User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Intel iMac or Quad?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Intel iMac or Quad?
Grip

2006-01-10, 18:32

I know, I know, at first blush this question might seem inane, but ...

I have been looking to upgrade my primary desktop computer to a Power Mac and specifically -- a souped-up Quad. I have been using an iMac G4 for about 3 years now and I feel like it is "fighting the good fight" but it is just too slow to deal with any longer. I end up on my 1.67Ghz 17" PB most of the time. Plus there are many applications I'd like to start using, like Aperture.

I would have pulled the trigger on a new Quad with a 23" display a few months ago, but I waited to see what was up Apple's sleeve today. And today we got the new Intel iMac.

I regarded the iMac G5 as a capable computer and probably would have suited me just fine but I don't like changing my setup too often (which is why I held on so long in the first place) so the Quad remained the frontrunner for my money. But now the Intel iMac may change the equation.

For a fraction of the price I can get what seems on paper to be a very powerful computer -- display included. This Intel iMac could keep me happy for at least a few years more and I could save a giant chunk of change for the next Power Mac (or whatever they decide to call it). Or I could go all out now and enjoy an healthy Quad setup for several years.

Thanks for reading and any responses.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-01-10, 19:45

Well, one of the boons of the mac market is that there is a good turnaround for reselling. This is changing a little bit now that apple has been ramping up their update cycle, but still, The $2000 mac today, will still be worth something a year from now. In some cases, it can still be worth upto $1600 or so, and all things considered, that's pretty rad.

If you have the funds for the quad+23" display, why not get and iMac+23" display, run a dual monitor setup, then when the intel desktops come out, sell the iMac(to me ) and get one of those, you'll already have the display, and the resell from the iMac will offset the desktop cost almost entirely(assuming the desktops intro at $1999)

Just a thought...

Personally, I think the iMacs are superior to the powermacs in almost every respect. Powermacs seem really only for professionals that need special PCI cards and tons of RAM and HD space. I mean, that might be you, I don't know, but I think the iMac really does offer a ton of power for what it is, as much or more than any powermac. At the price of not being able to tank it out with RAM, HD and whatever else.
Grip

2006-01-10, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Well, one of the boons of the mac market is that there is a good turnaround for reselling. This is changing a little bit now that apple has been ramping up their update cycle, but still, The $2000 mac today, will still be worth something a year from now. In some cases, it can still be worth upto $1600 or so, and all things considered, that's pretty rad.

If you have the funds for the quad+23" display, why not get and iMac+23" display, run a dual monitor setup, then when the intel desktops come out, sell the iMac(to me ) and get one of those, you'll already have the display, and the resell from the iMac will offset the desktop cost almost entirely(assuming the desktops intro at $1999)

Just a thought...

Personally, I think the iMacs are superior to the powermacs in almost every respect. Powermacs seem really only for professionals that need special PCI cards and tons of RAM and HD space. I mean, that might be you, I don't know, but I think the iMac really does offer a ton of power for what it is, as much or more than any powermac. At the price of not being able to tank it out with RAM, HD and whatever else.
Thanks Wrao. Those are all great points you make. I hadn't considered running dual display off an iMac, but why not?

I don't consider myself a "Power User" but I do have tons of files (including back-up files) and currently have 2 LaCie external HDs (720 gigs total) daisy-chained to my G4 iMac and will soon need more. As for RAM, I find that 2 gigs should get the job done these days, but in the future...?

However, there is something elegant about the iMacs all-in-one design that keeps me interested and now it has some extra power to boot. I may be leaning...
Wojtekk

2006-01-12, 11:35

My decision is very similar, and at this point I would really appreciate some help, since I've never owner a MAC in my life, and this is my switch from my PC.

In the past I've always had a computer for as long as humanly possible, updating the usual RAM, hardrive, whenever necessary.

As it stands right now, which is a better choice an new iMAC or a dual G5?

I'm mainly asking about performance differency, upgradibility etc.

Or should I wait a little while and see if there will be a boost of Intel chips for the Power G5 in the near future, and purchase the machine then?

I'm really appreciate all and any help.

Wojtek