AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Official Space Exploration Coolness Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Official Space Exploration Coolness Thread
Page 27 of 31 First Previous 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31  Next Thread Tools
Quagmire
meh

2021-07-20, 17:26

There is only one billionaire though that is driving public interest in space flight, and it isn't Bezos or Branson.

Not that again discrediting Bezos and Branson, but Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic have been fairly low key these past years so hence why these flights have garnered the image of the battle of the billionaires. Those two companies are not exactly developing their rockets in your backyard for everyone to see like the other certain billionaire's company. How many are aware of New Glenn being the other rocket Blue Origin is developing?

giggity
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-20, 18:13

Bezos and Branson are working toward recreational space flight to be sold to rich folks. But, that still provides R&D, jobs, and much learning over time.

And, yeah, the other guy is the one who is accomplishing the most. Still, they're all billionaires with wildly different methodology and end-games.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-06, 03:36

Spaceflight is difficult, as evidenced by the launch of Boeing's Starliner capsule being delayed indefinitely.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-06, 11:00

I'm not worried. Space X knows what they're doing. If Boeing can't get it together, Musk will.

You've got to remember that Boeing is a firmly entrenched government contractor, and they know how to play the game. I'm quite certain they had the Steve Ballmer Attitude™ that Space X ain't gonna just walk in here and make a rocket. So, if they can't get it together (like Microsoft before them) they'll wind up getting shut the hell out!

And good riddance!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-08-06, 14:36

Wowzers.

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1423700328717840385
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1422607954101084161
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-06, 14:44

Yipes and a half, that thing is big!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-09, 01:39

Metallic Glass technology sounds pretty cool.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-08-09, 15:34

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1423830326665650179

supposedly a callback to Lunch atop a Skyscraper

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-09, 15:37

Pretty cool stuff. Cannot wait until they light that candle!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-08-10, 13:15

Those grid fins look so small on the whole thing until you see the context picture and realize they're each the size of a couple of big SUVs. Wow. That thing is Large.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-10, 13:23

Everyday Astronaut dude scored a Starbase tour with — you guessed it — Elon Musk.

I've watched two parts of three and it's pretty amazing. They actually stand within a few yards of those grid fins as a lift struggles to move them around. They're made of steel!

Anyway, watching Elon Musk walking around the place is just a bit weird. I mean, the guy is the second richest man on the planet and he moves around like a bum, and it's very clear that his brain is working 24/7 on whatever problems are troubling his enterprises. He's even listening to Tim and "designing" rocket alterations as they wander around the factory.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-13, 12:10

Russia has accused a NASA Astronaut of sabotaging the International Space Station.

It's an interesting divergence in narratives.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-13, 12:37

Finger

Point

But, does anybody know what caused the hole?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-08-13, 14:33

I’d guess a bottle of vodka was involved.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-13, 14:38

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-14, 05:18

Okay the situation with Russia is something that I’ve just not been following closely enough.

I knew that they sent the ISS into an uncontrolled spin but didn’t know the rough details until now.

So the new module is old, assembled by shitty contractors, and riddled with software bugs. Worse yet, there’s some kind of ultra national political bullshit happening over there as well, which is informing (if not driving) the push to leave the ISS behind and build their own station.

There’s a fire happening somewhere. It’s probably a very interesting time to be in espionage.

Dr. Bobsky

2021-08-14, 10:31

The ISS will be retired. In all likelihood for good measures: if NASA is successful in establishing a working base on the moon, the need for a low earth orbit station would be mitigated; international cooperation would move beyond the draggy atmosphere in which all previous stations have resided...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-20, 23:52

That's okay, we have a fully operational battle station.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-27, 15:39

THAT'S NO MOON China announces plans for 1km-long orbiting spaceship in latest twist in space race with US

This would require sending components up to space on rockets and somehow assembling the spaceship in zero gravity conditions.

China's foundation said it was looking at “space equipment for future exploration”.

It has the goal of having a “long-term stay” in orbit.

If the a 1km spaceship was built, that would make it 10 times bigger than the International Space Station.

China's state media has revealed that the plans are complicated.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-27, 15:44

"All your space are belong to us!"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-27, 15:49

I'd be interested in seeing their trash compactor plans. Vacuum-sealed? Any railings planned?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-27, 15:52

I suspect railings are optional, what with the Empire and all.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-29, 04:07

True exploration: there's a new Landsat in town!

NASA launched the Landsat 9 on Monday. I'm looking to see a comparison chart between it and the Landsat 8 to help me decide if I'm ready to upgrade.

https://scitechdaily.com/nasa-launch...es-from-space/

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-30, 23:00

Boom!

I heard a boom while ago and assumed a branch fell on the roof.

Turns out it was flipping Elon Musk.

The Dragon Trunk came down this evening.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-13, 03:49

Captain Kirk launches in less than 2 hours. Of course I woke up to use the restroom now - hope I can get back to sleep for a few before my alarm goes off.

Edit:
They pushed until 10am Eastern Daylight Time. Time for some sleep.

https://www.space.com/blue-origin-ns-18-shatner-launch-webcast

Last edited by drewprops : 2021-10-13 at 04:32.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-13, 13:52

Well, Captain Kirk has officially been in "space". Good for him. I think that of all the "tourists" who will get to do this, few are more worthy than William Shatner. The man has been a pillar in the Sci-Fi community for, what, 60 years? For him to see "some" of the planet from space must be more than a dream come true, and I'm certain his fans couldn't be more happy themselves. That he loses control of his emotions is pretty understandable.

Congratulations, Captain Kirk.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-13, 14:03

Yeah, if it was gonna be anyone from the entertainment world...him (or Mark Hamill?).

I saw the footage after they landed and an emotional Shatner was trying to tell Bezos something and Bezos ignored/interrupted him to shake a champagne bottle and spray it around like a tool. Classless, dick move, I thought. They have all day to celebrate...let a civilian who's just been to space share his thoughts, ffs.

Even Shatner looked a little "really?!"
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-13, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Yeah, if it was gonna be anyone from the entertainment world...him (or Mark Hamill?).

I saw the footage after they landed and an emotional Shatner was trying to tell Bezos something and Bezos ignored/interrupted him to shake a champagne bottle and spray it around like a tool. Classless, dick move, I thought. They have all day to celebrate...let a civilian who's just been to space share his thoughts, ffs.

Even Shatner looked a little "really?!"
Yep. I noticed that. Bozo can have the credit for providing money to build his little rocket, but to steal the spotlight from Shatner demonstrates just how big his ego is. "It's all about me. I sent William Shatner to space. I get the credit. I, I, I, me, me, me."

Happy for Shatner, but Bozo is proving the only reason he's doing this is for the accolades. Too bad it wasn't Elon Musk.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-13, 14:44

I was watching while waiting for an appointment and watching on my phone and resisted the urge to curse out loud.

Total dick move.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-13, 14:45

Just good manners…someone’s telling you something - especially after such an event/experience - you listen to them. The rest can wait.