AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

WTF Things You Found On the Interwebs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
WTF Things You Found On the Interwebs
Page 3 of 53 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-02-06, 17:39

How does Busch compare to say; a Bud, a Samuel Adams or Brooklyn Lager?

I'll need to triangulate it, since I haven't tasted one.
¡Damned!

2008-02-06, 17:46

From tastiest to tasteless:

Brooklyn Lager
Samuel Adams (I assume you're talking about the Boston Lager)
Busch
Bud
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-02-06, 17:51

Boston Lager it was.

Thanks.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-02-07, 06:07

Something of a treasure trove:

Wikipedia's lamest edit wars

joveblue
Veteran Member

2008-02-07, 08:11

Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2008-02-09, 13:16

College really isn't necessary
http://imagechan.com/img/img.php?id=4906

Really bad school paper......
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-02-09, 15:19

That paper is horrifying. I'm ashamed the author is the same species as me.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-02-10, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
College really isn't necessary
http://imagechan.com/img/img.php?id=4906

Really bad school paper......
That website just keeps giving, giving and giving...

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-02-10, 17:09

The oompa loompas are among us... and living in New Jersey.

These are frickin' awesome in their asininity.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/articl...eakshows/1958/
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-02-10, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
That website just keeps giving, giving and giving...

I enjoyed this one:

http://imagechan.com/img/img.php?id=4604

And this one, of course:

http://imagechan.com/img/img.php?id=3285
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-02-10, 18:07

Turn your audio up:

http://starch.ytmnd.com/
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-02-10, 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Apparently the photos in question were actually taken in Austria, where that "look" has a prominent following....
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-02-10, 19:24

So it's Austrian asininity? In that case I will stand, point, and laugh while drinking an Austrian beer.

Eh, I dunno. Evidence for NJ: Heineken, Grey Goose vodka, and the fact that most of them look like Gotti wannabes.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-02-10, 19:36

I think it's a North Jersey kind of thing, because I know a few kids from up there and they said they see those types all the time out in clubs and bars.

it's beyond stupid.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2008-02-10, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Apparently the photos in question were actually taken in Austria, where that "look" has a prominent following....
As an Austrian expat, let me tell you that this is utter BS. And as Kick pointed out, these were clearly taken in the US.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-02-11, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
As an Austrian expat, let me tell you that this is utter BS. And as Kick pointed out, these were clearly taken in the US.
Just reporting what I read.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

the origin of this picture is actually probably not NJ, but rather a techno discotheque in Vienna, Austria, called "NACHTSCHICHT" ("nightshift") whose patrons are primarily from working-class backgrounds.

The habit of using ridiculous amounts of tanning lotion - coupled with regular visits to the solarium ("soli") - is so commonplace here that you barely spend a day without seeing at least a couple of these guys on the streets. There are numerous videos and galleries on the web that provide you with "best-of" compilations of this absurd trend...

The skin hue is referred to as "Prolo-braun" (Proletarian Brown). Many of these fashion victims refer to themselves as "Krocha", which is also the name of the style of dance that they like to practice (related to the europe-wide "jumpstyle" trend). Note that not all Krocha are Prolo-braun.

"Krocha" comes from "Krachen" (to crack), and from the expression "In die schicht einikrochn" (to burst into the nachtschichtg). Some scholars think it also has something to do with the effect of solarium abuse on the skin of the affected.

Other notable rituals include the sporting a celebratory "VoKuHiLa" hair style("Vorne Kurz, Hinten Lang" = a mullet basically), the wearing of "de puta madre" t-shirts, ed hardy caps and, for the girls, the famous "Arschgeweih" ("Ass-Antlers" a tatoo near the bottom of the spine).

The newest style on the hard streets of Vienna is actually wearing cheap 5€ neon-colored baseball caps (3 colors available: pink, green, yellow - particularly effective under black light conditions), preferrably in large groups of associated "Krocha". It is not uncommon to see 10-15 of them - all sporting pink headgear - loitering around the exits of local u-bahn (subway) stations, most notably along the U1 and U6 lines. These serve the eastern side of the city (on the "other side" of the danube), the 21st and 22nd district, which is also where the "Nachtschicht" is located and where most "Krocha" seem to originate from.

Interestingly, although many of the "local" (austrian) followers of this style could be classified as having a right-wing and generally xenophobic orientation, "Krocha" come from many different cultural backgrounds, including turkish and eastern-european. Especially the turkish Krocha are taking the style to new heights by combining it with a weird mix of punk/biker attire, many wearing tight black jeans, loose t-shirts and black leather jackets.

