Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

WTF is Wrong with Chinese industry?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
WTF is Wrong with Chinese industry?
Page 2 of 9 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
v.noir

2007-06-03, 12:56

This thread should blatantly be 'WTF is right with the Chinese?'.

Just don't get me started. It's like having a country populated entirely with 14-year-olds. Seriously. The ideas of copying other people's stuff (avast ye, pirates), not caring about others (one (spoilt) child policy, anyone?), and not considering their actions (the party will protect us!) are all deeply rooted in the way people are brought up. I wish I could change it. Hell, I wish anyone could, but I don't think it's gonna happen soon. Chinese people just come off as being immature, and all that goes with that. I'm sure Luca's noticed too. I was surprised when I found out that there's actually a word for hygiene in Chinese. I think they made it up so they can say it to foreign countries to give a good impression.

Just what is wrong with them? Hard to list them all. Also, I like the similar threads for this thread. WTF is wrong with people? WTF is WRONG with people?! WTF is wrong with the finder!

...and all the wolves were found upside-down in a box!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-06-03, 13:05

One question:

Is this a consequence of Western influence/interference back in 1900s and the following events or has it always been like that?

In my history class, we were told that China was much more advanced than Europe in social terms during medieval times, and was so wealthy they gave tax breaks to everyone every and then, and had excellent administrative system while Europeans suffered under feudal system. However, my teacher didn't really discuss about hygiene, though I am having a bit of difficulty envisioning an advanced society without concept of hygiene...
v.noir

2007-06-03, 13:28

Sure, they (perhaps) used to be the most advanced civilisation around, or so I'm told. They've certainly taken a turn for the worse in recent times though. I can't be sure what has caused the society in China as it is today, but western influence may well have played it's part. It's certainly a lot more interesting to talk to an elderly retiree than a University student. It seems that during the cultural revolution, people forgot how to bring up their kids. Perhaps someone knowledgeable can help on this one - I know surprisingly little about the country I've lived in for years.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-06-03, 13:32

I recently heard that until 150 years ago, China was the world's largest economy. And it's expected to be again in another 25-30.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-06-03, 13:39

What will Chuckaha Norris do about that?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-06-03, 13:44

Do the same thing that worked last time - restart the opium trade.
v.noir

2007-06-03, 13:44

Whenever I get into this kind of conversation, I end up either making myself angry, or making everyone else angry. Meh. I will say, however, that living in China for an extended period of time does tend to make one rather cynical. Oh, and the food's pretty damn good. As long as it doesn't poison you.

Could Norris overcome even the Chinese government?

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-06-03, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
I recently heard that until 150 years ago, China was the world's largest economy. And it's expected to be again in another 25-30.
Ditto.

A bit curious when you think about it; public hygiene is arguably a basic requirement for an advanced society to function.

As for Norris, he doesn't need to overcome the government. The chinese government undercomes the Norris and gets a roundhouse kick in face.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-06-03, 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.noir View Post
It seems that during the cultural revolution, people forgot how to bring up their kids.
Well, that's kind of what happens when the government convinces parents that the State knows better...

In China, that happened at the end of a gun. In the US, it happens with VChips, Jack Thompson, and anything else that ends with "...but think of the children!"

Yeah, I hate NY.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-06-03, 14:32

Quote:
Do the same thing that worked last time - restart the opium trade.
What a bitch move on the British's part. If you can't win a country's trade organizations over, just get half their population addicted to opium. Since you control the opium, you control them.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-06-03, 20:29

Quote:

Just don't get me started. It's like having a country populated entirely with 14-year-olds. Seriously.
Amen.

This is not hard for me to believe, based on the Chinese nationals I've met who lived in the states as ex-patriots, and the way they cut corners on things in business. Seems they succeed not because they work harder or have better ideas, but rather because of the scale on which they're able to produce things and the completely unregulated nature of their industries. It's like they're in a 1800s mindset with 21st century technology, and no QC or environmental regulations. Get some QC; you'll eat better, get fewer parasites and experience less liver damage from anti-freeze. And so will we, assholes.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-06-04, 03:58

Quote:

Just don't get me started. It's like having a country populated entirely with 14-year-olds. Seriously. The ideas of copying other people's stuff (avast ye, pirates), not caring about others (one (spoilt) child policy, anyone?), and not considering their actions (the party will protect us!) are all deeply rooted in the way people are brought up. I wish I could change it. Hell, I wish anyone could, but I don't think it's gonna happen soon. Chinese people just come off as being immature, and all that goes with that. I'm sure Luca's noticed too. I was surprised when I found out that there's actually a word for hygiene in Chinese. I think they made it up so they can say it to foreign countries to give a good impression.

