User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Happy Birthday to admin. Alcimedes, and to all the Virgos and Libras coming up!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Happy Birthday to admin. Alcimedes, and to all the Virgos and Libras coming up!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-08-30, 14:34

Hope you have a great day, Alcimedes.

And the same to everyone coming up this month.

Not as many birthdays in September as in August. (Lotsa Leos on this board. Wow!)
¡Damned!

2004-08-30, 15:08

Cheers, Eric.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-08-30, 18:18

going out. should come back good and hammered. i can only do this so many more years before it's getting to be too much.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2004-08-30, 19:08

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a groovy time. I'm sure you will.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-08-30, 21:52

Besides alcimedes, some other 'original' .org/AN members' birthdays coming up: Moogs, Kickaha, the gelding, Mac+.

What a nice group! Makes me wonder why the Virgo I actually *married* couldn't have been as nice as you guys.

Then again, maybe he 'was', and I was just too immature to appreciate his virtues. We were *such* good friends *after* getting divorced. Weird, huh?

You guys would have liked him...laid-back, easy-going, smart, cute (!!!!!); but not very emotionally forthcoming. He's a research and development engineer in the bio-medical division of a large company.

Hey Mac+...I 'know' you're a Libra. A truly fine sign....an 'air' sign, that goes well with the Leo fire sign.

Well, you Virgos are 'earth' signs...so you should all be quite compatible with other earth signs (Capricorn, Taurus), and with water signs (Pisces, Cancer, Scorpio).

I know you guys hate astrology. Please do not feel a burning need to explain precession yet again. *I* regard astrology completely and *only* as a 'fun' thing. I don't believe in it, 'go' by it, or pay attention to it; so the whole 'precession' controversy does not bother me.

However, I *do* think astrology is interesting, because of all the many people I know for whom the sign stuff is 'dead-on' accurate. If you had an open mind, and didn't feel the need to look at this stuff with a 'scientific eye', you might find it interesting as well. I LOVE science. I don't think of astrology as science in any way, shape, or form... but only as 'fun stuff'.

Hey alcimedes, guess what your horoscope said in my newspaper today?

"Your family life could change. Don't worry; the event could be something as simple as getting a home office."

HA!!!! Now, whaddaya think of *that*??!!!!! In all the time I've been reading daily horoscopes, I've NEVER seen a comment about a home office. EVER!!!! When I saw that statement earlier today, my mouth fell open; because you were just saying that you've got a new home office. Right?

So, for all the skeptics out there, that's rather interesting, don't you think?

I'm mentioning astrology today, because I have been toying with the idea of doing a "sign-compatibility" column for the front page ( that is, discussing 'your' sign paired up with 'each' of the other zodiac signs that your lover might have). I just have to decide whether I feel like enduring the slings and arrows from you guys, in addition to committing the time necessary for such an endeavor.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-08-30, 21:57

Happy Birthday.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-08-30, 21:58

Do a bag of birthday heroin for me, Eric!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-08-31, 11:18

LoL. That's always a nice birthday sentiment...

And Alcimedes, do have yourself a fine day!

Cheers,
Moogs
Uncle Deercamp

2004-08-31, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol
Hope you have a great day, Alcimedes.

And the same to everyone coming up this month.

Not as many birthdays in September as in August. (Lotsa Leos on this board. Wow!)
Yeah. How many folks out there share the infamous 9/11 Birthday? What a downer. No one ever forgets it though!
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-08-31, 19:22

A friend of mine has a 9/11 birthday. Remarked recently how people used to forget, but on the flip side it was always a pretty cheerful day. Now nobody forgets, but everybody is in a morose mood and gives him strange looks for celebrating on that day.

Happy belated birthday to Alcimedes, etc.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-08-31, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
A friend of mine has a 9/11 birthday...but everybody is in a morose mood and gives him strange looks for celebrating on that day.

Screw those people. Unless you have a family member that died that day, there's no excuse for giving someone strange looks for celebrating, etc. What a bunch of thin-skinned light-weights we've become if people really expect everyone to be solemn and unhappy on such days.

Life happens. Get used to it.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-09-01, 10:48

Happy belated birthday!

