User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 182 of 222 First Previous 178 179 180 181 [182] 183 184 185 186  Next Last Thread Tools
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2022-05-08, 18:45

I know I'm just an irrational former woman or something, but I'm with Bobsky on 'man that stereotyping language was irritating as shit', but it's an example of the kind of things I hear all the goddamn time working in a male-dominated office now that I pass as one of the guys at a place of employment that doesn't know I was ever female. I'm glad he brought it up because I wouldn't have had the patience to do so, figuring it was a lost cause - sad my instinct was right.

Also ftr the use of 'like' and 'uptalk' might be derided in America and other parts of the west, but did you know it's actually quite common in business usage in Asian countries (in those languages), where the use of upward intonation, using 'she said like' as opposed to s'he said' as a way to hold space for what people have said without necessarily assuming their speech was exactly their mind, and otherwise serving a variety of linguistic chameleon attributes that tend to mark the speaker using it as more collaborative and exercising more nuance in social situations? I had a 3 hour seminar on it once. Completely blew my mind.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-05-08, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
I know I'm just an irrational former woman or something, but I'm with Bobsky on 'man that stereotyping language was irritating as shit', but it's an example of the kind of things I hear all the goddamn time working in a male-dominated office now that I pass as one of the guys at a place of employment that doesn't know I was ever female. I'm glad he brought it up because I wouldn't have had the patience to do so, figuring it was a lost cause - sad my instinct was right.

Also ftr the use of 'like' and 'uptalk' might be derided in America and other parts of the west, but did you know it's actually quite common in business usage in Asian countries (in those languages), where the use of upward intonation, using 'she said like' as opposed to s'he said' as a way to hold space for what people have said without necessarily assuming their speech was exactly their mind, and otherwise serving a variety of linguistic chameleon attributes that tend to mark the speaker using it as more collaborative and exercising more nuance in social situations? I had a 3 hour seminar on it once. Completely blew my mind.
It's not irrational. If I offend you, or any others here (other than Bobsky) I am truly sorry. I don't think that way about women at all, what I said (even if sarcastic in nature), should not have been said, and did not think of it coming across that way though before hand.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-08, 20:35

I'm gonna say this so please read it for what it is:

Stop being offended for someone else.

If someone personally offends you, address it with them. Stop spending your life being offended for others. You'd be surprised how few people are actually offended by things people say or do that you think they would be offended by.

To quote my uncle, "we all have stupid fall out of our mouths". It happens, move on. Stop being offend-able and the world will be a better place.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2022-05-09 at 12:22. Reason: Holy crap I noticed typos!
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-05-09, 15:53

I’m a fairly progressive person, but I just don’t see it as deeply offensive. A little complaining and a little sarcasm fall easily into friendly banter. People do it all the time, women and men, of all races, of all ages, about everything and everyone, both alike and different. If Ken and Paul dislike uptalk, or their girlfriends telegraph every question, that’s hardly setting civil discourse, much less civil rights and equality on fire. It wasn’t said in anything other than the spirit of grumpy male banter. It is utterly harmless. To compare it to anything sinister does disservice to those who suffer real and painful discrimination. If they were running for office they might not want to open with, “women annoy me when…” but they’re not, or operating your dept, or policing your streets, or teaching your kids. That said, the people who are, are full of all kinds of little thoughts and preferences just like that, and it doesn’t make any of them evil or racist or sexist, even if they dare from time to time to state a preference about something, even publicly - depending on what and how, and the spirit in which it’s given. Sometimes it is objectively bad, but if you make everything bad, you’re no better an arbiter than the person who thinks everything is Ok.

Last edited by Matsu : 2022-05-09 at 16:11.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-05-09, 22:56

wrt to my last post here, yeah... I probably posted that comment when it was late and I was too tired to realize what I was doing.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-10, 10:03

**As You Would Expect News**

A tip among hundreds led police to capture Casey White and Vicky White. But her death leaves many questions

I called this weeks ago, several aspects (her involvement in the escape, and that there was a solid chance it would not end well for her because of the guy's background/previous crimes).

