User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

iPod video vs. iPod color

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod video vs. iPod color
PKfanSteph

2006-06-10, 03:19

I've been wanting an iPod for a long time and now that I'll soon have a machine with USB, I'd really like to get one. But the iPod video is a bit out of my price range so I was considering a refurbished iPod color. What, aside from size and video capabilites, are the differences between the two?

I usually encode my music at 192Kbps or better (preferably lossless) so how much music could I *really* fit on a 20 or 30 Gb iPod? Mostly, I'd just like to find a replacement source for all those discs I take on road trips.

I actually have 512Mb on my cellphone and even at 128, it is definitely not enough!

Thanks in advance for the advice.

-- Steph
Is it 1981?

2006-06-10, 04:51

My iPod nano right now has 309 tracks (mostly at 192kbps) which takes up 1.69GB - multiplying that by 10 or 11-ish should let you fit around just over 3000+ tracks on a 20GB iPod photo.

The current iPod won't transfer stuff over FireWire (though you can still charge it) while the iPod photo will. On the other hand, if you're wanting to buy the Apple FM remote, that'll only work with the current iPod.

Errr... and as far as I know, there aren't any other really big differences between the two, apart from size and video capabilities (screen locks, world clocks etc). I'm sure someone else will be able to give you more advice, though. Let us know what you decide to get in the end.

Helvetica is my bitch.
System: 27" iMac i7, 2TB, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X Snow Leopard
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-06-10, 06:43

I have a 60 GB iPod Photo and a 60 GB iPod (with Video) sitting next to each other... aside from what Is it 1981? had to say, all I can think to add is:

The screen is notably smaller on the iPod Photo than on the video model. And the whole unit is significantly thicker on the Photo.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-06-10, 09:01

Whats an ipod color?
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-06-10, 17:53

I love my iPod Photo (color) because I use it like an instrument. It looks really good and feels solid when used with stereo equipment. I also love it because it was the last iPod to support Firewire, which helps speed things up.

I ripped most of my CD collection using Apple Lossless, but I also have ITMS music and some MP3s on it. I have all my iPhoto library on it too, but the screen isn't as nice for showing multiple people pictures. Still have plenty of room (10gigs) on it.

If you are looking for something that looks and feels like a solid, durable musical component and really don't need tons of portability, the photo is great!
BaRiMzI

2006-06-11, 11:22

How big is your music library?
I have a 30GB Ipod Photo and have roughly 5000 songs at 128 kbps with 4 GB free.
I had a brief chance to use an ipod video(about 2 days, not long enough)
besides the size(phot is a bit fatter but not wider) and the screen size, the ipod video has a brighter screen.
Since your low on money I suggest the 30GB photo becuase the ipod video/photo hold the same amount of songs at 30GB or 60 GB.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-06-11, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
Whats an ipod color?
A color the iPod comes in, duh.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2006-06-12, 11:54

Quote: