Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Brick?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-09-27, 23:52

Hello all,

I think everyone is too distracted by all the politics to discuss the fruit rumours...

So, I keep seeing references to "the Brick" - some possible codename for a new Apple product, rumbling to come out late September - Mid October......

It's Asteroid all over again! They'll probably not release it if anyone finds out what it really is....
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-28, 00:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Interesting little tidbit to discuss...

"Brick", and how it relates to the new MacBooks.

Good luck. I posted about this days ago, and no one said a word.

You're right...they're all over in AppleOutsider, ass-deep in circular, go-nowhere financial and political threads.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-09-28, 00:36

I'm interested. Though my next Mac will either be a Mac Pro or an iMac for my daughter. I guess I've just had a hard time following the rumor scene.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-09-28, 00:58

It's so insubstantial at this point, I wouldn't know what to say about it. From what I gather, there may be something called "the brick", which may have something to do with the Macbook, or the AppleTV, or something else...

Maybe I'm just not imaginative enough, or perhaps it's that there are much more important issues out there for me to think about, like understanding the uses of the 7th case in classical Tibetan.

Maybe it's their new video game console?

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2008-09-28, 08:33

HEADLESS IMAC!!!!

Just kidding (though it could be )

An interesting take on the 'brick' thing was that bricks break windows, so perhaps its not a single product but perhaps a number of new lines or new methodology (reduced prices across the line) to really bite into Windows market share.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-28, 08:43

That's actually pretty good, clever thinking. I didn't even consider that neat angle.

It probably isn't that, but I like that connection you made.

Brick vs. windows...the brick always wins, you know.

Hmmm...now I'm all super-duper curious.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-09-28, 08:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
(...)

Brick vs. windows...the brick always wins, you know.

(...)
Is that so?

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-09-28, 12:07

1: video is fake

2: Brick might be some AppleTV announcement. Supposedly, they're getting new propaganda literature for it in the coming weeks, and it might be a chance to improve on the product.

My ideal would be to find some easy way to have both AppleTV with ample storage and TimeCapsule backups. Perhaps "brick" simply refers to a hard drive add-on component?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-09-28, 12:29

C|Net put up an article suggesting the AppleTV update might be the Brick being mentioned. Kinda sucks if it's true since I just got my AppleTV.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2008-09-28, 13:19

Oh please let it be a "Cube" type of thing.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-09-28, 15:33

..so long as it doesn't cost $1800, sure.

My wish, expanded:

AppleTV with:
1. easily-added HD (same stackable form factor), CHEAP/affordable
2. DVD drive in the damn thing (I'd say BluRay, but c'mon...)
3. fully transparent to the network from any of my Macs, not just an iTunes zombie. (Maybe the ATV is already like this?)

I'm itching to get an AppleTV since we decided that cable wasn't worth the cost, but I'd love to use it for more than just iTunes content. DVDs are OK, but I'd love to pull some sites to it (The Daily Show, for example, since I don't think it's worth purchasing such time-dependent content) and watch them full-screen, and be able to use my fiancee's computer contents and mine on the same device.

While we're at it, can the Remote app for the iPhone be expanded for better control of the AppleTV, say, for video? Seems like all this stuff is so close to being there. I'm just looking for a truly simple turnkey solution.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-09-30, 15:58

TUAW is reporting that the product announcement might have been delayed or canceled.

For some reason the first thing that came to my mind was rumor control. Didn't Apple, at one point, give different divisions different things to work on to determine who was leaking information? This "brick" seems like the perfect thing to find the source of leaks. After a few Keynotes with most information being known before hand, this would be a good time to stage such a stunt.

Or am I looking too far into this?

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
artesc

2008-09-30, 16:16

yes. you are. apple isn't the freaking NSA
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-09-30, 16:43

That's what you think....

I wonder if this is Asteroid all over again? The product leaked, so they're sitting on it. Might release it, might not...

Off-topic (click to toggle):
Did anyone ever work out if that M-audio Garageband thing was the eventual result of the asteroid project that Apple sold (gave?) to M-audio, or a case of paralell product development?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-09-30, 19:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
TUAW is reporting that the product announcement might have been delayed or canceled.

For some reason the first thing that came to my mind was rumor control. Didn't Apple, at one point, give different divisions different things to work on to determine who was leaking information? This "brick" seems like the perfect thing to find the source of leaks. After a few Keynotes with most information being known before hand, this would be a good time to stage such a stunt.

Or am I looking too far into this?
It very well could be as you suppose. Jobs seemed a bit perturbed at the iPod unveiling because everything had already been outed. Jobs also has no problem lashing out at leakers (see: ATI slipup before the MWNY 2000 keynote).
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2008-09-30, 22:11

I don't think anyone at  is naive enough to think that their product info is not going to leak out. They have become way too big, and have too many fanbois clamoring for info.

But yet they try, I wouldn't put it past them to run this ruse.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-10-02, 23:37

The latest Brick talk.