She was 56 and he is 38. He could be considered "roguishly attractive", she...well. I doubt it took much on his part to twirl that swizzle stick. He might've given her some attention (powerful, intoxicating stuff) that she wasn't getting otherwise - why would an employed prison staffer (insurance, pension, vacation, steady paycheck, etc.) in good standing hitch their wagon to a known murderer, throwing away their freedom, reputation and career? But it happens. Whether it was legit feelings/attraction on his part, or just a ruse to gain her trust/help, who knows. But more than a few prison staffers/guards - male and female - have gotten tangled up with inmates and it lead to really bad outcomes. I recall similar cases in Nebraska, Pennsylvania, New York and Florida, just off the top of my head.

She was indeed involved, and facilitated his escape, and has been on the run with him as a willing partner/accomplice - and not as an against-her-will hostage/kidnap victim - as the initial "breaking news" and follow-up reports speculated/presented. There is no disputing any of that now. And all to the shock of her friends, family and co-workers, from all I've read. This was very "unlike her", they say, so there was something there causing her to throw her life/career away for a convicted murderer with no real future to speak of (because nobody escapes this type of stuff; they're always caught). I can be crude with my theories/speculation, but why bother at this point...

She is now dead. Allegedly by her own hand, but the prisoner was with her when it happened, and is, of course, denying involvement. They were driving and the car wrecked...cops pulled him out, but she was dead of a gunshot wound to the head.

So...how much do you want to trust a convicted murderer on such a thing? "I didn't do it!" tends to ring a little hollow here.

Yes, she certainly could've shot herself over guilt and/or realizing what a huge, life-altering mistake she'd made. But I have to wonder: how often was he trusting her - a law enforcement official who could snap back to her senses at any moment and turn against him - with a loaded gun? I'd say the chances of that are pretty slim. So I don't buy for one second that she killed herself, and I think I'll be proven right on that - the third aspect of all this - soon enough. The guy is already spending the rest of his life in prison on a previous murder, so what's another at this point if it helps suppress any additional evidence/testimony? There's no telling what he might told/confessed to her over the past week and, with the cops closing in, realizing "she knows too much stuff about me, things I've done". Things that could absolutely affect parole hearings, privileges, visitation restrictions, recreation/out-of-cell time, where he's imprisoned, what level of security unit he's assigned, etc. Just because he's already in prison for the rest of his life doesn't mean things can't get worse for him if she got on the witness stand and testified to things he told her at 2am in motel rooms. She would be a liability/loose end at that point.

Sad all around. And it'll happen again. There's always someone drawn to the "bad boy"/"bad girl" thing, to such a degree that they'll willingly toss their job and rep out the window for a bit of romantic/sexual attention and/or open-road/on-the-lam "adventure". Some people watch Bonnie & Clyde type fare and see something alluring and enticing in that whole "outlaws in love and on the run" racket. She's merely the latest.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-05-10 at 10:49.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-10, 11:01

Just scanned through the bits and pieces. I don't want people to die, but it's hard to feel bad for folks like that. She's a gullible nitwit, and he's a loser. Both asked for — and got — a harsh dose of reality. It's sad to see people go down such roads, because such roads are paved with the bones of the foolish. These roads are not secret or hidden, and the pavement is well documented for all to see. Thus, these two clowns had ample warning as to the consequences. What they do only hurts others, and so I cannot shed any tears for them.

She helped a convicted murderer escape only to sew destruction and suffering on others. That said, as far as I'm concerned she not only becomes culpable for the ensuing mayhem, but also culpable in the original murder by denying justice to the victims. I know that's not a matter of law, it's just the way I feel about it.

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
wrt to my last post here, yeah... I probably posted that comment when it was late and I was too tired to realize what I was doing.

