Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Visual Voicemail and Full Mailbox

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Visual Voicemail and Full Mailbox
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-10-12, 20:56

Today a friend had problems leaving me a message because my voicemail was FULL, which is weird because I've been deleting a lot of old messages using the visual voicemail feature... maybe not all, but most all of them. So when I dialed my own number using my iPhone it told me that I had 37 voicemail messages in my deleted messages box and I had to go through them individually, one by one, and push "7" to delete each one.

So.

What do I not understand about Visual Voicemail?

If I erase the messages AND clear them using the iPhone do they go away or do they build up back on the VM server somewhere, waiting for me to call in and erase them in the old-fashioned way?

It was rather annoying to have to go back to clearing my messages in a linear fashion and I just KNOW that I'm missing an important step..... holp!!!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-10-12, 21:23

Just so I'm clear here. Visual Voicemail was empty, and your "Deleted Messages" folder-thingy on Visual Voicemail was empty, too, but they were still there when you called in?

My call-in voicemail only saves the stuff that's in the "Deleted Messages" folder on Visual Voicemail. As matter of fact, the stuff that's in "Deleted Messages" on VVM is actually a "saved" message when I call in.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-10-13, 04:56

Yeah... I still don't understand what happened. Maybe a lot of stuff was left in the general area and "rolled off" of VVM into the call-in "holding tank". Regardless, I'm disappointed that there isn't an interface with the AT&T site that allows me to manage those saved calls in a non-linear fashion AND to save them as audio files to my computer.

Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-10-14, 22:52

Wow.
This has turned into a troubleshooting problem... a Genius Bar issue of the wildest degree, but I solved my problem (no thanks to Tier 1 of AT&T, though to the 2nd operator's credit she did schedule me for a follow-up call tomorrow) and thought you'd like to see the steps I followed....

Symptom:
Voice messages don't show up in Visual Voicemail, yet are available "old school style" when you call in to the carrier by pressing and holding "1" on your keypad.

Troubleshooting:
Called AT&T and spoke to Operator #1 who reset my voicemail settings, however I could not proceed out of the "set up" phase of Visual Voicemail. The phone could not acquire contact with the network to save my greeting. Then Operator #1's phone mysteriously burped and she disappeared forever, never to call me back. So I called back and got Operator #2. During the Convo with Operator #2 I discovered (thanks to Google, not the operator) that there had been a 3.1.2 OS release the previous week. Thinking this could be (or be related to) the problem I tinkered around and discovered that it was in fact possible to install a software update to the phone from the iTunes on my laptop even though I normally use the machine at work for syncs. (Note that there was also an AT&T update available after upgrading to 3.1.2)

Google for Help:
Lots of results, with a preponderance of posts mentioning "tethering".

Relevance:
A well-meaning sound engineer who works at a radio station at our building installed a tethering hack on my phone when I'd had it less than a week. I didn't even know what the heck tethering was, and have never even used the bloody thing, but I did have it... like herpes I had it.

Website Suggestions:
Most of the websites all tell you to go to your Network settings and Restore your network settings to default, but this didn't work for me because of one extra thing that I discovered in the comments of one blog, which is that the blasted tethering profile plays havoc with everything... it has to be removed...

Solution:
Buried in my network settings was a profile that stated "BenM.at". It was like a certificate you get when going to some websites. There was a red button that says "remove", so I clicked on that (after googling to make sure that it was okay to toss).

Result:
After ditching that cert I was immediately able to complete the set-up of my Greeting, which meant that the phone was communicating with the voicemail network, and I soon confirmed through testing that Visual Voicemail is back up and working.

So.

Tethering and the new 3.1.2 OS update combined with the new AT&T system update may play holy terror with your VVM.

Captain Drew on Twitter
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-10-14, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
.. a Genius Bar issue of the wildest degree...
Yes indeed.

Moving thread....
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-10-15, 00:34

Thanks, Fretting French Legume!!!

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-10-15, 00:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Thanks, Fretting Freedom Legume!!!