User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")
Page 21 of 33 First Previous 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25  Next Last Thread Tools
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-09-13, 18:49

He also played a senator in West Wing.

I rewatch MASH at least once a year. Never get tired of that show.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-13, 22:30

Alan Alda has actually played quite a few stinkers in recent years. He's very good at it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-17, 20:57

Any watchers of The Wire here?

I've been watching some clips on YouTube and it looks like something I'd really enjoy. Cops, crime, drugs, city politics, corruption, gangs, etc. I know that actor who played Omar recently died in real life, so I was kinda watching some of his stuff.

I want to watch this and also Boardwalk Empire (which also featured Michael K. Williams).

Thoughts, recommendations on either?
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-09-17, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Any watchers of The Wire here?

I've been watching some clips on YouTube and it looks like something I'd really enjoy. Cops, crime, drugs, city politics, corruption, gangs, etc. I know that actor who played Omar recently died in real life, so I was kinda watching some of his stuff.

I want to watch this and also Boardwalk Empire (which also featured Michael K. Williams).

Thoughts, recommendations on either?
The Wire is great. One of the best series to come out of HBO. Boardwalk Empire I was kind of “meh” on, but I generally don’t like period pieces.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-25, 12:35

Stranger Things S4 Trailer is out.

Doesn't really show much and certainly leaves more questions as opposed to details.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-09-25, 14:16

They also dropped the opening sequence of their Cowboy Bebop remake.

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/st...29609553600517
¡Damned!

2021-10-12, 19:28

Squid Game? I found it highly watchable...enjoyable in fact.

There's been some hubbub about the subtitles being off, and no lie I did feel like certain dialogues just didn't get the moment, but I still got a good idea from the acting. Recommended 7.75/10

So it goes.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-10-12, 20:12

Haven’t watched Squid Game yet, but it’s on my list.

Finished season 2 of Ted Lasso last night. It was good, though less “focused” than season 1 . Felt like they had maybe 1-2 too many story lines. That said, better than the season 2 sophomore slump that can plague story driven series.
¡Damned!

2021-10-12, 20:56

I may be the only person on the planet that doesn't like Ted Lasso. I just don't and I don't find the humor funny at all. I like many of the actors involved, but it's just a no for me. Dawg. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So it goes.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-10-12, 21:03

I don’t really think of it as a comedy at all. I kinda view it as a spiritual successor to Friday Night Lights. In particular, looking at the similarities between Taylor and Lasso.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-12, 21:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Squid Game? I found it highly watchable...enjoyable in fact.

There's been some hubbub about the subtitles being off, and no lie I did feel like certain dialogues just didn't get the moment, but I still got a good idea from the acting. Recommended 7.75/10
Um, you DO know that there was an entirely English audio track on Squid Games, right? It was amazingly well done. I was captivated.

EDIT: read the damn link, Drew.

I get it now. You're saying that the translation missed several subtle points that provided greater depth to the story. Thanks!!

¡Damned!

2021-10-12, 21:16

Anna is all in for it, and she loved that FNL series, so I'll have to get her take on it.

For me and my watching, the problem I have is there's just too much for me to reasonably manage. I have, seriously, rolling upon rolling piles of things to watch.

So it goes.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-10-12, 21:22

I don’t really think of it as a comedy at all. I kinda view it as a spiritual successor to Friday Night Lights. In particular, looking at the similarities between Taylor and Lasso.
¡Damned!

2021-10-12, 21:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
...entirely English audio track on Squid Games, right? It was amazingly well done. I was captivated.
Can't do it and believe me I've tried. Ever since Raymond Burr and his boisterous ass went full weird in '56 I just can't.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-13, 03:46

I've heard much, much worse. There was a Finnish murder mystery (that I never finished) that just hurt to watch with its dub. The one in Squid Game was almost matched to the lip movement somehow.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-13, 05:38

I always opt for subtitles so I can hear the movie in its original form/dialogue…even if I can’t understand what’s being said.

A few years back I got on a huge South Korean crime/mystery kick via Netflix and saw some great movies - Oldboy, the vengeance trilogy and about 15-20 other South Korean cops/killers/gangsters movies.

I loved hearing the original Korean acting while reading along. I’d actually watch each movie twice…the first time with no subtitles and just figure out what was going on from the visuals, facial expressions, vocal inflections, etc. Then I’d “reward” myself by rewatching with subtitles on and was always surprised by how close I was in my guesses/assumptions.

“Ahh…he did think that guy screwed him over, so that’s why he went to that house and…” and so forth.

I won’t watch anything with English dubbing…something gets lost. So I’ll sit and watch Swedish and South Korean mysteries and crime thrillers in their original language, only using subtitles if I think it’ll help me.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-22, 16:57

And, right on cue...

I don't think that Many Saints of Newark movie set the world on fire, or did The Sopranos' legacy any real favors. Not sure why anyone's thinking this needs to be a thing, other than as a money/glory-grab?

Quote:
HBO’s hit show “The Sopranos” may soon be getting a prequel series, following the release earlier this month of “The Many Saints of Newark.”

