragraph is my answer. Recognize the gifts for what they are and be cognizant of the opportunities to share them. What else can we do?

If anyone has photographs of Jack, pm me. I'd like to do a Photoshop montage in his honor. Can't write anymore now. My brain is scrambled.

RIP, Jack. You had a bigger affect on people than you knew, I suspect....

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2005-06-01 at 00:42. Reason: Chopped out some fat
RaSol

2005-06-01, 00:46

Im an old friend of Jack's, and was told to come here, said he did a lot of posting here. Jack was a good friend of mine, we've known eachother and worked together for the past 10 years via the internet. He was a good fucking man, and regardless of the miles between us i loved him dearly.

His online friends are organizing a letter to be signed by all and sent to his family. If you would like details on being a part of this, please email dlimberi AT yahoo DOT com.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-01, 00:54

I'm sorry for the delay in posting this. It's incredibly difficult finding the right words to say about Jack. Here's the "official" tribute page with a PayPal link. As alcimedes said, we'll probably set up donations to a charity in his name after the ceremony tomorrow.

http://forums.applenova.com/tribute.html

I've known Jack for about four years. I never met him in person and I regret not taking him up on the offer to fly to MWSF a couple years ago. He'd become a true friend over chats and e-mails and posts online. I was even hoping he'd come to my wedding some time next year.

Just about everything that can be said has been said by everyone else here. I'm really going to miss Jack. I cried today for him. He was a great guy and truly irreplaceable. We love you, man.

I'm sure he's up in heaven or nirvana or valhalla right now, driving his finely tuned instrument of sex, surrounded by gorgeous women, and smiling down on us all.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2005-06-01, 01:06

Alcimedes, that link doesn't seem to work.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-01, 01:07

alc didn't post a live link. He posted an image of his e-mail address so bots/web crawlers wouldn't pick it up for spam. That's the address being used for the PayPal account.

Use my link for direct access.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-06-01, 01:10

I've removed the image from my post to avoid confusion and pointed people to the correct page/link. Sorry about that chester.
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2005-06-01, 01:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
I've removed the image from my post to avoid confusion and pointed people to the correct page/link. Sorry about that chester.
No I'm an idiot.

The tribute's lovely BTW, guys. Well done.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-06-01, 02:04

Agreed. Great job getting that posted so quickly.

The letter from the group is also a nice idea, but I encourage everyone who is of a mind to, to also write Mr. Frost / the Frost Family if you can. I speak from experience when I say those kinds of letters can really help the healing process early on.

To know that this person you cared about so much, had an effect on all these other people you've never met. It's a comforting thing. Sometimes all you have to look forward to is the trip to the mailbox, knowing there might be one more letter there to comfort you a bit....

...into the light of a dark black night.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-06-01, 03:32

Four Guinnesses later...So much for it being a bad dream.

Cheers, Jack.

Last edited by johnq : 2005-06-01 at 03:46.
Power Apple

2005-06-01, 04:12

This is shocking news. My condolences to his family and may Jack Frost rest in peace.
schalliol

2005-06-01, 08:03

Thanks for setting the link up, I've given a donation, and I hope others do as well.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-06-01, 08:59

I'm a little shocked by how much this is affecting me. Last night it just kept creeping back into my head. I'm a fairly cold and uncaring person, so that this has hit me like this is really odd. Says a lot about what kind of person we all thought LoCash was.

This is just awfully shitty.

Jack always made me feel very welcome here, this place really will never be the same.

On a side note, are people putting their username or real name on the donation thingy, or does it not really make a lick of difference which you put down.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-06-01, 09:01

What's his profile pic from?
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-06-01, 09:01

I put "Gargoyle (Paul, UK)"
schalliol

2005-06-01, 09:03

I'm not sure what other people are doing on the donation, but I'd recommend your real name, and if he knew you by your handle, include that as well. I just included my name.

Jack, rest in peace. I know you sold your HDTV, and I'm sure you're using a 200 incher right now!
¡Damned!

2005-06-01, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
On a side note, are people putting their username or real name on the donation thingy, or does it not really make a lick of difference which you put down.
I put my user name, and then first name in parentheses. Not that it probably makes a difference, but it made me feel better. If these's some sort of 'official' card or whatnot going to his parents I'd be happy to include my full name and location.

So it goes.
qroo

Send a message via AIM to qroo  
2005-06-01, 09:05

i wanted to thank you guys for putting up a paypal donation site for jack. it feels so strange entering in a donation amount. how can one attach a price to the memory of a guy who was such a large part of one's life? every amount i type in just seems wrong. but i guess it will have to do. he called me his angel in the past. i wish i could have been one when it counted.

-qr
¡Damned!

2005-06-01, 09:08

'Tis funny (or maybe not), but you're one of the first people I thought about when I saw this, roo. Glad to see you again. I'm sorry it had to be under these circumstances.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-01, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnq
What's his profile pic from?
It's some hockey dude that Murray (I think) put there many months ago when all of us admins became a team of beat-up players.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-06-01, 09:37

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Good to see a real pic up in the header.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-01, 09:43

Yeah, the header pic is from a late night of iChat AV-ing about a two years ago where Jack was professing his unrequited love for Jamie (Jambo, the AI moderator).

utterer

2005-06-01, 09:51

I have known Jack for well over 7 years. It started with playing NetMech over Hotline. Back then he was just corner. From the games played we formed a friendship along with a group of other users. We all moved on our separate ways in the real world but still remained connected through chatting online.

During the summer of 1998 I think it was, Jack and I started our own website, Mac3d.com. We played games, so why not write about them. Well at least that is what we told everybody because secretly Jack and I just competed to see who could get more free tshirts at the different expos we traveled to. The site gave me access to do things I never thought possible, I exhibited at a few Macworlds, played games before the common people could and travel all over and tell people that I am there for a computer show without feeling like a total dork.

Without Jack this would not have been possible, he possessed the HTML wizardry (yes this was when we just used HTML and CGI still) to make the site not only appealing to the eyes but add features people hadn't even thought of at the time (having site feeds that only Mac IE would support long before RSS comes to mind).

Sure we parted ways from the website, but it was amicable and we chatted online occasionally as well. The real life memories remain still from the trips to the above mentioned conventions, the late night trips to Kinkos in San Francisco to have our business cards made up, setting up our "booths" at the Macworld Expos in NY and San Francisco to cover the Mac Gaming Championships events (anyone else remember those?), the time him and another online acquaintance visited me at school and we had to spend most of the time telling people how we know each other over the internet but it isn't some type of weirdo love triangle at a lame frat party, the list goes on and on..

Jack I regret not being able to chat online with you more often. I am glad that we were able to remain friends through so many years. You were one of the few people that I knew online that I was also able to meet in real life without worrying for my own safety

Rest in Peace.
-frank
thefrank@gmail.com