AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

HFC, Google Maps for Safari!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
HFC, Google Maps for Safari!
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
autodata
hustlin

2005-03-05, 12:55

yes, there are a lot of inaccuracies and some of the directions it gives me are absolutely retarded.

Anyway, for the cool stuff:

Google maps hacks
how google maps work (I don't know whhat happened to the images)
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-03-05, 14:46

Post your feedback guys. Give them the specific steps you took and what the results should be vs. what they are. These guys will take every single thing you send to them seriously and try to fix it; I can almost guarantee it. Google is a hungry company despite their incredible success.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-03-06, 00:01

It has problems in the San Francisco Bay Area. If, say, I enter "cafe" and Benicia, CA 94510, I get restaurants that are all the way across the bridge from here, a good twenty minutes.

I can't link to it, for some reason, but anyone willing to try can do as I said above. I suppose it probably works based on how far away it is as the crow flies, not driving distance, but it'd be nice to incorporate these kinds of things, though I realize most don't have to deal with bridges all over the place.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-04-05, 09:37

Bump! Google maps has been updated. Now with sattelite imagery! I can see my freakin' house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-05, 09:44

Doesn't work in Safari. Clicking the Satellite link does nahzing.

Of course, Firefox works.
autodata
hustlin

2005-04-05, 10:42

It works nicely, but they don't have good maps of everywhere. I tried looking up the university of illinois in urbana and they only have real low-res imagery. And while they have ~1m res imagery of my town (I see people!), the images are at least two years old and, therefore, don't include a lot of the new construction in the area.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-04-05, 11:01

My neighborhood

I am very near to this church, notice the poor resolution, and the limited zoom in ability :/

Show me a link of where you can see people looking at philly and new york I can only see cars.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-05, 11:07

Poor images just mean there isn't good satellite data for the area. Try an urban area like this.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-04-05, 11:18

Funny. A quick look at Minneapolis shows a low-resolution north-south stripe down the middle of the city, with high resolution imagery on either side.
autodata
hustlin

2005-04-05, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Show me a link of where you can see people
here

You'll have to zoom in all the way. Note the building in the center with three sections. In the intersection to just above and to the right, you can see a dot. That's a person, maybe two people right next to one another. If you hunt around you'll see a couple more.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-04-05, 13:01

Oh, I thought you meant more clearly than that, not sure why I assumed that.

Yeah, if you zoom out of places you can tell where higher quality images are. I was hoping for as good as terraserver or whatever it is used to be. They don't allow for complete zooming like they used to several years ago. There used to be a level of zoom greater than they allow now.
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-04-05, 20:04

Land of the free, home of the brave...

Yet...http://www.google.com/maps?q=washing...9062&t=k&hl=en...we cower behind a mosaic.

I can see it now, 24-style: "My brothers, we need to call off the operation, there is an impenetrable dome of pixels shielding the Capitol building. We'll never see it from the air."

Now, altering the details of the tops of important buildings I feel is valid, for security, but to obscure the whole area is silly. It's not like those that are serious can't gather the info some other way.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
autodata
hustlin

2005-04-05, 21:06

They don't do the imagery themselves. John Young has been talking about USGS blurring those sites since they started some time ago. See his eyeball series and the UnEyeballing the US Seats of Power page
Quagmire
meh

2005-04-05, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Doesn't work in Safari. Clicking the Satellite link does nahzing.

Of course, Firefox works.
Works for me in Safari! It missed my house by one. But, your eyes are unworthy to see my 8 acre estate!
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-04-05, 21:40

The best part about Google Maps/Sat is that the bigger you make the window, the more it will show.

Wanna see this puppy on a dual 30" setup with a Safari window stretching across both...

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein