User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

How do you say "OS X"?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: How do you say "OS X"?
Oh Es Ten 102 57.30%
Oh Es Ex 76 42.70%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

How do you say "OS X"?
Page 3 of 5 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5  Next Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-22, 06:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelmerguy
It is clear to me that the majority of people who say "10" used Macs before the switch to OS X.
Well, I've used it since 6.07, on a 1992 Mac LC. Maybe it's a language issue; "OS zehn" simply sounds fucking retarded. "OS X" (pronounced the German way) sounds better. In English, that's different, I suppose.
RacerX

2006-05-22, 06:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
The big X on the OS boxes also tends to emphasise the "X" as an "X" and not a 10..
So what you are saying is that the big "9" on the box of Mac OS 9 emphasised something else other than 9? What would that be? And what about the big "8" on the Mac OS 8 box?

And I'm pretty sure what the large stylized "S" on the box of the first product released by Apple to use the name "Mac OS X" stood for.

click to enlarge

Apple has used a large character unique to the operating system on every version of the OS since at least Mac OS 8.0 as I recall. And that character didn't change (though the style often did) with a change of version... an "8" was use on the boxes of 8.0, 8.1, 8.5 and 8.6 for example. The "9" on Mac OS 9 boxes didn't change at all from one version to the next (9.0, 9.1 and 9.2). So far only the style of "X" has changed on any of the Mac OS X boxes from one version to the next (not unlike the Mac OS 8 boxes).

While there is an undeniable "coolness" factor in using an X (as can be seen by Microsoft's adoption of XP for Windows in 2001, more than three years after Apple announced Mac OS X and two years after shipping a product with that name), the use of the X follows from Apple's previous use of both 8 and 9 on their OS packaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby
This reminds me of Racer X from SpeedRacer

should we call him Racer Ten or Racer Decem
I don't know what Rex Racer would prefer (though I would guess that the "x" in RacerX came from the "x" in his first name).

I picked the handle "RacerX" a long time ago (I think I started using it back in 2000) and it wasn't because of the "X" in the name... I happen to have similar history to Rex Racer's back story. I still use it because I like it rather than for anonymity (as it is pretty easy to find out who I actually am). In forums that I can't use RacerX in I use Shaw (so far that is only two forums of the dozen or so that I'm a member of)

I prefer "racer-ex" ... or just Racer in conversations (no need to be formal ).
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-05-22, 07:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX
So what you are saying is that the big "9" on the box of Mac OS 9 emphasised something else other than 9? What would that be? And what about the big "8" on the Mac OS 8 box?

Blaa blaa blaa

While there is an undeniable "coolness" factor in using an X (as can be seen by Microsoft's adoption of XP for Windows in 2001, more than three years after Apple announced Mac OS X and two years after shipping a product with that name), the use of the X follows from Apple's previous use of both 8 and 9 on their OS packaging.
I said nothing other than the 'X' has a certain look and feel to it, that to anybody, particularly the uninitiated (and non-Apple fanatic) makes the 'X'ness of the 'X' stand out, and not immediately read as 10.

After all we don't write 10 as 'X' anymore do we?

That's all. You can untwist your knickers now..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-22, 07:05

Quote:
I think what scratt's saying is that X CAN be pronounced 'ecks' (as well as 'ten'). 9 is pronounced nine only (the same for 8, I think).
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-22, 07:16

Quote:
Those are Arabic numbers. They obviously only have one meaning. Roman numbers, however, use characters from the Latin alphabet and, as such, can have double meaning. That is, they usually don't, but they arguably do in this case. You involuntarily bring up excellent proof, in fact:

Quote:
And I'm pretty sure what the large stylized "S" on the box of the first product released by Apple to use the name "Mac OS X" stood for.

click to enlarge
It's funny that you mention Mac OS X Server 1.x, since, as you can tell by the version number, the X in that case did not represent "ten".
RacerX

2006-05-22, 08:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
It's funny that you mention Mac OS X Server 1.x, since, as you can tell by the version number, the X in that case did not represent "ten".
What did it represent then? It was always referred to as "Mac OS 10 Server" by Apple... so if it didn't represent "10" what did it represent? And if it represented something else, why did they call it "Mac OS X Server"?

