AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Movie Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 101 of 103 First Previous 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-09, 02:52

That’s what others are saying. Love it or hate it, the movie did its thing, and had a start, middle and an ending. I even remember Phoenix saying it wasn’t a “franchise” and that he had no interest in a sequel, which I knew was bullcrap.

In the back of my mind I always knew this news was coming.

I’d seen Joker before, actually. A few times, in fact. One of the better ones had Robert De Niro driving a cab, hoping to rescue 12-year-old Clarice Starling from her hooker existence.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a movie try so hard to be the modern, 21st century version of a far better take on the matter.

Something about Joker just hit me as manipulative and unearned, on top of my previous comments. I just hate this movie on so many levels. Obviously.

This dead-eyed, ginned-up piece-of-shit gets a Fleck Strikes Back: Joke Harder part two?! Oh, whatever…”.
¡Damned!

2022-06-09, 07:01

Kinda blows my theory that he suicided himself the fridge half-way through the movie... I too thought it was a decent one-off and was hoping DC might leave it alone, but after its massive $uccess the writing was kinda on the wall.

Small related tangent: I didn't mind Pattison's Batman movie – it wasn't world-changing but it didn't suck either. Farrell's Penguin chewing up scenery was a definite highlight. I've grown to really like him as an actor.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-09, 07:35

The makeup job they did was very impressive. If you’d showed me a pic of Colin Farrell in character as Penguin and said “you have three months to guess the actor”, I wouldn’t be able.

I’d name about 7,400 others. Richard Kind? Danny DeVito? Jason Alexander? Joe Pesci? Every chunky, balding white guy I could think of! Hell, Burt Ward in a bit of stunt-casting/nudge-wink move?

Most makeup jobs you can still see/recognize the actor below (a bit of aging, a bit of weight gain or even stylized exaggerating for a fantasy/sci-fi type of project). But they went all-in on full transformation here. There is absolutely zero trace of Farrell remaining.

That’ll have to be nominated for - if not outright win - a boatload of awards when that time rolls around.

Throw in the voice on top of the makeup/visual and I would never guess that’s the actor underneath!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-16, 11:27

Hustle from Adam Sandler. It's on Netflix.

Yeah, yeah, I know, it's Adam Sandler (but we like him — mostly ). This was a breakout roll for him, and a very nice Rocky-style movie. About an NBA scout looking for the next big star. I'm not gonna leak all the details, just going to recommend it. It wasn't the typical toilet-humor Adam Sandler film, although there were parts that made me giggle. It was a drama centered around Sandler's favorite sport (basketball) and it was very well done. I was quite surprised and impressed with the effort, and I love that Sandler continues his family-focused films.

I would give this one 4 stars.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-16, 11:44

Along those same lines, check out another Adam Sandler drama called Uncut Gems (we might’ve even talked about this movie somewhere in this thread). Same sort of vibe, a drama with some darker comedic touches.

Like Robin Williams, I can’t stand Adam Sandler when he’s trying to be funny; grates on my nerves. I’ve never found either man particularly funny (I know, I know…heresy!) But I’ve enjoyed their dramatic roles.
¡Damned!

2022-08-08, 08:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
What's this now? A new Predator movie??? How did I not know this was happening?
Aaaaannnd it wasn't terrible? Pretty entertaining even?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-08, 08:30

I'm looking forward to see it. I haven't stopped to watch it yet though my son did ask me if we could watch it. So we will probably take the time to watch it in the near future.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2022-08-08, 08:53

It was fun. Violent, gory fun, but still fun. It snuck in a handful of nods to the original film without beating you over the head with it, and it felt like it was meant as a stand-alone film instead of a set up for more. Enjoyable.

The predator design was pretty interesting too. Without giving anything away, it was more 'primitive' than what we've seen before – maybe because of the 300ish year difference between then and the original? Of course that would mean throwing the AvP stuff out, which is probably for the best.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-08, 09:16

Given I stopped watching at AvP, I won't be having to forget it, I've never seen it!