Bah, I guess I need to read AO more frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Deercamp
Yeah. How many folks out there share the infamous 9/11 Birthday?
Well, 6.3 billion divided by 365.25 is about 17 million birthdays on any given day on average. I'm sure the statistics are skewed to certain seasons/months because some times of the year may be better for conception around the world, but 17 million is a pretty good idea.

The same number of people share Hilter's birthday and the day the US bombed Hiroshima and the day of any other "infamous" historical date. Like Moogs said, life (history) happens; get over it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-09-01, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Deercamp
Yeah. How many folks out there share the infamous 9/11 Birthday? What a downer. No one ever forgets it though!
my wife and i were married april 19th, hitler's (or the day after) birthday.
WACO. Oklahoma City. but after 9.11, no one really said anything the last couple years, it's not as big of a deal as it was......i don't think that'll be the case with 9.11....hopefully.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-09-01, 11:21

speaking of wedding dates....june 15th, always called it the ides of june

wife is a virgo, two closest friends are virgos

seems strange

as for astrology

it kinda messed me up...i was about 8 when i read that i was a jack of all trades and a master of none...and i don't know which came first but i do know that i can do almost anything well and nothing great....i blame that time at 8....things stick to you at a certain age....around the same time i was told that mayo came from when a witch with scabs all over face would come into your house at night and pick her scabs and squeeze the pus from her wounds into your mayo jar...i knew it wasn't true, but i didn't eat mayo till i was in my thirties

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-09-01, 11:30

note to self: don't eat a nice sandwich when reading threads.

i remember carl sagan talking with johnny carson about astrology (remember when talk show weren't pimp-fests?)
and carl sagan said something to the effect that if you believe your psyche is influenced or formed by the location of planets and the stars at the time of your birth, then people should research the doctors and nurses that delivered them because their gravity had much more influence then the positions of the heavens.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-02, 15:38

Other than Letterman in his hey-day there has not been a single talk show host who could hold Carson's jock since he left television. He was amazing. His ability to turn a quiet moment or an akward comment into serious laughs was unparalleled. Incredible delivery / timing too.

Long live Johnny.

murbot
Hoonigan

2004-09-02, 16:40

Shit, happy belated Birthday man.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-09-02, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Happy belated birthday!

Bah, I guess I need to read AO more frequently.
Gosh, Brad. Just always click "view today's posts" and you'll never miss a thing.

I learned 'that' the hard way.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2004-09-03, 02:51

Happy birthday cousin, oh and my mom has a 9-11 birthday.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-09-05, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol
Besides alcimedes, some other 'original' .org/AN members' birthdays coming up: Moogs, Kickaha, the gelding, Mac+.

What a nice group! Makes me wonder why the Virgo I actually *married* couldn't have been as nice as you guys.

Then again, maybe he 'was', and I was just too immature to appreciate his virtues. We were *such* good friends *after* getting divorced. Weird, huh?

You guys would have liked him...laid-back, easy-going, smart, cute (!!!!!); but not very emotionally forthcoming. He's a research and development engineer in the bio-medical division of a large company.

Hey Mac+...I 'know' you're a Libra. A truly fine sign....an 'air' sign, that goes well with the Leo fire sign.

... [snip] ...
Hi Carol, I missed this thread (even though I use View Today's Posts - if you don't visit for a few days that will happen ), but thanks for noticing that I am a Libra.

I'm intrigued by star-signs. I know that I am indecisive and can have a penchant for perfectionism that can lead to "analysis/paralysis" - but I can't tell whether that is because I read about those "Libran" traits when I was young - and consequently adopted them - or because there is some merit to the studies in astrology.

I would love to do an experiment with a child one day - telling them that they are a Leo, for instance, (if they were born a Libra, for example) - outlining their key "Leo" characterstics and then seeing how they develop as they mature. In fact, I'd like to see a Michael Apted type "7-up" series based on this premise.

As for knowledge about what sign is more compatible with what other sign - I'm at a loss. I'd like to think that those born under the Libra sign manage to get along well with all signs.