It is fascinating to watch this trend evolve daily - as is it's language. For those of you who understand german, take a look at

http://sabsimausi6666.uboot.com/blog/krocha/

for a short introduction to the "Krocha"-speak.

cheers
Source. Comment 73.

I don't know who's right, but I'm curious what makes you say that the pictures are "obviously" from the US? I can't see any identifiable marks anywhere - except perhaps the shopping bags photo, where the bags don't appear to be labelled in English.

Quote:
Evidence for NJ: Heineken,
Dutch.

Quote:
Grey Goose vodka,
French

Quote:
and the fact that most of them look like Gotti wannabes.
(I had to look that up...) Italian.

Not the greatest proof of being made in the USA.....

I suspect that the truth is that the pics aren't actually all from the same place (well, the same guy is in a few pics..) and are simply a compilation of people with the worst spray-tans ever.

Contrary to popular belief, the US does not have a monopoly on stupid-looking people.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-02-11, 01:18

Quote:
Dutch.
And a very common beer in the US among under-age drinkers trying to be 'upscale'.

Quote:
French
Ditto for above. It's a (lame) status symbol.

Quote:
(I had to look that up...) Italian.
NY/NJ mob boss family.

Quote:
Not the greatest proof of being made in the USA.....
Seems to be three for three...

and I think the shopping bag on the right in that one photo is Aeropostale, a chain of stores in the US.

Quote:
Contrary to popular belief, the US does not have a monopoly on stupid-looking people.
Preach on, brotha.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-02-11, 01:26

Quote:
And a very common beer in the US among under-age drinkers trying to be 'upscale'.
It's a very common beer, period. World-wide.

Quote:
Ditto for above. It's a (lame) status symbol.
Again, world-wide.

Quote:
NY/NJ mob boss family.
It's hardly a unique look though.

That said, the guy in the shopping bag pic seems to have US dollars in his hand. Green money, anyway. Like I said, the pics could be from a variety of sources.

Basically it could be anywhere - the guy on Boing Boing claims to recognise the building that some of the pics are taken in, but who knows if he's right or wrong?

Last edited by Bryson : 2008-02-11 at 01:46.
zsummers
Avast!

2008-02-11, 03:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
From tastiest to tasteless:

Brooklyn Lager
Samuel Adams (I assume you're talking about the Boston Lager)
Busch
Bud
I would note, in the above ranking, that the Bud/Busch call is a close one, lest you get the wrong idea that Busch is midway between Sam's and Bud. Buddies of mine used to put chocolate syrup in Busch "to make it taste good." Or at least so they claimed.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-02-11, 08:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers View Post
I would note, in the above ranking, that the Bud/Busch call is a close one, lest you get the wrong idea that Busch is midway between Sam's and Bud. Buddies of mine used to put chocolate syrup in Busch "to make it taste good." Or at least so they claimed.
Well, if my memory serves me right, you still need to down a few Samuel Adams before you start to enjoy them.

EDIT:
This guy looks like he thinks the photographer did his girlfriend:

Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2008-02-11, 11:52

it looks like something from zoolander, that facial expression

HAHHA!
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2008-02-11, 12:47

Ok, let me elaborate a bit. That "look" doesn't have nearly the following they make it out to be. It's something you find among people who are generally lower class and who tend to work bad jobs in supermarkets, etc. The "muscle shirts" (don't know if that's what they're called in English) fit that look and clientele, though the suits and strapless dresses don't (especially the latter seem to be much more common in the US than in Europe).

The part about tanning is true, there are people who do that in a way that simply looks goofy. Especially blonde women tend to look awful that way. I haven't seen it done to the extreme shown in those pictures, but then there were places (like the Nachtschicht) I never frequented. What you quote makes sense, and the terms (I especially like "Arschgeweih" ) are pretty common. Another hint that these might have been taken in Austria is the entire lack of black people. But that's still far from being a proof ...

Quote:
I don't know who's right, but I'm curious what makes you say that the pictures are "obviously" from the US? I can't see any identifiable marks anywhere - except perhaps the shopping bags photo, where the bags don't appear to be labelled in English.
I was just zooming into that picture too, to find something I could identify. The left one seems to be from "LPC Designs", the right one I can't quite read (could be English or German, but English names and writing on shopping bags are common in Europe). There is also a red sign in the background saying "FREE" - very uncommon in Austria.

But. Look at the money in the guy's hand in the shopping bag picture: these are definitely dollars!