Of course if anyone is questioning how it was said in the beginning... we can listen to Steve Jobs talking about it back in 1998.

As for the version numbering of Mac OS X Server... that was pretty screwed up from the beginning. Originally there wasn't supposed to be more than one version released before being replace by a version based on the client version of Mac OS X... but Mac OS X was taking a lot longer than expected (when moving the Copland application environment to Rhapsody for the demo in WWDC 98 it looked like they could finish in a short time... what they found out was that what they had from Copland wasn't nearly as complete as they had thought). Add to that the mislabeling of a ton of Mac OS X Server media with version 1.1 when it was actually 1.0 which forced Apple to jump to Mac OS X Server 1.2 (and later 1.2v3).

Personally, it is easier to refer to all that software by it's Rhapsody version numbers...
Rhapsody 5.0.......Rhapsody Developer Release
Rhapsody 5.1.......Rhapsody Developer Release 2
Rhapsody 5.2.......Rhapsody 1.0 (never released)
Rhapsody 5.3.......Mac OS X Server 1.0
Rhapsody 5.4.......Mac OS X Server 1.0.1
Rhapsody 5.5.......Mac OS X Server 1.0.2
Rhapsody 5.6.......Mac OS X Server 1.2 and 1.2v3
All later versions were given version numbers based on the version number of the client version of Mac OS X it was based on... so the first non-Rhapsody version of Mac OS X Server was Mac OS X Server 10.0.3.
dazwan

2006-05-22, 09:33

I'll call it oh-ess-ecks even though I know it's oh-ess-ten.

I also pronounce Linux "line-ucks" (as in Linus), even though I know this is also wrong (apparently I read it should be "linne-ucks") .

Just force of habit I guess.

For what it's worth I pronounce tomato "tomm-arr-tow" (rather than "tom-hay-toe"), scone as "skowne" to rhyme with throne (not "skonne" to rhyme with don).
chucker

2006-05-22, 09:44

Quote:
What did it represent then? It was always referred to as "Mac OS 10 Server" by Apple... so if it didn't represent "10" what did it represent? And if it represented something else, why did they call it "Mac OS X Server"?
With a version number of 1.x (e.g. 1.2), how could the "X" possibly represent "version ten"?

And again, I've given plenty of other reasons to call it "Mac OS X Server". The Unix connection, the NeXT heritage, etc.

Quote:
As for the version numbering of Mac OS X Server... that was pretty screwed up from the beginning. Originally there wasn't supposed to be more than one version released before being replace by a version based on the client version of Mac OS X... but Mac OS X was taking a lot longer than expected (when moving the Copland application environment to Rhapsody for the demo in WWDC 98 it looked like they could finish in a short time... what they found out was that what they had from Copland wasn't nearly as complete as they had thought). Add to that the mislabeling of a ton of Mac OS X Server media with version 1.1 when it was actually 1.0 which forced Apple to jump to Mac OS X Server 1.2 (and later 1.2v3).
Ah, but such details are irrelevant for the user. Not that there are any users of Mac OS X Server 1.x left (I would hope, seeing as how bad it was ), but still. If "Mac OS X Server 1.x" is supposed to be pronounced "Mac Oh Es Ten Server One point eggs", then that's a huge screw-up indeed and nothing of true Apple quality.
RacerX

2006-05-22, 11:05

Quote:
With a version number of 1.x (e.g. 1.2), how could the "X" possibly represent "version ten"?
When Apple is saying that it represents ten it represents ten... no argument beyond that fact has any validity... including the following quote:
Quote:
And again, I've given plenty of other reasons to call it "Mac OS X Server". The Unix connection, the NeXT heritage, etc.
All of which is pure speculation on your part but has nothing to do with Apple as they have never called it "mac oh es ex server".