All I want is a simple life
twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2004-09-05 at 18:37. Reason: typo - it irritates me to have to look at an error I made when I come back to view a thread
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-09-05, 18:44

btw - HB for last week alcimedes. I believe you provided the server to get this place up and running originally, so my thanks as well as good wishes for your birthday goes out to you.

twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2004-09-05 at 18:49.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-09-05, 18:46

no, i provided a legit Vb license, jack provided the server. but thanks!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-09-05, 19:01

Oh OK - apologies to our good friend LoCash for mistakenly not giving him the credit for the hosting. (Do you think he'll be sober/straight enough to even notice this?)

twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2004-09-05 at 20:43.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-09-05, 20:07

I'm sober right now. Asshole I'm even going to be sober all night long!. I was fucked up last night... and the night before last. So I'm taking Sunday off and waiting until Labor Day.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-09-05, 20:42

you crack me up!
applenut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-09-05, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Screw those people. Unless you have a family member that died that day, there's no excuse for giving someone strange looks for celebrating, etc. What a bunch of thin-skinned light-weights we've become if people really expect everyone to be solemn and unhappy on such days.

Life happens. Get used to it.
not saying i think people are stupid for giving him a problem but your tone and comments are even dumber

life happens, get used to it?

have some compassion
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-06, 11:10

Sorry but my point is not to minimize what happened that day. What I'm perceiving here is that everyday people (who most likely did not know anyone personally who died on 9/11) are giving his friend not-so-friendly looks because he's celebrating his birthday. That's just wrong. To expect people to always be sad on that day or not live their lives the way they would've if nothing happened (or if it happened on 9/10), is wrong.

I have compassion for the people who lost a loved on that day; they can give all the looks they want, everyone takes time to get over their grief. But I don't have compassion for a person who is just remembering what happened and putting on a somber face and expecting everyone else to do the same.

I won't apologize for that. Think of it; if we were to be somber and non-celebratory every day of the year where something horrible in history (or our personal history) happened, what would the year be like? We'd all be depressed the whole time. You have to move on and continue living the way the people who lost their lives would want you to (and yes it's cliche but also very true IMO).

Tell you one thing, if I had died in those towers and had the power to project my wishes to people who lived to see another day... I sure as hell wouldn't want them moping around three years later. In this particular context, I'd want exactly the opposite. I would be more inclined to scold the people acting mournful (assuming they lost no one close to them), then the person acting happy on their birthday. I mean Jeezus, common already.

applenut
BANNED

2004-09-06, 11:18

sorry, but i also dont agree that you need to have had a personal loss in the attacks to mourn and let it upset you. this was a lot more than that. and it effects everyone differently and i don't think it's your right to say how someone should handle themselves, personal loss or not.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-06, 12:36

Perhaps. I guess it all depends on how directly it affected the activities of your everyday life. But you seem to be missing the thrust of my argument which is not that only people with love ones lost should feel badly when they think of it... but that whether or not you feel badly about it, you don't really have the right to give disapproving looks to others just because they don't feel as badly as you / or are getting on with their life.

Maybe "screw those people" was the wrong choice of words. I probably should've said "screw their attitude" (of frowning upon people who celebrate events in their own life on that day). Everyone is of course, free to feel bummed about it, who wouldn't with careful reflection? I don't mean to diminish that in and of itself, but don't make a concerted effort to bum others out, either.

I dunno. Seems irrational to me and frankly if I were out with a friend who was celebrating because they just got hired for their dream job, or because it's their birthday (or their wife is pregnant or whatever), I would be *pissed* if someone rained on his party by giving foul looks or saying "don't you know what today is?" kind of a deal. That's just completely counterproductive IMO.

applenut
BANNED

2004-09-06, 22:00

well.... it's just weird to me. for people to be joyous and celebratory on that day.

like last year, at the memorial at berkeley......instead of mourning, they took it as an oppurtunity to make political speeches about the war and troops and bush......and it was very awkward since it was in the center of campus and there were thousands of students talking and laughing and eating and not paying attention even during the moment of silence.

this year its on a game day....and i just think its weird to worry about football on that day. I guess it affects me differently but in a way I also find it insulting that other people don't seem to care.

I've been amazed at how ignorant and uncompassionate some people have been here on the west coast in regards to September 11th. Some of the questions I get asked about it I just don't know how to rationally respond to. It makes me wonder if its like this everywhere outside of NY and PA and DC.