AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Where to find high resolution Apple logos

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Where to find high resolution Apple logos
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-03-30, 10:30

Does anyone know where I can download some good high-resolution Apple logos? When I google, I can find a bunch in the 150 - 200 pixel range, but I was hoping for something along the 600-800 range.

This .png file on wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Apple-logo.png )is the closest I can find - I can scale it with only a moderate decrease in quality, but then I have that checkerboard background that I don't know how to get rid of (I'm a bit graphically challenged).
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-03-30, 10:44

Brad might be able to hook you up

As for the graphically challenged part, there are many here who might gladly point you to tutorials or provide simple tips in removing background transparency, depending on which tools you're using to do the job.
tannenhauser

2006-03-30, 11:05

www.brandsoftheworld.com has a bunch of logos in eps format :-)
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-03-30, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb

As for the graphically challenged part, there are many here who might gladly point you to tutorials or provide simple tips in removing background transparency, depending on which tools you're using to do the job.
I have Photoshop 5.5, but I really don't know how to use it. Mostly, I use it to auto-image correct and resize digital photos.

The end goal is to have a nice, sharp 600x600 or 800x800 Apple logo to use as a desktop wallpaper image.
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-03-30, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannenhauser
www.brandsoftheworld.com has a bunch of logos in eps format :-)
Thanks. I checked it out, but again, all I can find are 200 pixel range images.
tannenhauser

2006-03-30, 11:43

download them as eps... and then scale them to whatever size... they are in vector format so the pixels dont matter here. if you do not have adobe illustrator, download a free trial at adobe.com

open the eps file with illustrator, scale it to the size you need it and export it out as a jpeg or whatever format youre comfortable with.
¡Damned!

2006-03-30, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb

The Apple Logo Brad so graciously provided is in .png format, so it already has a transparent background. All s/he would need to do is create a background colour and canvas size to his/her liking, flatten it and save it out as a jpeg. Easy shmeazy.

So it goes.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-03-30, 11:57

Try Apple (not for commercial use though)
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-03-30, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
The Apple Logo Brad so graciously provided is in .png format, so it already has a transparent background. All s/he would need to do is create a background colour and canvas size to his/her liking, flatten it and save it out as a jpeg. Easy shmeazy.

OK, that seems to have worked, except that from Adobe Photoshop, I can't seem to export as a jpeg. I was able to do a gif though, and that will work just fine.

Thanks
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2006-03-30, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy
OK, that seems to have worked, except that from Adobe Photoshop, I can't seem to export as a jpeg. I was able to do a gif though, and that will work just fine.

Thanks
If you can't save as JPEG but can save as GIF, then your colour depth is too low (ie: you're in 8-bit rather than 24-bit)...

In PS 5.5, go to the Image menu > Mode > RGB colour (rather than Index colour)

Now you can save a JPEG (plus you have more than 256 shades for smoother gradients)
GWARREN

2006-03-30, 14:32

If you want to make a desktop, make your own logo. Just type Apple-Shift-K in most fonts a you get an Apple logo as big as you like. Just emboss and play around to your heart's content - would be a good way to learn how to use photoshop.

PixelMix - an (almost) daily photoblog for Scotland.
BlockSoft - donationware for OSX.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-30, 15:09

Yup. I was about to suggest that. Nothing to install; nothing to download!

screensaver400
Veteran Member

2006-03-30, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWARREN
Just type Apple-Shift-K in most fonts a you get an Apple logo as big as you like.
My PowerBook may be a bit screwy, but Apple-Shift-K doesn't do anything. Alt-Shift-K does work for me, though.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-30, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400
My PowerBook may be a bit screwy, but Apple-Shift-K doesn't do anything. Alt-Shift-K does work for me, though.
You're right. He was wrong.

option-shift-k is what you use to get the Apple character, just as you can use the option key to get various other special characters.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-03-30, 16:08

alt shift k works for me.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-30, 16:30

Sheesh. You Windows people and your "alt" key.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-03-30, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Sheesh. You Windows people and your "alt" key.
That's one of my peeves. It's referred to as 'option' in many places, but has 'alt' written on the key. The first time I found a shortcut that specified 'option' I was lost for a while. It certainly doesn't help switchers. It should be referred to as alt, or have option written on the bloody key! It's the case for my keyboard anyway, I don't know if all apple keyboards are like that.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-30, 16:51

Huh? Every Apple keyboard I can recall using has had the word "option" plastered right there on it with "alt" above it in smaller text as the secondary name.
GWARREN

2006-03-30, 16:52

Ye ye, you know what I meant. 
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-03-30, 16:55

Quote:
Huh? Every Apple keyboard I can recall using has had the word "option" plastered right there on it with "alt" above it in smaller text as the secondary name.
My 12" PB doesn't, it only says "alt", and has the option symbol (that looks like a switch that can select between two paths: ⌥) beneath it. That may be a European thing, though, since furball is from the UK, and my PB was bought in Austria.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-03-30, 17:10

My 12" PowerBook (purchased in the US) has "Option" and "alt" on the key, same with my Macally Ice Key external keyboard.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-03-30, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
My 12" PB doesn't, it only says "alt", and has the option symbol (that looks like a switch that can select between two paths: ⌥) beneath it. That may be a European thing, though, since furball is from the UK, and my PB was bought in Austria.
That's it exactly
<fuzzy mobile phone pic>

</fuzzy mobile phone pic>

I don't see why the word option isn't on it. It can't be a language thing, since it's specifically a British keyboard, and the words 'help' and 'delete' are in English.
halo1982

2006-03-30, 17:23

This is my US English keyboard..
<fuzzy mobile phone pic>

</fuzzy mobile phone pic for $600 you'd think palm would put a better camera in>

MacBook Pro 15"/2.2GHz C2D/120GB/2GB
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-03-30, 17:28

It's the same problem as with the weird key (picture no longer online, it looks like this: ⌅). Why can't they do that consistently everywhere? Apple is clearly losing its edge ...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-03-30, 17:49

Here's some real fun, I use a Logitech Keyboard and mouse on my Mini and it isn't even right. For  I have to use Shift - "apple" - "k". "Apple" being the right key.

You want to talk about a confused switcher. Funny though, the keys are perfect for my XP PC.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-30, 17:56

Quote:
As pointed out, European keyboards are a little different in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472
Here's some real fun, I use a Logitech Keyboard and mouse on my Mini and it isn't even right. For  I have to use Shift - "apple" - "k". "Apple" being the right key.
You can swap this, in 10.4 (not earlier) that is, in System Preferences.
omem

2006-03-30, 18:02

here I only have alt on the "option" key too. and to get the logo it's alt+1 
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-03-30, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
You can swap this, in 10.4 (not earlier) that is, in System Preferences.
You sir are a genius!  works with shift - option - k now, on both sides even!
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-03-30, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWARREN
If you want to make a desktop, make your own logo. Just type Apple-Shift-K in most fonts a you get an Apple logo as big as you like. Just emboss and play around to your heart's content - would be a good way to learn how to use photoshop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD
Yup. I was about to suggest that. Nothing to install; nothing to download!

I don't have a Mac

I know, I know... I'm working on that.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-30, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
As pointed out, European keyboards are a little different in that regard.
Stupid foreigners.