User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Browsers
RC23

2005-02-10, 13:55

Well, im getting a mac soon.

Apparently my favorite browser, Firefox, doenst run so good on macs..
Safari is pretty basic.. would like something else, and IE is plain ugly in osx.

any other good browsers for mac?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-10, 13:59

OmniWeb rocks...

...but you have to pay for it after 30 days.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-02-10, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC23
Well, im getting a mac soon.

Apparently my favorite browser, Firefox, doenst run so good on macs..
Safari is pretty basic.. would like something else, and IE is plain ugly in osx.

any other good browsers for mac?
Some don't like Firefox but it runs a treat when Safari seems just a tad bland. You could try Camino - from the same stable - http://www.mozilla.org/products/camino/
RC23

2005-02-10, 14:23

I wonder if Opera runs on mac.. hmmm
autodata
hustlin

2005-02-10, 14:40

I've switched to Firefox full-time on the mac. It runs perfectly, aside from the lack of spell check and the ugly widgets which you can swap out. But there are less downsides than with safari.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-10, 14:44

Opera is available for Mac, but it sucks. Actually, that's one thing it has in common with the PC version.

*rimshot*
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-10, 15:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
It runs perfectly [...] But there are less downsides than with safari.
That depends greatly on who you ask. Believe it or not, some people actually value UI consistency.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-02-10, 15:10

The latest nightly for Camino is fanfreakintastic. And Firefox runs just dandy on my aged iMac.
autodata
hustlin

2005-02-10, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
That depends greatly on who you ask. Believe it or not, some people actually value UI consistency.
Oh, I value UI consistency (I am a committed apple user, after all), but it seems more often than not I need a utility knife and couldn't care less if the UI's a little off.

RC23, Safari is absolutely, positively fantastic. If you need some extra tools, firefox is absolutely, positively fantastic. Sure they both have areas they desperately need to be improved, but that's life.

Then again, if you are an IE user, and from your post it looks like you are, anything would be a major, major, major improvement.
RC23

2005-02-10, 21:01

ahh.. yeah im definetly not a IE user.. I use Firefox, I was just wondering if I should use it in OS X because people are saying that it is pretty unstable.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-10, 23:10

I don't think Firefox is unstable at all.

Poorly designed in the UI department? Absolutely.
But unstable? Nah.
gjas15

2005-02-10, 23:12

and it runs circles around safari in rendering speed... im typing this in it right now
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-02-11, 00:15

Nightly builds of Camino are my weapon of choice. Second is Safari. The only reason I dont like Safari is because it is soooo slow compared to Camino and it doesnt seem to do well with multiple tabs opening at once. It gets really annoying. Camino all the way.
Jasoco

2005-02-11, 04:41

I'm currently using Camino because until Apple gets off its ass and releases a new Safari that won't slow to a crawl (i.e. when Tiger comes out; ETA in the next 5 months.) I have to use an alternative.

I was using FireFox for a while, but it was way too flakey, so someone suggested Camino. I used to use Chimera back in the day, so I decided to try the new version. Camino is closer to the Safari UI than FireFox is. I just wish there was a hack to remove the darned icons from the Favorites bar. THEY TAKE UP TOO MUCH DAMN ROOM!!!

So until Safari runs smoothly on my 1.25GHz mini, I'm using Camino.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-11, 04:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoco
...until Apple gets off its ass and releases a new Safari that won't slow to a crawl...
You may be experiencing an old problem that I just mentioned here. See if that helps any.
Jasoco

2005-02-11, 06:02

Already tried that. It's not animated GIF's. The system comes to its knees the second Safari stops bouncing in the Dock. It doesn't do this at ALL on my 600MHz G3 iBook, but on my 1.25GHz G4 mini, it's a nightmare.

In fact, when Pithhelmet was activated, it was worse. When I deactivated PH, it would go faster. And without PH, it's just unusable. I am blaming RAM for now. I only have 256MB. And until now, all my Macs have had either 640MB (iMac G4) or 712MB (iBook G3).

Also, I think I'll stick to Camino for now anyway. As "onlyafterdark" said, Camino runs circles afround Safari when opening more than one link at once. Safari is a pitiful excuse at this juncture. Memory leaks. Overgrowing caches. Even with the Debug menu and emptying my cache, it's still horrible. I love Safari, but I'd rather use something I can actually use.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2005-02-11, 19:11

I use Firefox, I don't have any problems with it. I did change the interface though.