In an interview with Deadline, “Sopranos” creator David Chase said he was working on another feature film to expand the show’s universe.

Now, the entertainment news organization has reported the project may end up as a TV series for HBO Max.
Oh, bug off already.

Again...quit while you're ahead, Hollywood, and leave well enough alone. For once?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-22, 17:50

The Many Saints of Newark SUCKED.

Next question?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-22, 18:25

I think that’s the general consensus, so I don’t know what’s making them think they need to expand on things with a series.

The Sopranos, like a lot of good shows or movie franchises, had a solid, accepted beginning, middle and wrap up. Getting an attack of prequelitis isn’t gonna help or improve anything. And, if not careful, can do the exact opposite.

The amount of time/money/energy spent to retread/revisit things that don’t need it, vs. actually creating new stuff…
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-22, 22:15

Speaking of which, the new Dune movie (also on HBO) is actually really well done. The most shocking part is that it's only part 1. They haven't even greenlit part 2.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-27, 23:47

The worst television show in 10 years is now available on NBC/Peacock and I am going to post spoilers.

It is very exciting!

The show is called "La Brea", and I can't tell you how awesomely bad it is.

Premise:

A rift opens up on Wilshire Boulevard, sucking scores of people down into the bowels of the Earth.

They are not killed!

They are transported 10,000 years into the past!!

This show has EVERYTHING.

Grim overacting, CGI sabre tooth tigers, ethereally dramatic incidental music, a cuckolded psychic husband who will probably rescue everyone eventually.

There’s even an extras section on the Peacock app filled with human Henry Kissinger.

That's a thing when a streaming services provides behind the scenes footage that is so bad that you want to take two midgets* and make them watch the footage for you until they get up, hit you with a Nielsen PollMax 4000 and catch a bus to purgatory to enlist Richard Milhous Nixon to help them break into the offices of NBC to find evidence that the network is run by a defective wheelie bin.

Anyway, new episodes are released (whether you want to watch them or not) every Wednesday.

* please direct your complaints to Bill Hader

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-28, 04:19

I’ve seen promos for this. It looked a little out there and “huh?!”, sure enough. And expensive, for a TV show,

PS - A trailer, for anyone curious.

It has that whole Lost/The Walking Dead vibe to it…a Benetton ad comes to life and everyone involved suddenly has to deal with Endless Weird Shit™ for 1-7 seasons, until its viewers eventually see a squirrel and/or realize how much time they've burned watching something indecipherable/manipulative and a bit point-challenged.

But that's just my initial gut take.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-28 at 05:01.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-28, 06:58

It isn't anywhere NEAR good enough to last 7 seasons. This garbage ass script was excavated from the actual La Brea tar pit and has been carbon dated to 1991.

Dave
Ninja Editor

2021-10-28, 11:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Speaking of which, the new Dune movie (also on HBO) is actually really well done. The most shocking part is that it's only part 1. They haven't even greenlit part 2.
They have now. Don’t have a link, handy, sorry, but I’m like 98.3% sure I remember hearing a day or so ago that part 2 is officially coming.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-28, 11:19

I saw that on Deadline!
It'll be ready in 2023?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-28, 11:19

Yep, with a 2023 release. I guess it did well enough last week.

EDIT: Ha, we posted at the exact same time with that info.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-28, 11:23

Eternals Is a Disaster of Intergalactic Proportions

It LOOKS like a made-for-cable show for Weather Channel!!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-28, 12:09

What's wrong with it? Just bad effects and production? Iffy acting? Terminal Woke™-ness Above Telling Stories (TWATS)? All the above?

I think most folks are over it all at this point, after 10+ years of steady "A-team" output. After giving the world Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk and Spider-Man (all together, plus all their friends), it's really hard to give a rip about some of these other, lesser-known characters. It's a big dice-roll, expecting people to get as excited about them as they did Stark, Captain Rogers, hammer guy, etc. and that amazing world they built.

The pic in your linked article, they look like guest stars on that 70's Saturday morning Isis show I used to watch.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2021-10-28, 12:25

Is anyone else excited for the Wheel of Time show that’s coming out on Nov 19th?

Teaser Trailer:
https://youtu.be/3Fus4Xb_TLg

Trailer Trailer:
https://youtu.be/11ZozKfRqvA
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-10-30, 17:59

Somehow I missed that John Prine died, of COVID no less.

Not that this has anything to do with TV, but my wife was watching that awful maudlin POS “This is us” which I usually just ignore, unless I start mocking it, when I caught a lyric that sounded like something familiar and good.

So I quickly googled the phrases as I’d heard them, and sure enough, it’s the last song he ever recorded, in his home no less, “I Remember Everything”. Familiar, but new! Then there’s a YouTube video of him recording it in his home. From what I read, he had this one ready and played it for a few friends and they decided to record it for a 50 year retrospective documentary a few months later, and then shortly after that he was no more.

That ducking show annoys the hell out of me with its overly contrived sadness, and now it’s made me sad all day, entirely by accident.