It's been moved. Thanks.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2022-05-10 at 12:49.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-10, 14:07

I'm with you on this one Paul. I just knew she was involved when she "disappeared" because an inmate doesn't get away without help. There is normally a two-person team for most movements of inmates from my understanding also. So her being alone with him just doesn't fit normal SOP. Sad she is dead. I won't be shocked if he did it either. I won't bet on it, because the realization of guilt can be real and she could well have done it herself.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-10, 14:26

Yeah, the cause on that is still out. Could go either way.

But I imagine it’s very tough to escape prison without a bit of inside assistance in some way.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-05-10 at 19:50.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-10, 20:14

**Seems Like the Sort of Thing One Would Remember News**

Ashley Graham strips down for latest shoot: 'I don't think I've ever been naked on a billboard before'

No idea who this person is. The headline just made me chuckle.

She must do quite a lot of birthday suit photography.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-11, 08:56

No kidding. Seems like something I'd recall with ease.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-05-11, 09:49

Just for the sake of giving her the benefit of the doubt, she may have been hired for photoshoots in the past without necessarily knowing the medium.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-11, 09:56

Perhaps. Just more fun to pretend/assume the other.

Still don't know who she is (never heard of her until I saw the article above). From a 3-second Google, she appears to be a model of the plus-size variety? I just thought maybe she was on one of those "Real Housewives..." or any of the Inexplicably Famous But on TV Anyway shows that are all over E!, A&E, Bravo!, etc.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-11, 12:22

Man dies of Heart Attack while burying his girlfriend he just killed.
Quote:
A South Carolina man accused of strangling his girlfriend died of a heart attack while burying her in their yard in a twist of what some might call poetic justice, according to reports.
I mean, at least his "justice" was swift. I didn't read the whole thing, just the highlights. No idea why he killed her, maybe she nagged him.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-11, 14:27

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-11, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
No idea why he killed her, maybe she nagged him.
Shocking bit of sexism here.

Sorry, just saving someone the trouble.

Still, I gotta figure that it's probably not as bad as that coming from the guy who, you know, actually killed her. Hard to top that...most jokes probably won't do it, I'm guessing.

But seriously...If you murder someone, you automatically roll the karma dice. And whatever happens to you, well...you kinda have to take it, don't you? Up to, and including, keeling over in your yard, shovel in hand.

EDIT/UPDATE: Read the article. He was 60 and he killed his 65-year-old live-in girlfriend. Had her wrapped up and everything, pit already dug. I guess it caught up to him?

Glad the twisted bastard is dead. What am I supposed to do, light a candle for him or something? He saved SC a lot of time and money by having the decency to over-exert himself, covering up his crime. Would be nice if they all kinda went that way, huh?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-05-11 at 15:18.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-05-11, 15:20

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-11, 15:56

I've been on a bit of an ID channel tear in the past 2-3 months (but I'm kinda reaching my point of "this is all just too grim and debauched"), but stuff like the above is par for the course. Morons killing each other - spouses, co-workers, neighbors, former flames, roommates, random psychos, etc. And almost always over the dumbest reason(s) imaginable.

It's both sad and infuriating, how quickly some seem to go to that "solution". Just no no self-control or the ability to look 20 minutes down the road..."yeah, you're going to prison the rest of your life - and all that entails - and you're only 27. Nice going...". By all means, just grab a hammer/knife/ax/gun/machete/screwdriver/brick/can of gasoline and off someone because they hurt your feelings or got a promotion you wanted, etc.

If I were a cop, I believe I'd spend most of my time in the interview room just slapping morons and lowlifes on general principle.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-11, 19:00

Exactly one week ago, upthread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Every comedian needs a good slap? Maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Andy Dick...for sure.
Today (almost as though I somehow sensed something brewing, or willed it into being):

Andy Dick Arrested While On YouTuber’s Livestream, Faces Felony Sexual Assault Charges

Gee, I'm shocked.

This guy has been a deranged, socially retarded, predatory - and criminally unfunny - cunt for decades.