Just what is wrong with them? Hard to list them all. Also, I like the similar threads for this thread. WTF is wrong with people? WTF is WRONG with people?! WTF is wrong with the finder!
My bid would be that having a government that attempts to dictate everything is the main culprit here. If you don't need to think for yourself, you won't.

And just to address this general attitude towards the Chinese: I generally liked the ones I've met, so they're probably not all bad apples.

I also hear a lot anti American blah blah here in Europe, but I know it's mostly nonsense.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-06-04, 04:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
And just to address this general attitude towards the Chinese: I generally liked the ones I've met, so they're probably not all bad apples.
I agree with you. And I think the spirit of this thread (certainly the way I took it) was the same as if I had seen one saying 'WTF is wrong with the Brits', or 'WTF is wrong with the Red Necks'.. and so on..

There is nothing that education and an even playing field won't sort out in most societies. It's getting that that is often the problem.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-06-04, 04:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
I agree with you. And I think the spirit of this thread (certainly the way I took it) was the same as if I had seen one saying 'WTF is wrong with the Brits', or 'WTF is wrong with the Red Necks'.. and so on..

There is nothing that education and an even playing field won't sort out in most societies. It's getting that that is often the problem.
Yes. That's better spirit!

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-06-04, 09:01

For the record I don't suggest the Chinese are irreparably FUBAR... but man, I hope their time-to-civilization will be shorter than the rest of the world's or we're all going to be needing kidney and liver transplants by the time we're 60.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-06-04, 10:04

Well I have to say that there's nothing wrong with most of the Chinese people I've met, but then most of them are more the academic type. They have some unusual traditions but they're very nice people.

I mean, it really applies to most people I've seen. If the people themselves have a fault, it's that they don't get pissed off enough about what their government is doing.

I just thought I should say that because I don't want to come across as a racist. These are just observations I've made from being in the country, but most of the problems in China stem from the awful government. The people are like any population - most of them are really nice, some are jerks, and they have their quirks. There's a bit more of some of the really crude stuff, partly because of the huge population (of which most people are poor and thus act like poor people), and partly because the country isn't as developed as the established first-world nations.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-06-04, 10:27

Come off it dude. We know you're a straight up racist. Stop the hate already.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-06-04, 11:10

There are plenty of people who would read the title of this thread and immediately conclude that you are a really horribly racist person, Moogs.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-06-04, 11:15

Oh come on, you know you're both in the linen closet, cuttin yer sheets.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-06-04, 11:36

and why are we talking about races and prejudices thereof? I thought the thread was about Chinese people's boneheadedness, not race cars?

and where does the linen closet comes in the play?

Seriously, speak English, dammit!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-06-04, 11:42

Yeah, but they're really clean.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-06-04, 12:26

When I was at boarding school, they used to sit in their rooms, and cook this food which tasted, I'm not kidding, awful. When we used to ask them to stop, they just looked at us in a weird way, and kept doing it. So we just started throwing their food away whilst it was cooking. And they didn't bother to learn our language properly, I mean, a few did, but in the main they just kept to themselves. Thats nice, but WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU COMING TO ENGLAND IF YOU ARE GOING TO PRETEND YOU ARE STILL IN HONG KONG???? And they were generally quite clean people.

Also, what is it with their obsession with those cartoons? They are like 18-19 and they watch them religiously...+1 for the "they need to grow up"
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-06-04, 12:32

To get an education which will set them apart back at home...

But I do agree that if you move to another country you should at least try to enjoy some of their customs and culture to some extent, and try to learn the language to an extent relevant to how long you plan to stay there, and what you are doing there..