Quote:
Ah, but such details are irrelevant for the user. Not that there are any users of Mac OS X Server 1.x left (I would hope, seeing as how bad it was ), but still. If "Mac OS X Server 1.x" is supposed to be pronounced "Mac Oh Es Ten Server One point eggs", then that's a huge screw-up indeed and nothing of true Apple quality.
How bad was it? Do you actually know? Have you ever used it? I still use it on a daily basis and have been using it daily since 1999.

So, your opinion on this subject is about as valid as a Windows user voicing their opinion on Macs. Besides, I get contacted about Rhapsody all the time (that and the fact that my site gets a few hundred hits a day), so someone else must be using it too.

As for how it was supposed to have been pronounced, it was never supposed to have gone beyond being called "mac oh es ten server".

And in fact, from a users point of view, you can't tell one version of Mac OS X Server 1.x from another by simply looking at the system running. If you didn't know exactly where to look, you would only know that it was "mac oh es ten server".

But I can see that I'm starting to have Brad's feelings about this in common with him.
chucker

2006-05-22, 11:12

*sighs*
RacerX

2006-05-22, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazwan
I also pronounce Linux "line-ucks" (as in Linus), even though I know this is also wrong (apparently I read it should be "linne-ucks") .
That is another example where I heard about it (1994) and worked with it before I saw the name in print.

Hearing people pronounce it wrong years later when it started getting popular was about as odd as hearing newbies/switchers pronounce Mac OS X wrong when it started becoming publicly available.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-22, 11:26

I think it should be qualified to say that

Mac OS Ten is the offical Apple's pronunication, but does not make it any inherently more correct.

So really, it's more of questions whether people prefer Apple's offical pronunication or alternative pronunication which is essentially correct in its own right.
chucker

2006-05-22, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazwan
"Lee-nucks". As in "Linus". Rhymes with "Lee Brooks".

Another case where I don't mind different pronunciations at all. People do it with city names and people's names, why not with software? All a matter of accent/dialect/regional differences.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-05-22, 11:35

Quote:
"Lee-nucks". As in "Linus". Rhymes with "Lee Brooks".

Another case where I don't mind different pronunciations at all. People do it with city names and people's names, why not with software? All a matter of accent/dialect/regional differences.
Exactly. Ever been to Houston Street in New York?

Or ordered gyros on the eastern seaboard and the midwest?
RacerX

2006-05-22, 11:58

Quote:
People do it with city names and people's names, why not with software?
Well, with city names and software it is annoying... with people's names (once corrected) it falls into the category of being rude and disrespectful.

Quote:
All a matter of accent/dialect/regional differences.
Yeah, you should see how people from out of town (or state) murdered stuff in San Diego! For example, I was an assistant track coach at Cuyamaca College which is off of Jamacha Road in El Cajon, California. And usually when asked where I was born I say San Diego rather than dealing with La Jolla (which was were I was actually born).
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-05-22, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
Mac OS Ten is the offical Apple's pronunication, but does not make it any inherently more correct.
Can I just say that I think this is perhaps the wtf comment I've heard in a long time?

WTF? "Well, Coca-Cola can *claim* that the name of the brand is Coca-Cola, but I'm going to call it Pink Spotted Poodle, and I'm *CORRECT*, dammit!"

The branding company pretty much has the definitive say on what is the correct pronunciation. People may mangle it, they may even become the majority, but that doesn't make them *RIGHT*. Cripes.

Oh, and GIF? Pronounced 'jif', as in the peanut butter brand.

Criminy. Majority consensus doesn't create reality.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-22, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Can I just say that I think this is perhaps the wtf comment I've heard in a long time?

WTF? "Well, Coca-Cola can *claim* that the name of the brand is Coca-Cola, but I'm going to call it Pink Spotted Poodle, and I'm *CORRECT*, dammit!"
Exactly. You're right.

However, you forgot one tiny bit part. If you call it Pink Spotted Poodle, you are going to be looked at as a 'tard. OTOH, your friends may laugh manically at the off-the-wall reference and start a new fad.

