AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

I need a scanner

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I need a scanner
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-18, 15:34

I recently upgraded my main machine to Mojave and now I'm without my trusty Canonc MX850 that I've used as a scanner for years and years now. Still a great scanner, but it is largely unsupported since around 2013. Anyway, I'd like a scanner that does duplex ADF scanning as well as flatbed. I really don't need a print function, but in the case of the MX850 it was cheaper to buy the all-in-one rather than just a scanner. I don't know when the last time was I put ink in it so my new machine could be that same way or just a scanner.

Anyone know of a good scanner that works well with Mac? Ken?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-06-18, 17:46

Yes, please! I am also curious about what you may find that is a) flatbed, b) good + cost-competitive, and c) macOS supported without having to use VueScan or some garbage proprietary software. I also have no need for a printer-scanner combo; you'd think standalone scanners wouldn't be so hard to pick out.

I have a few 30+-year-old photo albums that are overdue for digital conversion/archival. I had been using an ancient CanoScan LIDE flatbed, but its motor is starting to give up and there are a few places in the scanning process where it consistently produces row-doubling artifacts. It also relies on an old 32-bit version of VueScan that won't work in the upcoming 64-bit-only world of macOS.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-20, 09:46

Hey Ken! Why you ignore us? Surely you know what me and Brad are looking for.

You know, it's times like this I wish we could tag people.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-06-20, 10:10

LOL. Sorry. I hadn't even read all the way through.

We stopped selling printers and scanners several years ago. They have become commodity items and our cost is higher than the average resale prices at the big-box joints. We simply can't compete, so we don't try.

That being said, we still think Canon makes the best overall products. The ink is cheap (comparatively speaking) and they hold up reasonably well. At least as far as plastic boxes full of moving bits will hold up.

In the shop we use almost exclusively Ricoh products for document printing. Although we do have a Brother all-in-one for scanning and printing certain documents. When I get to work, I'll try to remember to look up the model number.

And, yes, generally the all-in-one stuff is cheaper than even a reasonable scanner with ADF.

If you're just looking for a single thing, then this would be it. Pricey at $300, but I bet you crafty internet buyers can find it cheaper.

Edit: So that Brother unit is an MFC-9840CDW. The thing has worked well for years, but it's probably more than you want or need.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-06-20 at 10:43.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2019-06-20, 14:41

I've been looking at using Scanner Pro that I already have on my phone for digitizing old photo prints. I don't really have any room for a flatbed and the scanners on AIO printers tend to be sub-par.

(Invision lets you @ tag usernames, just sayin' )

Edit: There are two fairly new CanoScan LiDE models that have Mac compatibility, although it doesn't mention if it's 64-bit or not. Canon's photo scanners have always been very good and priced reasonably. https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...photo-scanners