Cool. I'm really looking forward to watching this with my son now!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-08-08, 11:07

Watched it this weekend as well. Really enjoyed it. Thought it was very well done.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-08-08, 11:29

My wife asked me about Prey over the weekend too. I just assumed it'd be another spinoff flop, but with all this good press, maybe I was mistaken! Now it's on our list.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-08-08, 12:01

Jesse Ventura's endorsement is good enough for me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-10-06, 15:19

The Super Mario Bros. Movie Direct

Hot off the press! I'm sure a dedicated teaser trailer video will be posted separately soon alongside the billion reaction videos that are no doubt currently being uploaded.

The few voices we heard aren't nearly as jarring as I thought they'd be. The slightly off-model Mario is also not as ugly as I'd feared. My body is ready.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-06, 15:22

What is the timestamp for the teaser? I'm not ready to sit through that long video right now but am interested in the movie.

Edit: Gizmodo helped out with a link.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-11-29, 18:34

Second trailer for Super Mario Brothers movie.

I'm linking it. Looks to be really fun even if Chris doesn't sound like Mario in every game I've ever played.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-11-29, 20:49

I can definitely get behind that.

People are so weird with voices in movies. So what if it's not the exact same voice that was the voice actor for the movies. It's different but sounds close enough.

Definitely going for the nostalgia in that one.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-11-29, 23:04

All I can hear is still just Chris Pratt whenever Mario opens his mouth, and it feels weird. Hopefully he didn't just phone-in his performance. Jack Black by comparison sounds like he's putting in 200%. I'm sure it'll sound better in context of the rest of the movie, but for now, yeah, I'm one of the folks who thinks Pratt's voice is a very odd match. And I'm the kind of fool who actually liked Bob Hoskins's take on a Brooklyn-American accent for Mario nearly 30 years ago.

I never did and still don't think Charles Martinet could deliver Mario's voice for a whole movie. His style is nice for a video game, but beyond the simple whoops and yahoos, his Mario voice gets very grating very quickly. Everyone would hate it.

I think everyone else in the trailer sounds great, though! My hype levels are rising.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-12-01, 16:30

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

I'm sure I'll watch it, hope it will be good. Minimally entertaining.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-12-01, 20:10

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 too!

This one doesn't look like it will be as funny as the others. I really hope it didn't lose the fun factor the others had.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-12-02, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

I'm sure I'll watch it, hope it will be good. Minimally entertaining.
As much as I love that franchise, the trailer just looks … awful!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-12-02, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
As much as I love that franchise, the trailer just looks … awful!
Ditto.

It has that terribly over the top uncanny valley feeling like one of these YouTube VFX channels decided to do a "what if" challenge to make an "epic" Indiana Jones trailer. Nothing feels real. Nothing has weight. Even the music feels obviously cheap and synthetic.

I'll probably watch this eventually, but I sure won't be paying to see it opening day/week/month/whatever. I learned my lesson with Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-12-02, 14:39

TBF, it's not done cooking, yet, but I think they should have waited to release the trailer for at least another 3 months. Maybe in the March time-frame after the affects and score were a bit more ironed out?

The whole thing looks and feels about like the original Star Wars trailer (don't hate me for that). It feels so unfinished. Granted, the Star Wars trailer was trying to introduce audiences to en entirely new way to tell a Hollywood story and it was reaching for the, umm, stars, but it was still half-baked — and Lucas admitted to this at some point IIRC. Dial of Destiny looks worse than The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and feels childish, forced, graphically unimpressive, and — dare I say it — old! Perhaps that's because Harrison Ford just doesn't look the part any longer. And — what's this? — we have another surprise offspring-god-child sorta thing going on? Because we need to add a new sidekick to the story and oh by the way it's Lara Croft some random brunette no one knows or cares about?

Sadly, this is a movie that doesn't need to be made — and it appears that Disney put very little thought into it. And, come on, are we still dancing with that tired, old Nazi theme? And will there be more Russians?

I'll watch it on Disney+ at some point, but I just can't be bothered to waste 50 bucks on this mess at the theater.

