User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPod Classic 80GB, compared to iPod 60GB Video?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod Classic 80GB, compared to iPod 60GB Video?
MagSafe

2007-10-21, 08:28

Hi all,

I'm thinking of taking a visit into my local Apple Store next weekend and buying an iPod Classic 80GB to replace my 2 year old 60GB Video. The video-out on my current iPod has never worked (even after sending it back for repair), and with that shiny new interface & cover flow on the new one's I'm thinking a change is in order, plus it saves having to look into replacing the aging battery

I have an iPod dock built into my car that plays my 60GB iPod perfectly, so i'd just like to check if anyone knows if there's any reason why the new iPod might not work? I've looked at the different measurements and it looks like it'll fit in fine, I guess I'd just like to hear if anyone else has done something similar to me and is willing to share their experience?

Thanks,

Steve.

Sorry, this should probably be in Purchasing Advice, mod's please feel free to move

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock

Last edited by MagSafe : 2007-10-21 at 08:41.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-10-21, 08:52

Are you using Apple's iPod video-out cable? If your not you have to switch one of the audio connections (White I think) for video.
MagSafe

2007-10-21, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
Are you using Apple's iPod video-out cable? If your not you have to switch one of the audio connections (White I think) for video.
Yeah, I've tried a few different one's over the year's I've had it. I've also tried my dad's 60GB with the same video cables on the same TV's, mine just doesn't seem to want to work

Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-10-21, 09:21

The iPod classic only works with Apple's new Video cables. Just an FYI.

There shouldn't be any problems using the new iPod in the dock. Other than the 80GB is thinner. But as long is it supports the dock adapters it should be fine.

It's cheaper just to install a new battery though.


MagSafe

2007-10-21, 09:55

Quote:
But as long is it supports the dock adapters it should be fine.
That's the problem though, it has it's own set of dock adapters. The one i'm using now fits nicely, so hopefully the new one doesn't move around much. I might phone up my VW though, car's manufacturer if it just isn't fitting properly.

Actually, I might look for 30GB iPod dock adapter ... that would probably be a better fit.

Quote:
It's cheaper just to install a new battery though.
I know I've gotten a hell of a lot of use out of it for my money's worth, so if people are still paying good money for it on eBay, I might as well switch to a new one and take advantage of CoverFlow, the brighter screens, new interface and hardware design

Paul
Veteran Member

2007-10-21, 10:29

I've heard from friends who have the new iPod that the new interface is MUCH slower than the old one... something you may want to consider.
MagSafe

2007-10-21, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I've heard from friends who have the new iPod that the new interface is MUCH slower than the old one... something you may want to consider.
Hi Paul,

I've had a look at the one's in store and they seemed to run really quickly, maybe WindowsRookie would like to comment on his?

I've also just read that the 80GB iPod Classic is practically the exact same size as the old 30GB, so it fitting in my car shouldn't be a problem

Also, what colour do people prefer? At the moment I'm looking at the silver version, but the black also looks pretty nice.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-10-21, 10:45

Both firmware updates 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 have worked on interface performance. It's significantly better than it was at the initial release, so take the comments in reviews with a grain of salt; they're outdated.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2007-10-21, 11:39

I had the 80GB classic with firmware 1.0 and the day I returned it 1.0.1 was released. 1.0.1 was significantly faster than 1.0.
MagSafe

2007-10-21, 11:44

Quote:
I had the 80GB classic with firmware 1.0 and the day I returned it 1.0.1 was released. 1.0.1 was significantly faster than 1.0.
Have you still got an iPod Classic? If you do, could you let me know what you think?

Thanks
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-10-21, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagSafe View Post
Have you still got an iPod Classic? If you do, could you let me know what you think?

Thanks
Firmware 1.0 was horrendous. The current 1.0.2 is nice and speedy.

That said, the iPod classic is really cool. It's a lot thinner than your 60 GB video. You'll need the new component out A/V connect kit, but from what I've heard, the picture quality is much better.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2007-10-21, 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagSafe View Post
I returned it and stuck with my iPod mini. I really don't need anything the classic offers.
MagSafe

2007-10-21, 12:38

Quote:
I returned it and stuck with my iPod mini. I really don't need anything the classic offers.
Ah ok, fair enough

Quote:
Firmware 1.0 was horrendous. The current 1.0.2 is nice and speedy.

That said, the iPod classic is really cool. It's a lot thinner than your 60 GB video. You'll need the new component out A/V connect kit, but from what I've heard, the picture quality is much better.
Great to hear, even though most of the review's i've read are positive, its always good to know Apple are constantly improving
MagSafe

2007-10-22, 08:01

Just got back from buying an iPod Classic

I ended up getting the black version, in work at the moment so won't be opening it quite yet ...but the box looks nice, really small!