I have no idea...

adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2008-10-03, 04:16

It's all getting a bit silly.

I'm quite tempted to delete my MacRumours RSS feed and not pay attention to any rumours or leaked pictures until after the release (hopefully October 14th).

I miss the days of being wowed by new things I had never seen before the keynotes. The last few keynotes and special events have been a letdown because of the lack of stuff I hadnt seen, so bring back the good old days I say and surprise me.
Paranoid666au

2008-10-03, 06:33

It's probably just an updated Apple TV with full dual 1080p decoding and built in Blu Ray drive.

It could also be and possibly in addition to the above, some type of media server. Media sharing around the house is a failed exorcise for the average person. So Apple will probably come along, shove some pre-existing technology together in a way no one has quit thought of before and revolutionise the home media experience.

iPhone - finger licking good.
rampancy

2008-10-03, 11:41

9to5Mac is clearly pulling crap like this to get more page hits, and MacRumors at least had the decency to put it on their Page 2 quackery section. I absolutely hate idiots like that who put up teasers promising more info "coming soon" (whether it be on Mac rumors, or other things). 9to5Mac clearly has become the new MacOSRumors.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-10-03, 13:44

Meaningless picture used to excite fanboys: Check.
Vague promises that they know stuff: Check.
No valid reason given why they won't tell us now: Check.

Hit-whoring. Screw them.
zsummers
Avast!

2008-10-04, 20:48

MacRumors reports "the Brick" refers to the manufacturing process used to make the case--it's being carved out of a single brick of aluminum using lasers and water (but no gorillas or sharks).

Kinda cool. But definitely not worth the hit-whoring.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2008-10-04, 21:14

On the other hand, it is more plausible than a lot of stuff I read. I mean, it's a bit far-fetched, but it does have some basis in history/fact. If it turns out to be true, I will be EXTREMELY impressed by the move.

Especially as far as innovation, moving manufacturing back to the US, and avoiding support of … questionable (to be nice) … policies on behalf of Chinese firms.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-10-04, 21:17

Meh - the only reason this is really cool (and IMO it is) is because it means that they can do some frickin' sweet physical design on the cheap. You thought the MBAir was interesting? Expect more like that.

Thin, strong, and sleek.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2008-10-04, 21:18

The rumour references Oppenheimer saying that "Apple's competitors won't be able to match" for some time to come. We expect the process to drive down the prices of MacBooks over the next few years and at the same time allow Apple to continue to lead in the innovation department."

I suppose that just means that MacBooks will now be priced the same as PC notebooks...albeit without seams.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-10-04, 21:44

That's fine with me!

Sure, we all know the benefits and reasons to go with a Mac, but it gets tough to sell buddies, co-workers and family on a MacBook when they see a similarly (or better) -spec'd machine routinely going for less ~$700 at Best Buy. Unfortunately they're often not looking at the "big picture" (OS X, iLife, security, ease-of-use, etc.) and just see the 2.4+GHz, 2GB RAM, DVD burner, etc. for $400 less than the entry level Apple notebook.

I know there's more to it than that (usually), but that's just how many people look at things or shop. That's just true.

If this helps Apple get down in price just a skootch more, that's great. Even if it's just $100 (so they can say they offer a notebook for under $1,000)...I don't expect the impossible, and I don't really think the "Apple premium" will - or should - ever go completely away. But that $1,099 (with 1GB and a Combo Drive) can look a little under-spec'd/overpriced to a lot of people.

Apple needs to chuck that thing anyway at this point. It's 2008 and the entire lineup should be SuperDrives...
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2008-10-04, 21:48

I'd love to play the "well, Apple isn't shipping its manufacturing jobs overseas" card. Because some of the PC diehards are also the American-flag-waving political lemmings who would eat that right up. Maybe not switch, but at least give 'em pause. Cognitive dissonance or something.

You know, the same ones that hate Apple for being too hippie.

If true, one wonders if Apple would have the balls to market something that way… probably not their style.

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-10-04, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed View Post
If true, one wonders if Apple would have the balls to market something that way… probably not their style.
I can't see a "Made in America" sticker on the box. That'd be weird. But I can see it being a page on the website, just like the "hey Greenpeace, look at how green we are" page exists.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2008-10-04, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
I can't see a "Made in America" sticker on the box. That'd be weird. But I can see it being a page on the website, just like the "hey Greenpeace, look at how green we are" page exists.
Yeah, but then Greenpeace would complain because the facility's Robotic Laser Apes pose a world domination threat.

(Well, it has robots, lasers, and is run by Charlton Heston's "apes.")

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-10-05, 01:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed View Post
I'd love to play the "well, Apple isn't shipping its manufacturing jobs overseas" card. Because some of the PC diehards are also the American-flag-waving political lemmings who would eat that right up. Maybe not switch, but at least give 'em pause. Cognitive dissonance or something.

You know, the same ones that hate Apple for being too hippie.

It would be a lie, all their manufacturing is in China.