Quote:
Comedian Andy Dick was arrested today by Orange County Sheriff’s deputies on charges of felony sexual assault.

Dick had been staying with a group of people living out of their RVs in an Orange County campground and livestreaming their lives together on the Captain Content YouTube Channel. According to a man named Maximiliano in the group, one of the members alleged Dick “molested” him recently.
With any luck, maybe this will (finally) remove him from free society. At least for a while? Fingers crossed...

Quote:
Dick, who starred in Road Trip and NewsRadio, has had a string of arrests in recent years including on domestic violence charges last November, for allegedly groping a Lyft driver in 2018, and a for 2010 incident involving a bouncer and patron at a West Virginia bar.
That doesn't even begin to scratch the surface with this idiot. He's certainly more "famous"/known for his awful behavior/legal run-ins than anything remotely approaching "comedy".

From his Wikipedia page, opening paragraph (after giving a brief rundown of his career...Ben Stiller's old show, Newsradio, some Comedy Central roasts, etc.):

Quote:
He is also known for his eccentric behavior, drug addiction, and numerous sexual misconduct allegations and arrests.
Yeah...that's all he's truly known for at this point. And what a set of things to be "known for". Nearly 30 years in the business, and the above is really all he has to show for it...that goofy guy who can't stay out of trouble.

Yet the trouble/charges never seem to stick or impact his ability to walk around freely. It all just somehow bounces off him. How many "third chances" and multiple arrests (for the same type of stuff...groping, sexual assault, etc.) does someone get before a D.A. or judge goes "this clown needs the book thrown at him...preferably his head." And how, smack-dab in the middle of the whole #MeToo era/movement, is he perma-"canceled"? Because some folks have lost their careers and reputations for far, far less than this guy does on a seemingly never-ending basis. Is he just hooked up with the right higher-ups, and it somehow shields/protects him from serious fallout and consequences?

PS - While at his Wiki page linked above, scroll down to the "Legal Issues and Controversies" section if you've got about 90 minutes. Good grief...this guy makes some of the Death Row Records roster look like kindergarten teachers. Almost every year, since 1999, one or more "incidents" or arrests (or run-ins with others, violent or sexual in nature). His biggest problem seems to be the in ability to keep his hands to himself. He's 56, for crying out loud...no wonder he's been punched out multiple times.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-05-11 at 19:42.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-05-12, 17:58

Apple is "no longer the world's most valuable company"? Good, if it takes the pressure and the spotlight away.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-05-12, 18:18

They’re practically doomed now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-12, 18:22

It's that oil company, right? I saw something online the other day.

Is John Dvorak still writing his "iSky is falling" horseshit?

Something like this probably gives the fool a bit of wood in the Dockers.

Yeah, it's tough to be/stay the 800lb. dog in the circus (what?), so maybe they'll relax now and quit trying so hard.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-13, 04:11

**That’s Really Wanting a Grandkid News**

A couple is suing their son and daughter-in-law for $650,000 for not giving them a grandchild

Quote:
A couple in India are taking legal action against their son and his wife, accusing the younger couple of inflicting "mental cruelty" on them by not producing a grandchild.
Yikes.

Imagine telling your kid, down the road…”yeah, your dad and I didn’t really want you, but Gammy and Pop-Pop wouldn’t STFU about it and sued us for over half a mil to squeeze you out. So...here you are! Hey, want some more ice cream?”

Pretty twisted story if you read it. Not gonna quote it all here because it’s quite a bit to take in (lots of crazy dynamics and dysfunction). But the older couple - and their idiot lawyer - come across like petty, entitled and demented pains-in-the-ass. On a good day.

The younger couple should probably cut ties and flee to the other side of the planet if they want any sort of a peaceful, normal life.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-05-13 at 09:08.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-13, 10:47

It sounds like a cultural thing that we westerners cannot understand. "Make me a son, or I'll beat you!" is just not a thing here. As if either party has that level of control over their combined chromosomes.

