User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Please help......Cloning the iBook

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Please help......Cloning the iBook
canuk1310

2007-10-25, 22:29

Guys, I am in real dilemma here. My friend brought his ibook that is same model/specs as mine. He wants exact copy of what I have on his ibook. Is there any way I can clone the same image on his ? If so how do I do that. I learnt one thing last night how to mount his ibook on my ibook. I connected his ibook with mine through a fire wire cable. I booted his computer holding letter "T" and his hard drive showed up on mine. His computer had firwire symbol displayed on his ibook.....Magic !!!!
Sorry guys, I know there are lot of geniousis on this board and I might just look dumb here but I am learning everyday new things from this board.

Thanks in advance.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-10-25, 22:45

Carbon Copy Cloner should do the trick. But he'll also get all of your personal data, including things like passwords etc, so you'll have a fair bit to clean up afterwards.

That said, why doesn't he just write down what software you have and then just install it himself? That would probably be less hassle than attempting to de-personalise a cloned drive.

Ensure that you have the necessary licenses etc for the software existing on another computer.
canuk1310

2007-10-25, 22:53

I don't have any personal data as I use external hard drive and also there are no extra application. Whatever I am licensed for, he has the same license too.
What's the process of cloning ? Do I have to mount it first and where should I run that software ?
Any help is appreciated brother
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-10-25, 22:56

You must have some personal data. For example: your account password, your Safari bookmarks and so on. I reckon you'd be surprised.

Also, if there are no additional apps other than the ones it came with, then his iBook will already have all of those apps, surely?