User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 181 of 222 First Previous 177 178 179 180 [181] 182 183 184 185  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-05-04, 09:55

That's the Vaudeville Hook! Enjoy your trip down the TV Tropes rabbit hole.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2022-05-04, 10:10

Goddamnit Brad.
¡Damned!

2022-05-04, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I always liked those Bugs Bunny and other cartoons when a hook would come out from the side of the stage and yank someone off ...
I think of The Muppet Show when I think of the hook. Poor Fozzie... he had good intentions and I always felt for him.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-04, 10:17

Oh yeah, they used it a lot too.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-05-04, 10:30

And now that song is firmly re-stuck in my head.

DUN da DUN da dun…
DUN da DUN da dun…
DUN da DUN da dun DUN
DEEPSAXNOTE.

It's time to play the music…
It's time to light the lights…
It's time to meet the Muppets…
on the Muppet Show tonight!

DUN DUN DUN

I guess this is my penance for the TV Tropes link. Could be worse.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-04, 10:37

I feel like I should be one of the two judges up in the booth …

I'm old enough for it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-04, 11:00

I'm better as Waldorf and Statler. Take your pick of which one I'm more like.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-04, 14:27

Update on the Chappelle thing...

- The attacker had a knife, so I'm guessing he wasn't looking to shake hands or ask for an autograph
- The attacker is in custody, a 23-year-old named Isaiah Lee
- From the on-scene arrest pics, he looks to have been on the receiving end of an ass-beating for his actions

Good, send a message: you choose - we're all about "choice", right? - to hop on stage and threaten/jeopardize performers and crew, venue/artist security just might decide to earn their money that night and lay a beating on your stupid ass. You may find yourself hoping/praying for a cop at that point, to save you from 6'6" bodyguards/security personnel who might not GAF about "procedure", rights, protocols, de-escalation, etc. and would love nothing more than to beat your ass for about 5-10 minutes straight.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-05-04 at 14:59.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-05-04, 14:53

This calls for Dalton
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-04, 15:08

Haha...exactly!

It will be interesting to see, now that COVID seems to be settling down and some people have about 18 months or so of "unhinged, disruptive shithead" built up inside them, summer is arriving (people typically get a little more bonkers or short-fused in hotter weather), etc. if these sorts of incidents will increase. Touring standup comics (and musicians/bands, for that matter) have to be thinking a bit more about that as they step on stages tonight, and in the days/weeks to come.

Thanks, Will...

It isn't that hard to put yourself somewhere you're not supposed to be. It's only because 99.7% of the population doesn't want to be that person, that performers are relatively safe on stages. But if a bunch of chardonnay-soaked yuppie boomers decided to rush the stage, en masse, and beat the sweet fuck out of Billy Joel or Paul Simon, there's really not much, physically, stopping them. We all just kinda agree to "behave", and hope for the best, aware that there's always the potential for some bonehead outlier looking for their 15.

UPDATE: Here's the weapon the attacker had...a fake/replica(?) handgun with a knife that folds/projects out.

Insidious weapon...while you first see/focus on the gun, hoping to not get shot, you probably don't even expect/think about a big knife blade coming out to do the actual deed.

There isn't a (reasonable) person on earth, who, upon seeing such a thing, wouldn't think it was a real gun, blade or not. Scary stuff. Do venues, since 9/11, not check/screen for this kind of stuff? I know many used to, maybe the thinking has cooled on that. Maybe it needs to warm back up some? This guy should've never been inside the venue.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-05-05 at 06:41.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-06, 08:21

**Sounds About Right News**

Man charged for opening door, walking on wing as jet taxis

At first I thought it was during takeoff, where my response would've been "shut the damn door and take off, see how long he can hang on".

But, unfortunately, it was during arrival...

Quote:
CHICAGO (AP) — A man opened an emergency exit of a United Airlines jet, walked onto a wing as the plane taxied at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport and jumped onto the tarmac early Thursday, police said.

Chicago Police said the passenger on Flight 2478 was arrested and taken into custody. The 57-year-old Escondido, California, man was charged with reckless conduct.

Police said the incident happened at about 4:31 a.m. when the jet was approaching the gate at Terminal 1. Police said when the man jumped onto the tarmac, he attempted to guide the aircraft to the gate.
Well, at least he was trying to be helpful.

Are Chicago-area airport employees on strike or something? Was he looking to cover for missing personnel?

"I got this...how hard can it be?!"

Somewhere is a pages-long list of all the disruptive, crazy and/or shitheaded people causing trouble on airplanes. The amateur boxers, the gropers and chronic masturbators, the nutballs trying to open the door mid-flight and/or access the cockpit, the prescription med folks adding booze to their day and going absolutely nuts as a result, the drama queens and attention whores who just want to be loud and fight with airline personnel and fellow passengers, etc. I don't know why it's so hard for some people to just sit there, STFU, read a magazine or listen to their music/podcasts and sip a (non-alcoholic) beverage for a few hours. You'll be at your destination before you know it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-05-06, 08:24

Drunk/high former staff member maybe, or someone who served in the airforce as ground crew? People can do odd things.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-06, 08:41

That's pretty much all this thread is, at least my contributions to it..."people doing odd things", to some degree or another, funny or otherwise.