Disney would be better served (and better serving) were they to take the franchise to an 8-part series in the image of The Mandalorian, and put it in the hands of some real fans-turned directors who would dig into what made the franchise so viable and popular in the first place, and play with new characters/adventures where Harrison Ford might drop in and out in a kind of father-figure way like Sean Connery, aka Henry Jones, did in The Last Crusade. I could see several random characters from the past — like Short Round — whose later adventures could be inspiring, martial-artsy, and fun, without having to lean on an 80+-year old Indian Jones that can't run trying to flip-jump over yet another scary rockcavernevilmonster.

Give me Short Round: An Indiana Jones Story* over this flaming turd — any day!

* Wait until Episode 4 or 5 and then bring Harrison Ford in to give guidance or make an ex machine rescue or something. Otherwise, retire that old bird!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-12-02, 15:49

To be fair, I don't watch any movie in the theaters at this point. The last time I did, my son made it his Birthday present from my mom so she paid for me to take him and his little brother. We went in the middle of the day so there wouldn't be anyone else there to annoy us while we enjoyed it!

I wait until the movies can be watched from my couch before seeing them. These above will be no different.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-12-09, 10:05

This is a fun little clip from the Mario movie.
I'm sure I will enjoy the movie.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-12-11, 12:16

This was fun. I think it's a tour and if it's near you it's a fun afternoon. Everyone quoting along with the film and having a great time together followed by some enjoyable stories from Elwes.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-12-12, 00:57

What a treat for fans!

I'm sure that the actors need to pace themselves with events like this. There probably aren't many original questions left out there in fandom they haven't already encountered.

How long did it last? I'm guessing an hour after the film?

Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-12-12, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
What a treat for fans!

I'm sure that the actors need to pace themselves with events like this. There probably aren't many original questions left out there in fandom they haven't already encountered.

How long did it last? I'm guessing an hour after the film?

Yeah, about an hour. Sold-out crowd of nearly 2000.

Mostly he told stories about Andre the Giant being the nicest guy in the world.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-03-03, 13:42

Last night I watched The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent and The Whale, two very different movies. I haven't seen either of these mentioned in this thread, but I would strongly recommend them for all audiences.

I haven't been to the theaters since COVID-19 started its spread; so, I'm always at least several months behind the curve, and trying to dodge massive spoilers along the way, at least until streaming or home releases become available. It's a shame, and I hope these guys got plenty of box office sales and accolades when they released last year. I know at least Brendan Fraser's performance in The Whale has gotten attention at recent awards ceremonies.

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent is a very loosely "biographical" (heavy "air" "quotes" emphasis here) story in which Nicolas Cage plays himself in modern day Los Angeles, struggling to achieve the recognition he deserves as a movie star while dealing with his family breaking apart, but things soon go off the rails as he travels across the world for one last gig. It's one part semi-serious semi-satirical character study, one part buddy comedy, one part spy thriller, and one part action adventure, and it makes generous meta winks and nods at the camera just short of totally breaking the fourth wall. Yes, it's as weird as it sounds, but I think it executes that weirdness masterfully. It's funny and engaging, and it makes me want to go back and rewatch some of Cage's older movies. Mission accomplished, Nick Cage. You win this round.

The Whale is a movie on a much smaller scale, its setting limited almost exclusively to one man's apartment, and it follows a morbidly obese man as he tries to reconnect with some of his family. I don't want to say much more because I "went in cold" not knowing anything about the character or plot, and I think that's a great approach for this one. The story is both heart-wrenching and uplifting and deals with themes of love, loss, bullying, suicide, identity, religion, parenthood, and family. Brendan Fraser knocks it out of the park with his performance. You can both love him and hate him (or rather his character) for what he's done and is doing. It's a real joy seeing the Encino man back on the big screen, and I hope to see more from him in the coming years.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-03-03, 17:09

Yeah, this is supposed to be his "Mickey Rourke The Wrestler role/comeback, from all I've read and am hearing. Be out of the public eye for years, keep your nose clean/free from scandal/bad behavior and transform yourself to star in a tear-jerking Oscar-bait project by a serious director, and suddenly you're in everyone's good graces again and everyone's rooting for you to sweep the awards.

