User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Farewell Apple Server... you died a slow death.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Farewell Apple Server... you died a slow death.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-04-22, 13:12

R.I.P., macOS Server; March 16, 1999 - April 21, 2022
At least the pain of over now. Apple pulled the plug.

I actually used it for a number of years in my house. It was my family's chat server, calendar server and even wiki for some things. It did file sharing and even LDAP there for a while too! Device management... You know, thinking through it really did a lot in my home.

All of which I don't need it for so I've moved away from it long ago. So many others must have done as I did. No wonder it is formally gone now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-04-22, 13:28

Final nail in the coffin of the Bertrand Serlet era.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-22, 14:01

Time/technology marches on.

I'm still lamenting the death of the iPod socks.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-04-22, 14:43

What impact does this have on those guys who use the Mac Mini in a server environment? MacMinicolo and others.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-04-22, 15:03

Nothing really. I think I read the only feature that is a challenge still is the device management. Now there are other options. Pretty much everything else is backed into the regular macOS now. Others you were better off not bothering with the Server for it.

Personally I use iCloud for my family stuff and a NAS for those things I don't want in iCloud. Less overhead and easier to maintain. I'm sure most others have done similar, or "adopted the cloud" instead. I just like keeping my private data truly private.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-04-22, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
What impact does this have on those guys who use the Mac Mini in a server environment? MacMinicolo and others.
Probably not much. Those use cases are things like a build host, render host, etc. Maybe even a web server. None of that needed Apple’s Server app.