User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple iPad: long-term impressions

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple iPad: long-term impressions
Page 3 of 8 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-09-12, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Oh, brother. Sorry, chucker. I don't know-it-all like you do. I didn't realize that I said Droptext was the only or best app out there for doing this, which is what your question implies.

It's funny how almost every post I make these days, you make some kind of smug comment on it. Do you realize that you're doing that?

There's another way to handle those types of responses. You could have said something like, "hey, ez, have you tried WriteRoom? I find it useful. What about you?" I'm sure you're a great guy in the real world, but you come off as accusational with me in almost every post. Oh, well.

As for your question, Droptext (as the name suggests) syncs with DropBox. WriteRoom doesn't (to my knowledge). That's why I'm using it.
I bet there's an app for better attitude, too.

I was asking because you started off your post with this:

Quote:
There are finally some apps coming out that enable "cloud editing".
I see now that DropBox support was the winning criterion.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-09-12, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
How does the iPad handle large images? E.g. http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...e/pic_002b.jpg (a sample photo from the Nikon D3X).

Since I'm into photography I frequently encounter really large JPEGs on the web, which often bring Safari to its knees on my MBP. (Firefox does vastly better with this, but its image resizing algorithm is crap in comparison.) Does Safari on the iPad even attempt to display images as large as the one I've linked to in this post?
Judging from the simulator, it will work:

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-09-12, 15:30

chucker, I said there were app*s* coming out, and I gave an example. I hadn't come across WriteRoom, and I don't know when it came out, but I knew there a few apps out there recently. Elements is one. I guess you wouldn't be chucker, if you didn't always make sure to let someone know when they're wrong.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-09-12, 15:33

No bickering in my thread, please.

Thanks for testing that in the simulator, chucker. It's pretty cool that the iPad can handle that kind of image size.
chucker

2010-09-12, 15:41

Quote:
chucker, I said there were app*s* coming out, and I gave an example. I hadn't come across WriteRoom, and I don't know when it came out, but I knew there a few apps out there recently.
WriteRoom came out two years ago; hence my confusion.

Quote:
No bickering in my thread, please.

Thanks for testing that in the simulator, chucker. It's pretty cool that the iPad can handle that kind of image size.
Note that the simulator is not an emulator — it runs Intel-compiled versions of iOS apps. As such, it won't have the same resource limitations a real iOS device would have. My only actual iOS device, an iPhone 3G, is very limited compared to an iPad (half the RAM — which means about a fifth the app-available RAM — , and much slower CPU), so I can't really use it for testing this. It reached this point after several minutes:

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-09-12, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Apparently. For the iPhone, not the iPad obviously. And there still isn't an iPad version either.
CitizenTony

2010-09-12, 16:12

Quote:
How does the iPad handle large images? E.g. http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...e/pic_002b.jpg (a sample photo from the Nikon D3X).

Since I'm into photography I frequently encounter really large JPEGs on the web, which often bring Safari to its knees on my MBP. (Firefox does vastly better with this, but its image resizing algorithm is crap in comparison.) Does Safari on the iPad even attempt to display images as large as the one I've linked to in this post?
It loaded, but it took a minute or two.
JohnnyTheA

2010-09-13, 00:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenTony View Post
It loaded, but it took a minute or two.
Same here. Nice photo. What a cutie...
CitizenTony

2010-09-13, 00:12

I've just loaded that photo on my computer and it's 4032x6048. On my iPad it was more in line with 1100xSomething else. When I was zooming in I noticed that it got ugly fast, but then I saw the resolution and figured that was why. When the real reason is that it didn't show the full resolution even though it must have loaded it with how long it took.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-10-01, 12:12

I was at Target this morning and snapped this. It's been rumored, but it's obviously gonna happen. No actual iPads in stock, but there were accessories in the form of cases/sleeves, screen protectors, chargers, Apple's keyboard/dock and other things like that. The iPods got scooted down the aisle a bit...

Pretty cool. I think this will spur some additional sales.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-10-01, 12:27

I'm seeing iPads everywhere these days. My school bookstore started selling them two weeks ago and since then, two of my classmates and one of my professors have bought one. It seems to me that iPad is way more popular 6 months in than iPhone was.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2010-10-01 at 13:46.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-10-01, 12:29

Someone at work asked me today if he could test drive my iPad as he's looking to get his wife one as a present.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-10-01, 12:41

I've seen four "in the wild" in the past 9-10 days. And at the airport the other day, I saw gobs of MacBooks (various models), iPhones and two iPads.