The cartoons are an Asian thing, but without them we wouldn't have Manga / Gunadam etc. etc. so I can handle that.. Besides some of them are quite arty, and others are shockingly worth taking a look at once in a while, but are NSFW.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
v.noir

2007-06-04, 13:06

Many Chinese people are quite all-right. But try having a meaningful conversation. Good luck.

I'll bring up the immaturity thing again, I really think it's relevant - you can talk to a sub-30's Chinese person about the weather, food, or whether you can use chopsticks or not, but get any more complicated and it all falls over. The impression I get is that many seem to lack imagination, some the capacity for abstract thought at all. I think many people could be very creative, if only they were left to think for themselves and discover things on their own, instead of looking for answers in the work of others. There's a lot of pent-up juju in the average Chinese guy, methinks.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-06-04, 13:32

Quote:
The impression I get is that many seem to lack imagination, some the capacity for abstract thought at all. I think many people could be very creative, if only they were left to think for themselves and discover things on their own, instead of looking for answers in the work of others.
Good call.

Too tired to comment specifically about this topic (and, not sure that I want to) I will admit that, aside from the incessant beeping on the road ... it felt good to be back today.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
chinesebear

2007-06-04, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
WHY ARE YOU COMING TO ENGLAND IF YOU ARE GOING TO PRETEND YOU ARE STILL IN HONG KONG???? And they were generally quite clean people.

Also, what is it with their obsession with those cartoons? They are like 18-19 and they watch them religiously...+1 for the "they need to grow up"
Couldn't you also say the same of Americans? Transformers? The Simpsons? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?
To the first point...Remember back to the time of British Imperialization? Making Hong Kong just like England? Making Qingdao just like Germany? Making...you get the point...pretty sure we could make the same comments about England or the US if we were on the other side...

Quote:
Many Chinese people are quite all-right. But try having a meaningful conversation. Good luck.

I'll bring up the immaturity thing again, I really think it's relevant - you can talk to a sub-30's Chinese person about the weather, food, or whether you can use chopsticks or not, but get any more complicated and it all falls over. The impression I get is that many seem to lack imagination, some the capacity for abstract thought at all. I think many people could be very creative, if only they were left to think for themselves and discover things on their own, instead of looking for answers in the work of others. There's a lot of pent-up juju in the average Chinese guy, methinks.
My own experience is that students have been only allowed to focus on studies and passing tests...so much so that there has been little life experience and little allowance to vary from that path...I would say its not that students could not or don't want to think on their own, but 1, that is not valued, and 2, it is not stressed. There is no time for that...gotta study for the exams. Unfortunately, that is the way that education has been since the time of Confucius...
I also find that Chinese indirectness gets confused with not having an opinion on a topic...some things are just not OK to discuss with a foreigner because it would make their country lose face...or, a foreigner would not truly understand so why waste time discussing it...I've found though, that conversations, in Chinese, with Chinese friends of all ages can be quite interesting...
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-06-06, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6714257.stm I am convinced the Chinese have no concept of hygiene, quality control for ingestible products, or business ethics. \
as my chinese friend said, "asian peple have no ethics"
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-06-06, 17:24

I have a Chinese landlord. He is, by far, the best landlord I've ever had. He's also a really great guy, a cultured gentleman in his mid-thirties, widely read and fascinating to converse with. His business ethics are exemplary and he is as honest and considerate as any person I've ever known. Even if not all the Chinese are like that, which is certainly the case, many of the comments in this thread are bordering on outright racism. chinesebear's comment about the Brits making Hong Kong like England is succinct and to the point. Think about it.

Souflay123, you should really retract your last comment. Prefixing an intolerant comment with "some of my best friends are xxx" is pretty transparent, and so is your version of that hoary old get-out clause. Your comment is also preposterous and patently false, but you're welcome to make a fool of yourself, I suppose.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-06-06, 17:26

"Asian people" includes about 1/3 of the world population. Now *that's* a broad brush.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-06-06, 18:42

Quote:
Oh come on, you know you're both in the linen closet, cuttin yer sheets.

Watch it, Malarchukaha.

Hey Luca, you know and I know that my thread title rules. Everyone knows I might just as easily post a thread tomorrow called "WTF is Wrong with the 'Mericans?" Except I don't because it's so obvious.