Knock on wood, I've never really experienced a full-on crazy, disruptive person on a flight. Some rowdy kids with overly permissive, oblivious parents and maybe a hyper-chatty, talking-a-bit-too-loud-than-necessary row-mate. But no real trouble or scary stuff.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-06, 11:20

I sat next to a super-goofy girl on a flight from Vegas to Boise. It was an hour and a half of non-stop jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-jabber-

Other than that, I've never even seen rowdy behavior on a plane. Although I do have to admit I really don't fly that much, so take it for what it's worth.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-06, 11:48

And I bet it was an ocean of upspeak, "like" every fourth word and/or vocal-fry city.

Every female I know under 35 has the most #$%^@ annoying voice these days. I don't know where they're learning it, but damn...it makes me yearn for that crazy mid-Atlantic accent/speaking you hear in those old movies. Give me mid-1940's Katherine Hepburn any day over "and, like, we were, like, so ready to, like, leave? And, like, it was, like, crazy? I, like, told Cassidy and Brittany to, like, grab their purse so we could, like, get out of there?"

Lady, are you telling me a story or asking me questions?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-06, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Lady, are you, like, telling me a story or, like, asking me questions?
FTFY
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-05-06, 14:50

You should know by now, women don’t ask questions, unless they tell you they are asking one. 😁
Dr. Bobsky

2022-05-06, 21:48

Shocking bit of sexism here
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-05-07, 04:57

For ages women and men have discussed the most and least pleasing qualities of the other sex. Most of it is still harmless tongue in cheek.
Dr. Bobsky

2022-05-07, 06:55

Most of it is unsupported overgeneralisation and literal sexism, especially as reflected in these posts ...

Last edited by Dr. Bobsky : 2022-05-07 at 07:06.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-05-07, 13:23

At times the cure is worse than the disease.
Dr. Bobsky

2022-05-07, 14:41

When your acts silent minority voices because they don’t feel welcome, the cure (which is not being an asshole and treating all humans with dignity and respect) is certainly better than continuing bullshit
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-05-07, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
When your acts silent minority voices because they don’t feel welcome, the cure (which is not being an asshole and treating all humans with dignity and respect) is certainly better than continuing bullshit
Coming from you that's a funny statement, given that you're a master of doing just that.
Dr. Bobsky

2022-05-07, 17:42

You don’t know me. And if you imagine this excuses your sexism here, your imagination is far from reality.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-05-07, 18:12

One needs some perspective. Not all speech is appropriate in all places, but that doesn't mean it isn't appropriate full stop. People like to laugh, at themselves and others. And people like to complain too. That doesn't make the speaker an oppressor nor the subject a victim. Context matters: what is being said, where, and to whom? We're on an anonymous-ish board, making rather mundane observations and generalized comments that might just as easily annoy someone as make them chuckle. But there's no power there to abuse, nor influence, nor is there any exclusion from anything of consequence - job, program, service, justice, or fraternity. The comments are not indecent: That high talkers can be annoying? Or that some of our women in our lives may have particular rhetorical tendencies? You have to trust that the author and the reader understand where it might not be OK. Otherwise the cure is just oppressive. Worse, deployed too zealously, it conflates any potential irritant with hate speech, and that diminishes the plight of those who are victims. But, this is the internet, and signals tend to get crossed, and it possible to find value in what both sides of this have had to say.
For my part, I do.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-05-07, 18:32

Quote:
You don’t know me. And if you imagine this excuses your sexism here, your imagination is far from reality.
Right back at you. You judge others without knowing them, or why they have said what they said. Doesn't seem to bother you any. My own comment was completely sarcastic, but since you were being an ass, I was too.
Dr. Bobsky

2022-05-08, 01:18

Neither of you seems to get it — you made one of the few minority voices here uncomfortable, and then doubled down on idiocy. All I can do is point out your casual -isms, and if you don’t want to hear it, it’s not my job to take personal abuse from you. If you want this place to be yet another knuckle dragging, white-male echo chamber so be it. I’m out.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-05-08, 12:24

So many assumptions on your part. How do you know we are white? I never wanted to make anyone uncomfortable with my statement. If I did, then I apologize fully. Not to you though, your just an ass, but to them yes.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-05-08, 12:32

Quote:
Neither of you seems to get it — you made one of the few minority voices here uncomfortable, and then doubled down on idiocy. All I can do is point out your casual -isms, and if you don’t want to hear it, it’s not my job to take personal abuse from you. If you want this place to be yet another knuckle dragging, white-male echo chamber so be it. I’m out.
I just came back from a week away at work and have no idea what this argument is about.

But I'm fascinated by the idea that you believe you have an accurate count of who is white and who is a visible minority, on a mostly anonymous message board centered around Apple computer users.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-08, 18:21

I have no idea what got this thread so triggered.

But, let's take a break, move on, and be friends, K?

Last edited by kscherer : 2022-05-10 at 11:01.