Get fat, go bald, get super-skinny, go against type, play a gay character, play a straight character who wishes they were gay, etc. are all sure-fire ways to get yourself nominated. No, Fraser didn't make himself 600+ lbs. for this role, so, naturally, actual fat actors have been raising a fuss about his casting and wearing a fat suit, prosthetics, etc. Okay, it's show "business". Point out any known-name 600lbs. gay actor who could've properly checked all the required boxes for this role and get back to me. I don't give a shit if there's some beloved, known-only-in-his-hometown stage actor in Baltimore who fits the bill. He's not gonna put butts in seats like a Brendan Fraser or some other known name will, for the movie to even stand a chance at being seen outside the art house and award circuit screenings. Hey, he wasn't wearing black-face, so STFU already. Don Cheadle or Forest Whitaker didn't get cheated out of role. Naive me, thinking "acting" is a performer portraying something he actually isn't. Last I checked, that's the very definition of the word/occupation. Sorry, but I'm pretty sure Christopher Reeve couldn't really fly or lift a bus or train, and Harrison Ford probably doesn't know jack about archeology. Were real-life superheroes or archeologists raising hell 40 years ago over the casting of Reeve and Ford in their iconic roles. I somehow doubt it. This whole "roles can only be inhabited by people who are truly that in real life - fat, gay, deaf, trans, wizard, starship captain, dyslexic, etc. - is a recent thing, stemming from various put-upon groups always kvetching over "lack of representation", "the wrong kind of representation" or any number of other things. Maybe just shut up and be glad that a top director and studio took on the grim tale of a grotesquely fat gay man who's alienated his daughter and others. Isn't exactly summer popcorn fare and if it makes any profit at all, it'll be a small miracle. By all means, stand outside the multiplex with placards protesting the casting and existence of a movie that you should be fall-on-your-knees thankful ever got made. Because it would not have, 15 years ago, guaranteed. And, if so, it would've starred a complete cast of unknowns and would've raked in about $9.75 total box office over 4-5 months (if that), and likely be seen/treated as a grim, dark cult comedy over all else. A point-and-laugh spectacle vs. "oh, that Mummy guy actually can act!" thing it's become.

People are just ridiculous (and impossible to please). Granted, I don't follow movies/acting circles as I once did, but I certainly don't know any openly gay 600+-lb. actors the director/studio could've gone with to help draw in the other cast/talent. Sometimes you sign on a Fraser, De Niro, Pacino or Willis to help lure the Nortons, Spaceys, Harris, Kilmers, Rickmans and the rest of the participants/cast?

It is, above all else, a business. Not a virtue-signaling, box-checking orgy (that comes after the Oscars at one of L.A.'s more debauched, coke- and jizz-riddled hotels everyone there pretends to not know about but wind up spending more time at than their own house.

PS - Nicolas Cage has fully entered that Christopher Walken/Robin Williams zone for me, to where they're kinda in on the joke and it just makes me nervous/uncomfortable to sit and watch them in anything anymore (well, not Williams, I suppose) because they're playing it up and going "full Walken/Cage" and over-delivering the product. Cage has been a weirdo for years, but it didn't bother me in Raising Arizona and the like. Now it/he does. There's no way I could watch such a movie now and not want to jump out of my own skin after about 15-20 minutes.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-03-03 at 17:38.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-03-03, 19:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
PS - Nicolas Cage has fully entered that Christopher Walken/Robin Williams zone for me, to where they're kinda in on the joke and it just makes me nervous/uncomfortable to sit and watch them in anything anymore (well, not Williams, I suppose) because they're playing it up and going "full Walken/Cage" and over-delivering the product. Cage has been a weirdo for years, but it didn't bother me in Raising Arizona and the like. Now it/he does. There's no way I could watch such a movie now and not want to jump out of my own skin after about 15-20 minutes.
Oh yeah. Unbearable Weight is 1000 percent him being "in on the joke", but somehow it didn't come off as totally cringey or hammy to me. I'm not sure if it helps or hurts that I haven't seen any other movies starring him in recent years. Last one would have been... let me check his IMDB credits... oh, I guess he voiced "Noire" Spider-man in 2018's Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, but I feel like that doesn't count... hmm... I guess nothing since 2010's Kick-Ass. Jesus, this list. Cage really does appear to just agree to star in anything with a paycheck.