Also got a free £10 gift voucher (from Argos)

PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-10-22, 12:30

I tried out a classic at Sam's Club the other day, and even with no music/album art on it, the interface was slow as fuck.

They must have still been using the 1.0 firmware on the displays.

Other than that though, I like it.
MagSafe

2007-10-22, 15:24

Got my new iPod up & running

It's far better than the old plastic design, in my opinion anyway. It feels so much nicer to hold than my old 60GB, maybe because its a lot thinner, but the aluminum is definitely an improvement on all counts.

I'm quite suprised at how much i'm using CoverFlow, it is so much quicker to just flick through until you see a cover you like the look of and turn it over to select a song. I've upgraded to firmware 1.0.2 and I can safely say the CoverFlow is seamless in scrolling through my 100+ albums/singles collection. It is a bit slow at fetching the cover art, but as they are such high-res images (practically all of my album art is from iTunes), I guess this is understandable since its still a hard drive.

A few small things i've noticed -
  • The new interface is extremely fast, it isn't slow in the slightest and is a big improvement, it doesn't get in the way at all.
  • The scroll wheel is a lot nicer to use now, i've heard a few people saying it's annoying to get used to but i've managed in only -30mins.
  • The video quality isn't really as big an improvement as i'd thought, although I have only watched podcasts on it so far.
  • The "Podcasts" menu is now on the home screen (on the iPod Video 60gb you had to go to Music > Podcasts, or Video > Podcasts)
  • I really like how it now shows the rating of the song your listening to, its a good reminder that you haven't rated it yet.

I've yet to try it in my car but i'm pretty sure it'll work, I checked there was a 30gb dock adapter, so I can't see it not working on a technical side.

Thanks for all the replies,

Steve.

P.S Answers on a post card please on what you think the album is on my iPod

Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2007-10-22, 15:28

You know you can change what's on the main menu right?
MagSafe

2007-10-22, 15:32

Quote:
You know you can change what's on the main menu right?
Oh

I suppose I did, but it wasn't something I ever thought about to change on my old one
Wrao
Yarp

2007-10-22, 20:11

Can I use this thread to express a few gripes I am having with my iPod Classic 80 GB?

1) it is TOO THIN! maybe my hands are too big, but I swear it gets uncomfortable to hold this thing for any long stretch of time, compared to the older models where I felt like I could actually get a grip on it and still use it

2) the menus and windows are slooow, even with the update, there is a lot of annoying downtime when going between certain menus

3) something about the click wheel is just... a little off. Very regularly I miss the item I am scrolling for by one item, and then I scroll back, and miss it again.

4) backlight always on is a lie, it turns off after a bout a minute

5) the battery life is good... but not if you enjoy browsing through your library actively while you listen to music. This is more my fault I'm sure, but I have a habit of just browsing through and idly looking at things, which I find seriously drains the battery a lot more than I Would have thought.

6) there is no way to turn it off? old ipods you held the center button for a few seconds and it turned off. This guy... you have to put it to sleep, which isn't even a default option in the menu? am I missing something here?

7) there are certain UI things that bug me, that I assume is a result of the more comlpicated ui(compared to the 3g iPods I had last) maybe I just need to get used to this though.

Anyway, all these gripes are not enough for me to say it isn't a great device, but somehow, I feel like the 3g iPods were better. Ah well.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-10-22, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
6) there is no way to turn it off? old ipods you held the center button for a few seconds and it turned off. This guy... you have to put it to sleep, which isn't even a default option in the menu? am I missing something here?
I've never held the center button to turn my iPod off. Its always been the play/pause button for me.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-10-22, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I've never held the center button to turn my iPod off. Its always been the play/pause button for me.
you know what... you may be right.. as I said, it has been a long time since I owned an iPod(3g) and I could have sworn it was the center button. Suffice to say, the rest of my points still gripe!
MagSafe

2007-10-23, 01:58

Yeah same, always play/pause.

I've noticed the same as well about the battery life, using Cover Flow understandably drains the battery.

The click wheel is definitely an improvement though

MagSafe

2007-10-23, 12:30

I tried my iPod Classic in the car today ... works & fits perfectly
MagSafe

2007-10-26, 03:58

Hmm, i just noticed this morning whilst driving into work that the screen's backlight is permanently on.

Does anyone think this could be a bad thing for the iPod? I drive about 2 hours a day so I don't want the backlight to burn out!