User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone's Visual Voicemail...do you experience delays too?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone's Visual Voicemail...do you experience delays too?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-19, 19:28

The one small gripe I have about my otherwise-perfect iPhone is the lag time from when someone leaves me a message and when it appears in Visual Voicemail.

Is this just how it is, due to the servers and protocol used? If it's like this for everyone, I won't mind so much.

Or am I alone on this?

I was on the phone with my friend a little while ago and my Dad called. I kicked it over to voicemail, knowing he'd leave a message. I finished my phone call with my friend a few minutes later and noticed no voicemail notice from Dad. About 11 minutes later, after forgetting about it all, my phone does the little "doodle-loo-loo" sound to let me know I had a voice mail.

Before, both on home-based answering machines (tape or the digital models) and through any sort of phone company-based voicemail service, your messages were available instantly, as soon as the person was done leaving their message.

Do all you iPhone owners routinely experience a 5-12 minute lag/delay like I do?

Seems weird to have to wait 10 or more minutes on a 30-second message. It's by no means the end of the world, but it kinda sucks that this is one area where the iPhone doesn't beat, or improve on, the "old way". I like getting any missed messages/voicemails right away...not waiting for them to process or cue up, or whatever the procedure is!

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-11-19, 19:39

There are times it takes a few minutes. I think that you've got to have EDGE connectivity to get the messages sent to your phone. If you're in a spotty service area for EDGE or your phone is having connection problems, it'll take some time (or you won't get visual voicemail at all. I've gotten "visual voicemail is not available" messages at the top of the VV page on several occasions).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-19, 19:53

Strange. I've always received my messages, they've just never been "real time"; usually takes 4-5 minutes, but has, as tonight, taken a good ten or so. But I guess I should count my blessings, if "not getting them at all" is a common occurrence too.

Interesting. I did not know that...
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-11-19, 19:57

I didn't notice any delays when I was in the U.S. but I can tell you this: Visual voicemails are often delayed up to 24 hours when you're roaming internationally, at least here in Mexico.

I understand an EDGE connection is necessary for the visual voicemails to be delivered, and I also understand that one can't be talking on the phone and access the EDGE network simultaneously, which likely explains part of the delivery delays. But it seems like a v.m. notice/icon could/should be displayed immediately, even if a user has to wait for the v.m. to download to the iPhone.

This is more than a minor annoyance when out of the country; it can cost big bucks: Because of the visual v.m. delivery delays and since CallerID doesn't work in a lot of foreign destinations, I find myself dialing into my voicemail to check for new messages after a missed call(s), which is starting to add up at my $0.69/minute Mexico roaming rate.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-11-19, 20:09

I've noticed that a voicemail usually takes about 5 minutes to show up in Visual Voicemail on my iPhone.

I usually end up calling the person back before even getting the notice that they left a voicemail. Or, the little noise will come on while I'm on the phone with that person.

Oh well, I usually don't get many voicemails to begin with, so it's not that big of an issue for me.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-11-19, 20:11

It seems to take anywhere between 1 and 5 minutes depending on where I am. Not wonderful when I'm screening calls, but nothing that annoys me too much.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-11-19, 20:11

AFAIK, you only need EDGE to retrieve the actual message, but the notification is sent as a text message (which contains the URL of the sound file). So it should be quick and work wherever you have service. It may be that their servers for handling and transcoding visual voicemail recordings are just overloaded or something.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-19, 20:18

Yeah, it's not a huge travesty or life-altering experience...

But I was mostly curious about the "why" aspect of it, I guess. And it can be, at certain times and involving certain people, a slight hassle.

But, as I said in the opening post, if this is how it is with everyone, then that's how it is...and I'm okay with it. I was just making sure I wasn't dealing with something glitchy or weird that affected only me (like maybe I didn't have something configured or set-up properly, or that I was just unlucky and the recipient of slow, delayed service). That would kinda bother me...
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-11-19, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
... But, as I said in the opening post, if this is how it is with everyone, then that's how it is...and I'm okay with it.
Well, any type of delay, let alone a standard one- to 5-minute delay, on receipt of voicemails isn't really okay in my book. If I can surf the internet and download music and get a map from Miami to Cupertino on my cell phone, I should be able to get my voicemails delivered in something a lot closer to real-time than a minutes- or hours-long delay. It's not like voicemail is revolutionary; AT&T just needs to improve its iPhone visual v.m. notification/delivery.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-11-20, 00:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
It seems to take anywhere between 1 and 5 minutes depending on where I am. Not wonderful when I'm screening calls, but nothing that annoys me too much.
Takes the same amount of time for me as well.
autodata
hustlin

2007-11-20, 08:54

So is this always the case? Even in major cities?
Reid

2007-11-20, 11:45

Huh, it's usually pretty quick for me. Sometimes I've noticed a delay of a minute or two, but I just assumed it was related to the length of the message. They start playing so quickly when I retrieve one, that I assumed the whole thing downloaded in the background prior to receiving notification. So, the longer the message, the longer the time it takes to be notified that it's there. (i.e. if my mom prattles on for two minutes I'm obviously not going to get notified for at least that long, plus the time it takes to download.)

Edit: not that I always screen calls from my mom. But, you know.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2007-11-20, 12:31

Yeah I think it usually takes about a minute for me. It has taken as long as 5 minutes before though.
xlostlove777

2007-11-20, 14:39

I have AT&T with regular voicemail and it takes me about 5 minutes to get a voicemail from the time it was left. I think it's just AT&T's service which has gone downhill the past year or so on Long Island(1 hour away from NYC).