And maybe the son is infertile? You know, that is a thing, grandma.

An, I agree with you, Paul. "I'm out!"

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2022-05-13, 13:13

** This one goes to II News **

‘Spinal Tap II’ On Tap As Rob Reiner, Michael McKean, Christopher Guest & Harry Shearer Back For Encore

“They’ve played Albert Hall, played Wembley Stadium, all over the country and in Europe,” Reiner said. “They haven’t spent any time together recently, and that became the premise. The idea was that Ian Faith, who was their manager, he passed away. In reality, Tony Hendra passed away. Ian’s widow inherited a contract that said Spinal Tap owed them one more concert. She was basically going to sue them if they didn’t. All these years and a lot of bad blood we’ll get into and they’re thrown back together and forced to deal with each other and play this concert.”

Sounds fantastic. 🤘

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-13, 14:49

I've wondered, for years, where the sequel for this things was!

If absolute shit like The Beastmaster, Leprechaun and those recent Jurassic movies can all get (unasked-for) sequels, why not something actually deserving and desired?

Plus, there is so much more in the music/entertainment/documentary biz, 21st century, to mock, ridicule and parody (competition reality shows, Auto-Tune, reunions of real-life bands who should've gone away decades ago, the collapse of MTV/music videos, the grunge and nu-metal stuff, etc.)...so it could be a real hoot. I'm all for it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-13, 16:25

**Hollywood Passing News**

Fred Ward, Star of ‘The Right Stuff,’ ‘Tremors,’ Dies at 79

Solid, enjoyable actor. You've seen his work, I'm sure, even if you didn't know his name. He's one of those guys...been in about eleventy-gazillion things over the past 40+ years.

I first saw him in Southern Comfort ages ago on HBO or Showtime, and then in The Right Stuff, playing astronaut Virgil Grissom. Many will know him as Kevin Bacon's buddy/fellow handyman in Tremors. Great role/performance...that is an entertaining movie that I like to watch every 2-3 years. Reba McEntire and Michael Gross steal the movie, but Bacon and Ward are a hoot throughout.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-05-13, 16:35

What about Joe Dirt? Cannot forget the dirté!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-13, 16:43

Hold on to your mullets...I've never seen Joe Dirt.

Little snippets, but never the whole thing. I know Kid Rock and Christopher Walken are in it, and there's a funny scene at a fireworks stand. But that's pretty much it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-14, 16:50

**Play Stupid Games... News**

Horror moment holidaymaker wife films husband perform fatal ‘tombstone’ leap from 100ft Majorca clifftop near Magaluf

Quote:
THE horrifying moment a husband fell to his death after leaping from an 100ft clifftop was filmed by his wife from a boat below.

Shocking footage shows the 31-year-old jumping from a rockface above a Majorcan coast near Magaluf.

But instead of dropping into the sea, he hits a rocky outcrop with a sickening crunch and bounces into the sea like a rag doll.
Yeah, that's what may happen in such a scenario.

Quote:
As he leaps into the air, the man lets out a massive scream - but doesn't have enough momentum to clear the razor-sharp rocks below.

As he crashes into them at high speed, his wife can be heard shouting: "Oh my God."
I'm sure she was...as in "Oh my God, why did I marry such a stupid twat?"

Quote:
Tombstoning is a stunt where thrill-seekers hurl themselves off cliff edges and hit the water feet first.
Well, they certainly named it right, didn't they? So there's that.

Nobody involved was using their brains as intended. And what little the jumper had are likely splattered about the rocks.

Nice going, slick. Everybody happy now? Awesome vacation!

Again, that's kinda what happens when you jump from 100 feet on a 50/50 situation ("I'm supposed to hit the water and make for a totally sick video, BUT there's a solid chance I won't clear the rocks and die a painful, violent death in front of my family...but hey, why not?"

YOLO, right? "Carpe diem" for the terminally fuckwitted.