User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Get your Gadgets right here folks


Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Get your Gadgets right here folks
Thread Tools
hmurchison
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LV 426
Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2004-07-06, 20:21

http://www.thedashboarder.com/

Man these folks are quick. That's one thing I do like about Apple products. They develop "cottage" industries very quickly. Apple could announce iPoop and there'd be 3 sites based around it within a week.
  quote
psmith2.0
Mr. Katan
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2004-07-06, 20:24

Yeah, especially here. Checked out AppleOutsider lately? A veritable poo-fest, it seems.
  quote
SilentEchoes
Unique Like Everyone Else
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Send a message via AIM to SilentEchoes  
2004-07-06, 20:26

I think they need to work on their graphic design skills.

I mean why the hell does their counter gadget have a stickies look to it, or why do 2/3 of their gadgets have the stickies look to them?

WARNING: Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor.
  quote
HOM
The Elder™
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: The Rostra
 
2004-07-06, 20:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEchoes
I think they need to work on their graphic design skills.

I mean why the hell does their counter gadget have a stickies look to it, or why do 2/3 of their gadgets have the stickies look to them?
Because they don't know shit about design and they just copied the files out of Apple's included Sticky widget.

It is amazing how quickly these sites pop up. I mean Tiger isn't shipping for almost a year. However you can run these gadgets in Safari. Some of the formatting gets fucked up, but they run.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
  quote
Barto
Student extraordinaire
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
 
2004-07-06, 21:11

I downloaded the Timer and Snake ones... Timer needs more accuracy (at least 1/100 of a second) and Snake isn't responsive enough. Which is bad. <game over>

Last edited by Barto : 2004-07-06 at 23:00.
  quote
synotic
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
 
2004-07-06, 23:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto
I downloaded the Timer and Snake ones... Timer needs more accuracy (at least 1/100 of a second) and Snake isn't responsive enough. Which is bad. <game over>
Safari 1.3/Safari in Tiger are both something like 10 times faster in JavaScript. Which is what makes Dashboard possible of course. Unless you're already running these in Tiger, if so, ignore this
  quote
Barto
Student extraordinaire
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
 
2004-07-07, 00:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by synotic
Safari 1.3/Safari in Tiger are both something like 10 times faster in JavaScript. Which is what makes Dashboard possible of course. Unless you're already running these in Tiger, if so, ignore this
Running in Dashboard in Tiger.

I played it some more and found the problem: quick, successive arrow key presses won't register. So not fast enough.
  quote
SilentEchoes
Unique Like Everyone Else
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Send a message via AIM to SilentEchoes  
2004-07-07, 01:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM
Because they don't know shit about design and they just copied the files out of Apple's included Sticky widget.

It is amazing how quickly these sites pop up. I mean Tiger isn't shipping for almost a year. However you can run these gadgets in Safari. Some of the formatting gets fucked up, but they run.
Yeah I know, it was a poor attempt at sarcasm.
  quote
drewprops
Bastard
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta
 
2004-07-07, 07:45

It kills me how slow Java is, even in Panther. What reeeeally chaps my hide is CNN using ads that make your Java engine crank up, what the heck?? If Dashboard is to be of any use Apple had best speed that thing up by at LEAST a factor of ten!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
  quote
Kickaha
Likes his boobies blue.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hell
 
2004-07-07, 07:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
It kills me how slow Java is, even in Panther. What reeeeally chaps my hide is CNN using ads that make your Java engine crank up, what the heck?? If Dashboard is to be of any use Apple had best speed that thing up by at LEAST a factor of ten!
Dashboard uses Javascript, not Java. And the two have NOTHING to do with one another, aside from an unfortunate marketing attempt.

Block the ads, that won't happen.
  quote
drewprops
Bastard
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta
 
2004-07-07, 16:22

Dang, I knew that DB used JS....I uploaded the Calculator code (and associated graphics) to one of my domains to see how it worked.

I really don't want to install PithHelmet if I don't have to...didn't I read about some associated weirdness with it? Did I imagine that?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
  quote
Ryan
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Promise Land of Trustafarians
 
2004-07-07, 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
Dang, I knew that DB used JS....I uploaded the Calculator code (and associated graphics) to one of my domains to see how it worked.

I really don't want to install PithHelmet if I don't have to...didn't I read about some associated weirdness with it? Did I imagine that?
I use PithHelmet, and I don't notice anything weird.
  quote
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Post Reply

Forum Jump
Thread Tools
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dashboard, Dashboards, Widgets and Gadgets autodata Speculation and Rumors 0 2004-06-30 18:13


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2021, AppleNova