It's an Apple kinda world. So neat to see...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-10-01, 13:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
It's an Apple kinda world. So neat to see...
Yeah, seeing a Mac is no longer a rare thing:

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-10-01, 13:44

Watch Entourage. There's a bunch of iPads on it this season.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-10-01, 13:53

I've found a really neat writing app called PlainText that syncs with Dropbox (and, consequently, things like Notional Velocity or Scrivener). It's a barebones app but that's the point. I've been using my iPad with a silicon back and propping it up while I type. And I've been reading more on books on it now that I've got a way to deal with the slipperiness of the back. I still love it. 6 months (!!) later.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
¡Damned!

2010-10-01, 13:57

Quote:
Watch Entourage. There's a bunch of iPads on it this season.
A bunch of dBags too.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-10-01, 16:07

Dime bags? Yeah.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-10-01, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Yeah, seeing a Mac is no longer a rare thing:

That's gotta be a picture from a school/program that provides MB/MBPs for students.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-10-01, 16:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
That's gotta be a picture from a school/program that provides MB/MBPs for students.
Off-topic (click to toggle):
Actually, it seems as though they've decided that owning a MacBook is an "optional requirement."

http://mac.blorge.com/2007/10/02/uni...e-exclusively/

That picture is from the University of Missouri's school of journalism.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-10-05, 22:07

Quote:
I didn't see this posted though I may have missed it: the iPad will store large JPEGs and RAW files, but will display the JPEG preview at 2x the iPad's screen size only. Any edits to RAW files in the various editors will only save up to about 5Mp images. One developer (either Photogene's or Filterstorm's) said that this is a practical limit due to the iPad's RAM and processing power. Also, no EXIF info from your photos is apparently accessible to third party software for some reason. At least I can't find any software, good, bad or indifferent, that can even display this info about my photos.

All of that said, it's incredibly handy for those end of the day reviews and quick backups using the camera connection kit.

My wife, who bought me my iPad, commandeers it for long periods of time. I just changed jobs and got a new laptop. It's very hard to remember that gestures don't work on it (it's a Dell, and doubles as a concrete shoe). I was thinking I would buy her a MacBook, but I'm now thinking I buy her an iPad and an external keyboard. Flash sites might be an issue, but I just fear she wouldn't touch the laptop at all.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-10-06, 22:38

GoodReader just became a whole lot gooder. It now has annotations!
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-10-07, 11:56

32,423 iPad apps...
zippy
Veteran Member

2010-10-13, 09:28

I really wish Apple would implement some kind of user-switching on the iPad, but in the meantime, I wish there was a way I could at least lock the mail program. When I hand the device over to someone, it would be nice if they couldn't dig around in your email.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-13, 10:18

Walmart is selling iPads starting next week! I doubt they'll be building the shrines to them that Target is, but still. I'm not a Walmart fan (is anyone?), but getting the iPad in front of more eyeballs, even if it's just the box, can only be a good thing.

Apple's going to sell a shit-ton of these things over the holidays.

I can't wait until iPhones are available pre-paid! Then they could be in as many stores as iPads and iPods.

Carcassone, one of the games I wanted as soon as I heard about the iPad, is now available on iOS. It's only an iPhone app now, but it will be a combo app, so the iPad version will be a free update. But if you buy it now, you get it cheaper — just $4.99!

Sorry torifile...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-10-13, 10:46

iPads have already arrived in some Mall-Warts. There's pics from some stores in the MR thread on this subject. The pics show it locked in a glass case in its box. No display unit or display case.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-10-13, 11:10

Thankfully I really don't like Carcassone. Actually, I'm not even sure what it is, I just know that my board game obsessed brother-in-law loves it and I don't typically like anything he does... But, damnit Robo, you are seriously flirting with my ignore list.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-10-13, 11:30

My biggest request is the ability to set a parental lock that would prevent the moving, adding or removing of apps. My kids have become very good at deleting my apps.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2010-10-14, 14:29

I really love my iPad but one thing that is killing me is that the mail app does not sync trash nor sent items through MobleMe. This is really causing problems since I cannot find previously sent emails (how am I supposed to remember if I sent it from my iPhone, iPad or one of my three computers.)

Somehow this needs to be fixed in the future.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2010-10-15, 04:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post

Note that the simulator is not an emulator — it runs Intel-compiled versions of iOS apps. As such, it won't have the same resource limitations a real iOS device would have. My only actual iOS device, an iPhone 3G, is very limited compared to an iPad (half the RAM — which means about a fifth the app-available RAM — , and much slower CPU), so I can't really use it for testing this. It reached this point after several minutes:

Loaded it up on my iPad and it works. Took about 30 seconds to load though.