User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Remove threads instead of just locking them?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
johnny5

2006-04-03, 14:58

Hello.

In the last few months, it seems that there have been an abundance of misguided, unnecessary, tactless, and generally hasty new treads in the site, especially in the speculation forum. I'm glad to see the admins have been enforcing the posting guidelines and helping to maintain quality, but with so many locked threads cluttering the list, wouldn't it be better just to delete them instead of letting them sit around? So many of them are repetitive, and personally, I don't care to read a useless 4-post thread simply to find out why it got locked. I understand that this can be educational, but I think that old locked threads everywhere hampers users' reading and posting experience; they're like speed bumps.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-03, 15:02

Short answer:

We avoid deleting content whenever possible. We generally only delete posts if they are spam or highly offensive/objectionable. When it's a simple case of a brainless poster, leaving the locked threads in view of everyone serves as a reminder not to repeat the same mistakes. If we just delete the pointless threads, the original posters may never get the message that they're doing something wrong.

If you don't want to read through the locked threads, then don't! The locked status alone should tip you off that the thread has reached a conclusion or probably never had a decent purpose to begin with.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-04-03, 15:03

It is also impossible to mock a poster in a deleted thread.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-04-03, 15:05

I love the locked threads. They have by far the best mocking in them.
johnny5

2006-04-03, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
If you don't want to read through the locked threads, then don't!
Yeah, typically I don't, as usually the overtly vague title is a good reflection of the opening statement that lies within.
But I was just curious, really. Not a big problem.
It just seemed to me that you guys were doing a fine job of putting the garbage into bags,
but then kept forgetting to take them out to the street!

Thanks for the replies. See you around.

Jerman

2006-04-04, 01:44

I wonder if there would be a way then to have locked threads not show up. I am not even saying it is a good idea, probably not, as it would keep users who turned the function off from seeing threads that were locked, and may not help prevent them from posting the same stuff.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-04-04, 08:03

I just noticed all the chuckleheaded locked threads in the Rumors & Speculation forum. Eeek...it's embarrassing.

That "New Thread" button is just too tempting for many...

"Gee, I know it's April Fool's - and I should know better - but I heard a friend of my cousin who works with this guy I almost went to school with talking about an Apple/Etch-A-Sketch merger...I better start a thread about it at AppleNova. Everyone there will appreciate the head's up, I'm sure! And you know what? While I'm there, I'm going to create a thread about Apple's 30th anniversary, and whether or not Apple will release a 23" tablet to mark the occasion. Yeah, I know there are 11 of those threads already, but mine will be extra good and insightful!"

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-04-04, 08:52

Only if stupidity was painful... will the world be a better place...
mooty

2006-04-04, 09:34

Quote:
No way!!! If they did that you can't be chastised and publically flogged
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-04-05, 22:52

How's about this... which should really be suggested to the vBulletin dev team...

If your rating drops really low your ability to start new threads is diminished. It's like an ALLOWANCE, the worse your behavior the less you can do.

Hey wait, my trackpad stopped wor

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-04-06, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
If your rating drops really low your ability to start new threads is diminished. It's like an ALLOWANCE, the worse your behavior the less you can do.
Ohmigosh, that's the best idea I've ever heard!

That would really thin out the numbnut contingent, and it makes people responsible for their behavior. Actual consequences (other than an outright ban) for coming here and acting like a flaming dipstick.

Stop for a moment and think about who all wouldn't be allowed to start threads...

In theory, awesome. But it might get abused...everyone could "gang up" on someone they simply didn't like, monkey with their ratings/rep points and screw him/her out of starting threads. Probably not fair...

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-06, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Ohmigosh, that's the best idea I've ever heard!
Or a really bad idea, based on my explanation here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
But it might get abused...everyone could "gang up" on someone they simply didn't like, monkey with their ratings/rep points and screw him/her out of starting threads. Probably not fair...
Indeed!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-04-06, 10:54

A slight tangent-

AIM implemented warnings for long time...

The only use for it was to have fun with your friends playing "warning war." I don't think anyone has *actually* warned another user for their misbehavior. Blocking just does the trick...

Since we already have a iggy box, I guess that's about all what we can do to make it fair and accessible for everyone.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-04-07, 02:05

I'm wondering what it is up when I click on "view all posts by XMember" for some of the members and I get a a "Sorry zero matches" message. Come on guys, I want to see what these asshats finally did to get banned.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.

Last edited by Elysium : 2006-04-07 at 16:29.