Also, as was pointed out before, Heineken is not a popular beer in Austria, and you would be hard pressed to find one in most places (though they might have more of a selection at the Nachtschicht). Austrians tend to drink Austrian beer, no need to import from the Netherlands. Also for vodka, there are other brands that I can't remember right now that are much more common than Gray Goose (never saw that in Austria, but then I'm not a heavy drinker ...).

Quote:
I suspect that the truth is that the pics aren't actually all from the same place (well, the same guy is in a few pics..) and are simply a compilation of people with the worst spray-tans ever.
That's very possible.

Quote:
How true ...
murbot
Hoonigan

2008-02-11, 12:53

A warning about these guys.

Douchebags running wild
murbot
Hoonigan

2008-02-11, 12:55

Wow. Lots of shit out there about these guys.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-02-11, 12:59

Those are American twits. Trust me.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2008-02-11, 14:03

Quote:

That is so New Jersey!!
I've seen idiots like this in Jersey before.
Just scary and sad.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-02-11, 14:05

There was that show on TV a few years ago about John Gotti's kids and grandsons. They looked, dressed and styled just like this. The height of TV douchebaggery, those idiots. Not one brain between the entire bunch. And had girls lined up (that's what disturbed me the most).

I never saw the show, but I'd see clips from it all the time on that "Talk Soup"(?) show.

Tell me that isn't the pinnacle of asshattery. You just want to smack all four of them on principle.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-02-11, 14:06

@ thread!

Haven't seen any of these guys here in Denmark, but that might be because I avoid the kind of places these guys probably would frequent. Maybe it's because tanning lotion haven't really caught on here? I have seen a few girls that probably used it, but generally speaking I don't think any girl is stupid enough to not notice when she looks like such a joke. I'm not saying all girls aren't stupid, but they tend to have the looks department better covered than the boys. Though, not quite clever enough to avoid the tattoo over the rump that Bryson's quote so nicely called "Arschgeweih".

"Arschgeweih"
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-02-11, 15:21

Third place is teh win!

Quote:
THINNING THE HERD 2007

Eighth Place: In Detroit, a 41-year-old man got stuck and drowned in two feet of water after squeezing head first through an 18-inch-wide sewer grate while trying to retrieve his car keys.

Seventh Place: A 49-year-old San Francisco stockbroker -- who often bragged he was 'totally-zoned when he ran' -- accidentally jogged off a 100-foot high cliff on his daily workout.

Sixth Place: While at the beach, Daniel Jones, 21, dug an 8-foot hole for protection from the wind and had been sitting in a beach chair at the bottom when it collapsed, burying him beneath 5 feet of sand. People on the beach used their hands and shovels trying to get him out but could not reach him. It took rescue workers using heavy equipment almost an hour to free him. Jones was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

Fifth Place: Santiago Alvarado, 24, was killed as he fell through the ceiling of a bicycle shop he was burglarizing. Death was caused when the long flashlight he had placed in his mouth to keep his hands free rammed into the base of his skull as he hit the floor.

Fourth Place: Sylvester Briddell, Jr., 26, was killed as he won a bet with friends who said he would not put a revolver loaded with four cartridges into his mouth and pull the trigger.

Third Place: After stepping around a marked police patrol car parked at the front door, a man walked into H & J Leather & Firearms intent on robbing the store. The shop was full of customers and a uniformed officer was standing at the counter. Upon seeing the officer, the would-be robber announced a hold-up, and fired a few wild shots from a .22 calibre target pistol into the air . The officer and a clerk promptly returned fire, and several customers also drew their guns and fired. The robber was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics. Crime scene investigators located 47 expended cartridge cases in the shop. The subsequent autopsy revealed 23 gunshot wounds. Ballistics identified rounds from seven different weapons. No one else was hurt.

RUNNER UP : Paul Stiller, 47, and his wife Bonnie were bored just driving around at 2 A.M. so they lit a quarter stick of dynamite to toss out the window to create some excitement. Apparently they failed to notice the window was closed.

AND THE 2007 WINNER IS...
Zookeeper Friedrich Riesfeldt (Paderborn, Germany) fed his constipated elephant 22 doses of a animal laxative and more than a bushel of berries, figs and prunes, before the plugged-up pachyderm finally got relief.

Investigators say ill-fated Friedrich, 46, was attempting to give the ailing elephant an olive oil enema when the beast suddenly unloaded. The sheer force of the elephant's unexpected defecation knocked Mr. Riesfeldt to the ground where he struck his head on a rock as the elephant continued to evacuate 200 pounds of dung on top of him. It seems to be just one of those freak accidents that once again proves...'Shit happens!'
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-02-11, 15:39

The last one is amazing. Buried under over 200 pounds of poo is just a nasty way to go.