Either way, it doesn't change the offical name at all.

Do you want to give it your own name and suffer/benefit from the consequence? Your call.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-22, 13:04

Quote:

Someone give this guy a PhD!
Oompa Loompa
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-05-22, 13:28

If you drink too much Coca-Cola it will become Pink Spotted Poodle.
I experienced that once, you know. *burps kindly*

junebughunter

2006-05-22, 13:39

I honestly say this pretty much everytime

"Oh Es Ex...I mean Ten..."

Oh Es Ex rolls off the tongue so much easier
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-05-22, 13:41

Quote:
Oh, and GIF? Pronounced 'jif', as in the peanut butter brand.
Oh whatever, dude -- it's "gif", like "give" but with an "f"... in fact, much like how it's spelled. Besides, nobody says "jraphics interchange format", do they?

(actually, I think the "gif"/"jif" debate is more a reflection on how unpredictable English is, not whether a consensus determines reality)
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-05-22, 13:57

Geez, y'all are worse than the supertrekkies.

"Oh Es Ten"
chucker

2006-05-22, 14:09

Quote:
Well, with city names and software it is annoying...
So, France is "annoying" to call Bremen "Brême" and Straßburg "Strasbourg", complete with altered pronunciation? How about the German pronunciation of "London"?

Quote:
with people's names (once corrected) it falls into the category of being rude and disrespectful.
Hardly any US American and Canadian citizen I've met has been able to pronounce my name correctly, and I don't blame them.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-05-22, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Oh whatever, dude -- it's "gif", like "give" but with an "f"... in fact, much like how it's spelled. Besides, nobody says "jraphics interchange format", do they?

(actually, I think the "gif"/"jif" debate is more a reflection on how unpredictable English is, not whether a consensus determines reality)
Actually, I threw that out there because most people do indeed get it wrong. Who claims that it is wrong? The inventors.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-05-22, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
Exactly. You're right.

However, you forgot one tiny bit part. If you call it Pink Spotted Poodle, you are going to be looked at as a 'tard.
*BING BING BING*

OS 'EX' -> look like a 'tard. Simple.
BaRiMzI

2006-05-22, 14:21

before switching i said os ex, thought it sounded cool
now i say os ten
Oompa Loompa

2006-05-22, 14:26

Quote:
*BING BING BING*

OS 'EX' -> look like a 'tard. Simple.

Come on: this discussion between hardcore purists and those who are a bit more liberal concerning whether it should be 'Oh es Ten' or 'Oh es Ex' is a never-ending story!

Triviality I call it; who the hell cares! Start measuring each others wienerschnitzels; that's much more interesting: my schnitzel is pounded to about 1/4 inch thickness.

Last edited by Oompa Loompa : 2006-05-22 at 14:31.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-05-22, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oompa Loompa
Come on: this discussion between hardcore purists and those are a bit more liberal concerning whether it should be 'Oh es Ten' or 'Oh es Ex' is a never-ending story!
Too true... too true...

They're still wrong.

Quote:
Triviality I call it; who the hell cares! Start measuring each others wienerschnitzels; that's much more interesting: my schnitzel has a 1/4 inch thickness.

Wait... I'm confused, is it a weinerschnitzel, or a schnitzel?? Which one is *correct*?!? Eeeeeeeeeee!
Meltedbutter421

Send a message via AIM to Meltedbutter421  
2006-05-22, 14:32

I say Oh Es Nine for OS9, but Oh Es Ex rolls off the tongue much better than Oh Es Ten.
Oompa Loompa

2006-05-22, 14:47

Quote:
Too true... too true...

They're still wrong.

Wait... I'm confused, is it a weinerschnitzel, or a schnitzel?? Which one is *correct*?!? Eeeeeeeeeee!
Kickaha, you deserve a good schnitzel: a German one.

P.S. German schnitzels are ridiculous in size, but they're great! Go grab some when visiting Europe!

Last edited by Oompa Loompa : 2006-05-22 at 14:55.